IGNORED

Writing in a shitty home studio

Root5

Laptop with no f key so a USB keyboard. Broken audio out with a £7 USB "soundcard". Mouse. No hardware. Typewriter interface.

Still people keep asking to put me on vinyl so I must be doing something right.

Oh yeah £15 sennheisers as well with a flaky connection in the left ear.

Oh and one of my goto vst synths won't save patches so I have to screencap the settings and save to jpg in mspaint and copy them back in whenever I open a project that incorporates that synth.

Oh and one of my goto vst synths won't save patches so I have to screencap the settings and save to jpg in mspaint and copy them back in whenever I open a project that incorporates that synth.

what vsti is this? Aren't the synths parameter settings automatically saved withing your song file, or use your host to save/recall fxb/fxp's?

Guest Chesney

yeah, I would kill to be able to not work and just make music. I have so little time to do it, it hurts. Although, I sorted the studio out today and it's the most efficient, tidy and streamlined it's ever been. Stoked.

time...tell me about it! 3 dayz ago i came back from work after surviving a 29 hrs shift! fak this moronic earth! yes, i like my job but cmon / work at least 250 hrs monthly + two parallel postgraduate courses, students, 'other' science projects, several 'side' educations... yes, music my ass! but hey, i have time to watmm :emotawesomepm9: (but besides of chess.com, watmm is my only netfun place that i visit regulary) :mu-ziq:

oh yes...i had a gf, somewhere...hmmm :cerious:

The less I look at the screen the happier I am. I just want to make music as I hear it, let that govern the way it should be. If I look at the screen it's easy to get bogged down in making things look pretty or follow ideas by numbers. Some people work better that way.

You got to buy the things that most suit your way or idea of how you want to work. Me, means I need gear to make it happen. If you want a massive screen, good monitors and a controller then do it, spend time and money on treatment though not more and more plugins each month. Plugins lust is worse than gear lust ;)

I bought a bunch of gear and then realised that it's not very good for the intricate prog stuff I've been working on in Renoise. Having said that, I did start making some minimal tech as a result.. even though I use the gameboys/miniature electronics more than my monomachine :P

Guest Chesney

I guess that's where the marriage of the two is the best of both worlds. I believe gear is more about the fun and interface aspect but also about merging different sound sources to create unique mixes. The DAW and software will always be the most flexible but all the sounds from one source can make for dull music. (not always;)

Laptop with no f key so a USB keyboard. Broken audio out with a £7 USB "soundcard". Mouse. No hardware. Typewriter interface.

Still people keep asking to put me on vinyl so I must be doing something right.

Oh yeah £15 sennheisers as well with a flaky connection in the left ear.

being a minimalist/lofi-ist is similar to being vegan

Archived