IGNORED

7 Cutting

Schlitze

Anyway, I remember being told 7 Cutting was actually supposed to be the AFX track on the Mealtime compilation but they ended up with Bummy in the end (would be cool if this could be confirmed by Bambi perhaps). That makes this track from around 1996/1997 I guess :)

Interesting, '97 would have been much earlier than i would have reckoned but it's one of the tracks that's hard to work out when it was done, it has that Go Plastic sound which alludes to Steinvord 'Maelstrom' with that growling low end, and also a bit of kickbeat/lullaby melody of HAB and Come to Daddy. Would have guessed the natural evolution of this sound would have been about 2005 based on release dates but would have probly been recorded a couple of years earlier :shrug:

Anyway, I remember being told 7 Cutting was actually supposed to be the AFX track on the Mealtime compilation but they ended up with Bummy in the end (would be cool if this could be confirmed by Bambi perhaps). That makes this track from around 1996/1997 I guess :)

Interesting, '97 would have been much earlier than i would have reckoned but it's one of the tracks that's hard to work out when it was done, it has that Go Plastic sound which alludes to Steinvord 'Maelstrom' with that growling low end, and also a bit of kickbeat/lullaby melody of HAB and Come to Daddy. Would have guessed the natural evolution of this sound would have been about 2005 based on release dates but would have probly been recorded a couple of years earlier :shrug:

Like jchgf, I definitely hear straight up CTD sounds in here, but tbh I thought it was later than 1997 too. I just had it confirmed yesterday that it was indeed this track that Mike P. wanted for the Mealtime comp. Suprises me that Aphex says in the description that he got distracted with this for Windowlicker as those tracks would be a few years apart? Interesting thought :)

Nevertheless, such a lovely track. And just thinking about HAB3 and 4 though...

Yeah, cheers, holy shit, i can't believe this is such an old track! The tracks that Terminiator ''Pops'' AFX thinks he'll find suitable for our amateur ears are in 2017, word.

And this fucking steinvord again, oh my fucking christ...this track is nowhere near the programming precision that is in Cutting track, Richard admitted himself he was The Tuss all the time and he could have done the same thing with Steinvord but that was some kid from Spain and Richard agreed to release his music on Rephlex, that's all!

You have to finally realise that nowadays every fucking idiot can make rdj-sounding track and Richard said that himself in interview if im not mistaken...

he didn't admit he was the tuss the whole time, funshine. There was a point when there was speculation.

kind of like with the vordster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphex_Twin#The_Tuss

I agree with Adamovich and not at the same time, basically this:

Please show me all these idiots that sound more like Aphex than Steinvord does.

Sure, anyone "can sound like RDJ" (whatever that means) nowadays but few can do it right (namely, develop an interesting/cool track beside being an editing genius and whatnot). Thats why he got signed, richard said he likes the tracks (soundcloud comment) and they released anything he and Grant enjoyed, there's not much to add about it. Im always looking for more artists that can do proper braindance but always end up listening to the same few guys that can pull it off. I mean if you think "anyone" can make stuff like "iyff acid" I don't really know what to say. Same goes for Monolith and so on, those guys stand out, its pretty obvious.

This is the soundcloud track that convinces me RDJ is Steinvord (or contributed to some tracks)

Listen to Steinvord - Untitled (an unreleased myspace track)

Now listen to 7 Cutting

At the very least their sonic palette is VERY similar, eerily similar especially given that 7 Cutting was released way after that Steinvord track, and the overall style is just the same in my mind. I'm talking about the small (lol idk) beats mixed with the melancholy piano in the background. It's very tussy, specifically the early middle piano part of death fuck.

I don't know the words to describe it but you should hear what I mean. they are just too similar in style

Idk man maybe I'm wrong but I am convinced. Even if it's not RDJ I don't actually give a fuck, I bought Steinvord LP to support whoever it is they are the best. I just think those two tracks seal the deal for me

The sound palette from the Steinvord tracks sounds pretty different to me than Richard's or Tom, the production is just different. The one track that clicked my "speculation" thing again was that one recently uploaded by richard called "pretend analog" or something like that, where he did the experiment of doing a track fully using virtual VSTi's as far as I can remember. This coupled with the fact the track isn't professionally mastered shows the undeniable impact of high quality gear/hardware vs soft and proper mastering, WHILE still showing great sense of rhythm, melody, and just an overall cool track. It shows you aren't going to make great tracks no matter how much money you spend on your gear without talent and at the same time it shows with just softsynths you can't fully get that particular "analog" vibe. Then again, some of the Steinvord tracks sound so different to each other, as if they were made with years of difference, using different gear, either hard or soft. Some click me into thinking "this sounds like some sort of soft synth thing" and other stuff sounds hardware. The editing/arrangement is overall pretty consistent.

Anyway my point is, if someone completely anonymous uploaded that "pretend analog track" not in a million years I would have instantly said "this is obviously RDJ", it would have fooled me enough into thinking it could maybe have been someone else with "an unusual natural talent to sound like RDJ" if that makes any sense.

With the latest Tom records is something similar. I would love to be able to listen to his latest record 10 years ago. If I heard Damogen Furies in 2004, it would sound so alien to me. It's interesting how much production and sound changes over time. I wonder if I would be able to tell it's Squarepusher that did that record. Probably If I heard Rayc fire 2 I would say some pretty random names such as "It's Richard Devine trying a more melodic approach" or something along the lines. Anyway /bored rant at work.

Archived