IGNORED

Where Can I Get

tarsier888

Guest twiddler

Just wait 'till you hear 'Buckie High'...

Finally, someone who agrees with me on this. Buckie High is, hands down, THE best song by them. Nothing could ever describe the feeling i get when i hear this track. It's the most chill track ever. Oh, and Tarsier, download 'Alpha Rainbow', and then '5.9.78'. You'll fall in love.

buckie high is a pretty weak track to me. 4 chords i've heard many times before, repetitive, wah-wah-wah-wah filtered, and that nice slowed down clumsy house beat. "THE best song by them" oh please it's not bad really but nothing so special

Well I would get into a whole conversation on how it's my opinion but due to the stupidity in this post it's really probably pointless. Why do YOU like your favorite song?

Thank you lumpenGriff, u r teh winar.

i'll consider "the stupidity in this post" as another one of your opinions and not get into "a whole conversation" - as I said, the song is nothing special, kind of bland for BoC

Why do I like my favourite song?

I have so many favourite songs for so many different reasons, the point is, how can a real music lover have one favourite song? You gotta be pretty narrow minded.

Hey uuh...just curious,

what kind of bitrate are we talkin here...

my few old tunes as well as otv.2 is 160kbps

whereas otv.1 is 320kbps...

I'm a stickler, plus I wanted to know if there was a better quality version of fot and otv.2 :grin:

160kbps and sucky quality.

Let's all hope for a real retail release with decent quality.. but I don't think that'll happen because they'll kinda have to remake the tracks then... quite a burden. Decent mastering won't be enough to crank up the quality imho. Those tracks need to be mixed all over again.. pretty much remade yes.

I am quite sure BoC has DAT masters of all these tracks, so second-and-third generation copies ripped to a lossy audio format is a poor judge of the need to "remake" these tracks. Plus, there are asshats who reencode MP3s (turn a 320 to 160 thus making even more audio artifacts and loss), and then you download and wonder why the quality's so poor.

Hey uuh...just curious,

what kind of bitrate are we talkin here...

my few old tunes as well as otv.2 is 160kbps

whereas otv.1 is 320kbps...

I'm a stickler, plus I wanted to know if there was a better quality version of fot and otv.2 :grin:

160kbps and sucky quality.

Let's all hope for a real retail release with decent quality.. but I don't think that'll happen because they'll kinda have to remake the tracks then... quite a burden. Decent mastering won't be enough to crank up the quality imho. Those tracks need to be mixed all over again.. pretty much remade yes.

I am quite sure BoC has DAT masters of all these tracks, so second-and-third generation copies ripped to a lossy audio format is a poor judge of the need to "remake" these tracks. Plus, there are asshats who reencode MP3s (turn a 320 to 160 thus making even more audio artifacts and loss), and then you download and wonder why the quality's so poor.

Let me bring it you like this:

Take a random track from geogaddi and encode it at 320kbps and another one at 96kpbs. Obviously the 320kbps will sound better BUT that 96kbps version will still sound a lot better than any track of the various Old Tunes we got here.

This hasn't got anything to do with recoding mate but more likely with their mixing/mastering skills at that moment when they made those old-tunes-tracks. Recoding tracks won't make the sound that crappy like you hear on the Old Tunes, trust me; it's obviously more than that. (And anyway 160kbps ain't that bad either...)

I bet you the original DAT tapes also sound very weak compared to the tracks on for example Geogaddi.

Besides the real asshats reencode the other way around; transforming 160kbps into 320kbps and spreading it all over the internets.

Yes, that is annoying when they upencode for whatever reason they think is a good one...

But take the 'known' tracks off of AFOT like I Love You - they sound (at least off my cassette) just like the CD versions on MHTRTC. So I don't think too much remastering would have to be done for these to be of release quality.

Also, there are tracks with sample violations in them that would probably prevent those tracks appearing (Nine Rubber Wisdom with the Toni Basil sample comes to mind, as well as We've Started Up with Flashback's Imagination), so even if they released any of the OT's, it would probably not be all of them but more of a 'best of' compilation.

Or, what would be really cool would be to issue them as they are, on limited edition cassettes, with the black and white xerox J cards, almost as if they were giving to the fans what they originally gave to family and friends - a personal, from the heart gift.

Guest Moebius
Yes, that is annoying when they upencode for whatever reason they think is a good one...

