IGNORED

Photographers

kakapo

Hey babe,

My niece wants an SLR for about £200-£250 max. Doable? What should I be looking at? Recommend me something. Plain English please, I know nothing of cameras.

Thanks,

kaka

(The only person Tauboo doesn't like)

The Big Place

Osmond Slot Half

Wakbury Junction

London

I'm assuming she wants a Digital SLR right?

I got my first DSLR about a year ago. I bought a Nikon D3300 which is their entry level model (I'm not really using it anymore because I'm only shooting film). But it is pretty ridiculous for how much it costs, you do pretty much anything you want with it and its a great camera for learning by doing. I'm pretty sure any of the entry level SLRs from Canon or Nikon would be great if you can find one in your price range. I'm not in the UK and can't really find a site to check prices and stuff for you

Thank you digman.

get a second hand Praktica. great cameras and cheap. proper 35mm SLR, none of this digital shit.

For god's sake BCM, she is a child, a female child.

Look for a Canon with 4 digits in the model number (eg 1000D) which are the 'starter' SLR range. You could probably get one around that sort of price (though if you want it with the kit lens, which I'd imagine you do ! It may have to be a display or second hand model - e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0014IK7QO )

mho:

pentax k7s come pretty cheap these days and are really well-built(alloy chassis), with a good ergonomic layout, somewhat weather-sealed and quite compact in size.

ebay.co.uk lists a k7 with 3 lenses and accessories for 199£ nr.261823309217

not high-end but a very usable set. 1 prime lens 50mm and 2 zoom lenses from 18 - 200mm.

how old is your niece btw.? you might want to print out this for her:

http://fotoknigi.org/photo_books/Michael_F_O_Brien_Norman_Sibley_The_Photographic_Eye.pdf

despite the age, a really well made student guide with exercises and everything.

Archived