IGNORED

Making of Geogaddi

spunktronics

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

I edited my post. Could be for a 2000xl, would be tight. Def not a 60.

Edit: yeah you're probably right with other dimensions, I was too fixated on the case depth.

Guest Chesney

Not all elements/mixes will be put to tape, especially not worn out tape. But I bet there is some toing and froing to various tape scenarios in the studio. Like with anything, I doubt there will be a routine, they'll just go with whatever the sound needs.

I doubt there will be a routine, they'll just go with whatever the sound needs.

That's for sure.

I was just asking myself if their warm sound is produced by putting some of their samples through tape, overdriving the input on the tape recorder slightly. I heard something like that from a mastering engineer. Could be they used the same technique.

We have five or six samplers, but my favorite by far is still the Akai S1000. It's an old tank now, and the screen has faded so that I almost can't read it, but I know it inside out. It's the most spontaneous thing for making up little tunes. It adds something to the sound — maybe the lower bit depth has something to do with that.

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Equipment#Akai

Guest Chesney

Yeah I think so, why I mentioned it earlier but couldn't be bothered to google the rear panel. miim got it though.

I bet they have a few. The 950 and 1000 have a specific sound and the 3000 for better specs for live.

As for "warm" That's kind of a redundant buzz word. You can record warmly all digital. Some of the most lovely round warm sounds I have in tunes are just as likely digi synth/drums processed in various ways, mainly digitally.

Of course, tape can give you a warm sound but it's mainly gluing the sound, filling up the gaps, taking off top end and muddying bottom.

(urgh muddy bottom)

I love tape for this.

Edit: There you go ha ^^^

i heard they were using logic even for their first one (MHTRTC). i dunno if they were recording audio to it or just using it to sequence things. didn't boc have an akai s1000 sampler too?

Id be interested to find this source

record to tape and saturate everything = lush warmness

We have five or six samplers, but my favorite by far is still the Akai S1000. It's an old tank now, and the screen has faded so that I almost can't read it, but I know it inside out. It's the most spontaneous thing for making up little tunes. It adds something to the sound — maybe the lower bit depth has something to do with that.

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Equipment#Akai

i heard they were using logic even for their first one (MHTRTC). i dunno if they were recording audio to it or just using it to sequence things. didn't boc have an akai s1000 sampler too?

Id be interested to find this source

record to tape and saturate everything = lush warmness

Yeah bocpages is a good source. Somewhere they mentioned a "secret weapon" and people have speculated it's a MPC.

For Tomorrow's Harvest they mentioned using a VHS recorder to create a very specific sound on one track, manipulating a field recording of road noises or something.

They also have mentioned using very old vintage tape recorders from the late 50s and 60s, the kind that were not compact cassette nor stereo reel to reel but entry level Dictaphone stuff for novelty use (or spying in some cases). They mentioned Grundig specifically but any of the 100s of brands from that era will acheive the same shallow, old time-y radio effect and/or wow and flutter (if it's in really bad shape).

You can find them on ebay for cheap sometimes. I have a slightly different version of this.(

), They are fun to play around with.

As mentioned before, their sound modeling is very layered and multi-faceted. We're talking old tape to lo-bit samplers to yet more tape, other analog sequencers, etc. It's def unpredictable.

Guest Chesney

I wouldn't get too excited. They are not going to sprinkle your tunes with gold... regarding Grundig TK.

It's a fun exercise and certainly gives a lofi sound. I sometimes use a telefunken 200 for this and it's really fun for the process, which is as much important as the sound, otherwise you could do similar (not same) other, easier ways.

Definitely. Most of BOC's sound comes from the processing of samples, which we know often comes/came from lo-fi (and presumably cheap, at least at the time) gear. They are just master arrangers and sound manipulators.

I always thought the 'secret weapon' was their Roland sh101 - which you can get a free VST/AU emulator of, TAL Bassline. Pretty sure they used Logic to arrange too, because I accidentally recreated the falling pitch delayed birds chirping with Delay Designer.

yo guys i just put this album on and while clicking it in itunes realised that for all these years i've been reading the title wrong, i thought it was called geodaddi not geogaddi

fuck

I always thought the 'secret weapon' was their Roland sh101 - which you can get a free VST/AU emulator of, TAL Bassline. Pretty sure they used Logic to arrange too, because I accidentally recreated the falling pitch delayed birds chirping with Delay Designer.

ah, maybe that was it. its the lead bassline in roygbiv after all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh I was convinced the Roygbiv bassline was from a Moog. I mean the starting preset of Arturia's minimoog sounds "almost" exactly like it.

maybe im wrong

i know thesh101 was the lead off some of RDJs stuff like polynomial-c, theres a vid of people recreating that track

Archived