But take the 'known' tracks off of AFOT like I Love You - they sound (at least off my cassette) just like the CD versions on MHTRTC. So I don't think too much remastering would have to be done for these to be of release quality.

Also, there are tracks with sample violations in them that would probably prevent those tracks appearing (Nine Rubber Wisdom with the Toni Basil sample comes to mind, as well as We've Started Up with Flashback's Imagination), so even if they released any of the OT's, it would probably not be all of them but more of a 'best of' compilation.

Or, what would be really cool would be to issue them as they are, on limited edition cassettes, with the black and white xerox J cards, almost as if they were giving to the fans what they originally gave to family and friends - a personal, from the heart gift.

I really don't think sampling is that big of a deal. In most cases sampling is legal; even when people sue, it doesn't mean they have a case, it's more to scare people off and make their lives difficulty while looking for a settlement.

I didn't hear about any legal trouble for prominent samples of Leslie Nielsen or Hair in BoC's officially released works.

The fact is many electronic artists use samples, and I'm sure Warp is well used to dealing with it. I don't think Boards of Canada uses recognizable samples much more than any other artist on their roster, and I don't think Old Tunes uses a great deal more than the usual BoC.

And finally, with the nature of material BoC likes to source from, I doubt most of the copyright holders would even notice or care enough to threaten action. Especially if this release is done on a quiet level with the understanding that it's something more for the small percentage of die-hard fans rather than for a wide mass release.

Sampling is a big deal - most of our electronic artists we listen to keep sample-ladel releases under 1000 copies to keep the heat off (the R2D2 and Popcorn tracks were left off the Caustic Window CD releases due to more than 1000 being pressed, and the fact they contain Lucasfilm samples and a remix of sorts of a semi-famous 70's song). Planet-µ's Criminal series was limited to less than 1000 due to sample clearance issues.

The examples you cite are hardly noticable (considering the Leslie Neilson one comes from a 70's documentary series, and the Hair one is virutally unrecognizable), whereas the ones I mention would gain far more notice.

I don't think the sample issue is insurmountable.

I totally agree with the last part of this sentence. I also agree with you about the quality of the Old Tunes DATs likely being good enough for a reissue. But I don't want anything on cassette. My best case scenario would be a lavish box set with every release on it's own cd with its own original artwork (only remastered and with higher quality printing), plus a book with any biographical info or info about the old tunes period, or anything extra BoC would like to include really. Basically, if there is a boxed set, BoC should try to preserve the integrity of the original recordings while they remaster them, and give them the sort of deluxe packaging they deserve.

If the sets were $100 a pop, I'd still by several.

Guest Moebius

If sampling really does become a problem, maybe they could just "oops" leak flac copies of the masters. :boc:

Guest twiddler
The examples you cite are hardly noticable (considering the Leslie Neilson one comes from a 70's documentary series, and the Hair one is virutally unrecognizable), whereas the ones I mention would gain far more notice.

Are you talking about Aquarius??? Even the song name is the same as the original and actually everyone I know who has seen the movie Hair(and this means a lot of people) and heard the song was like "Oh, this is from the beginning of Hair, right?" the secong it kicked in.

Seriously, to my standards even the loop from Strawberry Fields on Kid for Today was relatively easy to spot. And we're talking about the Beatles.

it looks like some one made a new account (Nlogax, he only has 3 posts) for the main purpose of flaming me... sent me a PM titled "SHUT UP" and then it went on to say "You are so fucking annoying! You are such a BoC noob...get the hell out!"

anyways, i just ignored him for now, but i'd like to know who this person is.. :confused:

is that kind of crap allowed in this forum? i really hope not..

Guest twiddler
it looks like some one made a new account (Nlogax, he only has 3 posts) for the main purpose of flaming me... sent me a PM titled "SHUT UP" and then it went on to say "You are so fucking annoying! You are such a BoC noob...get the hell out!"

anyways, i just ignored him for now, but i'd like to know who this person is.. :confused:

whoever he is, he must be a pretty miserable idiot who has plenty of time to waste on such things... he is the one who should get the hell out.

by the way, what is a BoC noob? i don't know what that means but before he leaves, i hope he will explain :laughing:

Guest Iain C

Just ignore it mate, there's twats everywhere you go sadly, just a fact of life

Archived