IGNORED

Making music with limited free time

ganus

If anyone feels they need long consecutive hours for working on tracks, here's a technique I developed when I was working full-time, about 8 years ago:

Sleep every other day. On my music days, I would come home from work around 6~7 PM, then I'd work on music or whatever projects until 6~7 AM, which would give me ~12 consecutive hours. The next day, I would come home and sleep for ~12 hours. Repeat.

From a health perspective, I do now feel that it's best to work a few hours here and there, but if you need dem long hours, this technique does work.

A few years prior I fasted for a couple weeks, and what I noticed from that is that I had a LOT more free time, due to not eating. In scheduling I tend to loosely pencil-in 1 hour for meals, but more realistically, it's about 3 hours (prep, eating, cooldown/digestion). That's 9 hours of time spent on food.

Do not do this if you are over 30

This is an interesting idea, extending sleep and awake time. We're synced with the earth's 24 hour rotation but what if we were on a planet that had a 48 hour rotation. If we evolved on that planet, our awake and asleep time would be doubled right?

In our current state, i don't think this is a very good idea, its like over clocking a computer and having it sit for a couple days then doing it again.

If anyone feels they need long consecutive hours for working on tracks, here's a technique I developed when I was working full-time, about 8 years ago:

Sleep every other day. On my music days, I would come home from work around 6~7 PM, then I'd work on music or whatever projects until 6~7 AM, which would give me ~12 consecutive hours. The next day, I would come home and sleep for ~12 hours. Repeat.

From a health perspective, I do now feel that it's best to work a few hours here and there, but if you need dem long hours, this technique does work.

A few years prior I fasted for a couple weeks, and what I noticed from that is that I had a LOT more free time, due to not eating. In scheduling I tend to loosely pencil-in 1 hour for meals, but more realistically, it's about 3 hours (prep, eating, cooldown/digestion). That's 9 hours of time spent on food.

Do not do this if you are over 30

This is an interesting idea, extending sleep and awake time. We're synced with the earth's 24 hour rotation but what if we were on a planet that had a 48 hour rotation. If we evolved on that planet, our awake and asleep time would be doubled right?

In our current state, i don't think this is a very good idea, its like over clocking a computer and having it sit for a couple days then doing it again.

It's maybe more like pulse width modulation... Or not. In general, I've found that the benefits of sleep are not linear-- more sleep drastically improves health. Likewise, rewards of life can be better experienced by working hard, and long consecutive hours of art AND working full time can push stamina to the limit.

But I don't believe the standard working day allows for major benefits of working or rest-- it NEEDS to be hacked.

Guest Chesney

I have pretty much zero time to make music because of work and kids etc but I get bits done when I can. Planning to finish an album in the next month.

Luckily I have a setup I can switch on, patch in and get into really quickly. No staring at a blank arrangement.

Guest skibby

as desire and attainment increase, free time decreases. desire binds you into contracts, bills, doctor visits, child rearing, and children with contracts, bills, doctor visits and grandchildren. this seems to be how 'karma' works. good news is we get to die in the end, catch is we don't always know when the end arrives.

what was that about 'free time' again?

Guest skibby

Oh you made me feel so good about my seemingly "Perfect" life, thanks. ;)

hehe hey, we all got here more or less the same way, and most of us will leave in more or less the same mysterious way, i actually respect life and people, it's just that I am working on a comedy routine most of the time.

i think everybody is looking for their audience whether they know it or not. take Carlin for example, obviously he didn't accidentally set out to find his audience.

same goes for music. i think good music is comedic in nature, and comedy is based on tragedy, which is really really weird to consider.

I also try to think about where a song should go during the day and try to save night time for implementation of ideas, I frequently save out mp3s and put them on google music so I can test them out in the car on the drive to work

I've found this is really helpful, too. When I'm working on a song or album I try to keep the current versions on my phone. Something might sound good when I'm in the moment composing it, but not later when I've taken a step back.

With regards to the actual composition, Reason can give you a very fast workflow... it's all self-contained, you can run it on modest laptops (although robust computers handle it better, obviously), and it's also easy to combine projects. You can quickly make bare-bones, partial songs, or just a couple loops that work well together, and easily fold them into other projects. In that way, you can spend a little bit of time each day working on small components, and then once you have a large selection of musical ideas, you can combine them. If you mostly use Reason for triggering notes instead of recording audio, that's a huge time-saver as well, since exporting audio is way faster than recording it.

When my life becomes super busy, I will try my best to set aside a single day a week where I do nothing but make music.... say 13 out of 16 hours of being awake. It depends on how important it is to you i suppose. Besides that I will occasionally do 2 days, and will work on it as much as i can the others.

Archived