IGNORED

deerhoof - the magic

thanks for the bump on the new track, debut and plastic thrills are great, checking this new one asap. been listening to them loads recently, that ensemble del niente thing is awesome, and there's always so much live stuff on youtube. they're the ultimate rock band for me really.

thanks for the bump on the new track, debut and plastic thrills are great, checking this new one asap. been listening to them loads recently, that ensemble del niente thing is awesome, and there's always so much live stuff on youtube. they're the ultimate rock band for me really.

yup! so excited about this album. what's ensemble del niente? i've also been listening to them a ton lately. pretty much the only thing i have on my phone right now.. so good. i love how they're able to cram completely contradictory ideas/moods into tracks and still have them make sense in some weird way.

• 1 month later...

i like the new lp quite a bit but it's bit too overstuffed with trad. rockers, not quite enough of deerhoof weird, though when it hits it hits fucking good especially in the second half. like the gorgeously warbled ink spots cover with a deliciously off kilter rhythm section, that satomi-on-bass iphone recorded track too, really shows how central she is to the band, it encapsulates deerhoof very well in 47 seconds, i always thought greg was the main creative force behind it but i guess it's actually satomi. and nurse me is just a schizoid masterpiece.

• 4 months later...

I got this recently and it's great, really captures what I've always liked about them. I think their last few albums were sounding too polished, and this one totally flips that, it's all gritty and raw and that fits their sound so much better. It feels fresh and energetic which is great for a band to pull off when they've been around for so long. 

Archived