IGNORED

Two Experimental Microtonal tracks!

Brisbot

I did these a couple months ago, but have been getting in this kind of mood again so I'm looking for feedback.

Considering I haven't posted either of these to watmm ( I think ), here they are:

https://soundcloud.com/evoava/last-rave-xl-024

https://soundcloud.com/evoava/cruel-bomb

These were honestly experiments in sound more than attempts at composition, going crazy with things. I'd generally tone things down to the 12 tone scale, but every once in a while I get in this mood where I feel like experimenting, trying to get some interesting timbres I either haven't heard before, or don't hear enough of.

I love how dark the microtonal scales allow you to make things. When you try to make something dark with 12 tone, it generally comes out as ominous, but I haven't really heard anything that reaches the level of ominous as in microtonal. That said I still tend to stick with 12 tone stuff.

I also think microtonal stuff is harder to make than 12 tone. A lot less intuition involved, for me at least, and I remember having to think a lot more about what I was doing.

yeh those do sound a bit on the darker side, especially the 2nd one. nice bubbly sounds going on and nice sense of space with the reverbs. i recently started doing some microtonal experimentation too and i agree that it can be harder for several reasons, including actually making your hardware (or even software) do it. nice tracks

oh yeah man, I guess a better way to say it is that microtonal scales sound more genuinely dark. 12 tone is kind of fickle and can sound contrived when going for similar feels.

For all of my microtonal tracks.. I just go by gut feeling. I use software and i'm pitching everything by ear. Ideally I'd look up these scales, but I kind of have a feel for their pitches from other microtonal tracks i've heard. Not the most efficient way, but it works.

I remember finding a way to pitch to other tet's but the software was WAYYYY outdated. like a 90s GUI. I forget what it was called. It was mentioned here on WATMM.

I remember finding a way to pitch to other tet's but the software was WAYYYY outdated. like a 90s GUI. I forget what it was called. It was mentioned here on WATMM.

scala?

scala?

oh yeah, it was Scala. I couldn't get it to work, which is probably a good thing. Though if you know of any recent software that lets your transpose plz tell :)

Thanks Paranerd and Verdant!

Yeah, I'm fond of quiet drums in relation to the synth sounds. I'm glad you think it's amazing verdant :P though I think I can do better now.

last rave: great variety of sounds and use of panning in the beginning! This is very interesting, a little frenetic at parts, but it smooths out nicely to counter act that mostly. great "watery" sound around 3:00.

I feel like that hi hat at 3:30 is a bit boring.

I can see what you mean by not paying attention to composition much, as the sounds on here are unique, but don't seem to add up to what they could be since they are so great.

Cruel Bomb: very nice intro into that bass! great sounds again so far...I really appreciate your ear on this one!

I love the snare rush coming in out of nowhere being a "real" snare sound, nice juxtaposition with the other synthetic sounds.

Even though you say you weren't going for composition on these, I think this works as a great understated track. It feels like you're taking your time and not rushing anything.

I did these a couple months ago, but have been getting in this kind of mood again so I'm looking for feedback.

Considering I haven't posted either of these to watmm ( I think ), here they are:

https://soundcloud.com/evoava/last-rave-xl-024

https://soundcloud.com/evoava/cruel-bomb

These were honestly experiments in sound more than attempts at composition, going crazy with things. I'd generally tone things down to the 12 tone scale, but every once in a while I get in this mood where I feel like experimenting, trying to get some interesting timbres I either haven't heard before, or don't hear enough of.

I love how dark the microtonal scales allow you to make things. When you try to make something dark with 12 tone, it generally comes out as ominous, but I haven't really heard anything that reaches the level of ominous as in microtonal. That said I still tend to stick with 12 tone stuff.

I also think microtonal stuff is harder to make than 12 tone. A lot less intuition involved, for me at least, and I remember having to think a lot more about what I was doing.

Great tracks! Share more please!

Last rave is amazing.Those detuned bubbly acid lines are delicious.What synth did you used to make them?Absynth?

Archived