IGNORED

Bad advice you've been given or does not make sense

Bechuga

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Just don't worry about your crippling social anxiety and or phobia, everyone gets nervous sometimes, ignore it and it will go away, all you have to do is stop worrying so much"

I hate people who give advice like this

*Actual* advice would be to understand why you're anxious (fear of judgement, fear of embarrassment , fear of injury or death, etc) and work towards solving that through exposure therapy, or talking yourself out of certain cognitive habits, or letting go of useful goals/values you didn't even know you had

Once I learned (and then internalized) the fact that behind every behavior* or emotion lies a desire, troubleshooting my life (and understanding the people around me) suddenly became a billion times easier

*save for, yah know, muscle spasms

"Just don't worry about your crippling social anxiety and or phobia, everyone gets nervous sometimes, ignore it and it will go away, all you have to do is stop worrying so much"

*Actual* advice would be to understand why you're anxious (fear of judgement, fear of embarrassment , fear of injury or death, etc) and work towards solving that through exposure therapy, or talking yourself out of certain cognitive habits, or letting go of useful goals/values you didn't even know you had

Once I learned (and then internalized) the fact that behind every behavior* or emotion lies a desire, troubleshooting my life (and understanding the people around me) suddenly became a billion times easier

last conversation i had with my dad was about my anxiety and he explained why i shouldn't be anxious for like 30 minutes. at the end of it has asks , so , do you feel better now? i was like, no, and then he got upset and was like, i just told you why you shouldn't be anxious. anyways, that happened 

From where I'm standing, there appear to be two (and a half) strategies for dealing with anxiety:

1) CBT and its many variants...exposure therapy, Zen Buddhism, all the stuff I mentioned above

2) reframing the experience of anxiety...when you exercise, you experience pain...but the context makes it 'good pain'...similarly, the experience of anxiety happens when we stray from our comfort zone and our limbic system tells us 'uh, dude, this shit is whack' (like, when you're next in line at a coffee shop and your body thinks you're about to fight a fucking grizzly bear or something lol) and we freak...but since we know intellectually that our limbic alarm is over-sensitive, anxiety can be seen as 'good pain' as we're expanding our comfort zone...

Fuck it) benzodiazepines

last conversation i had with my dad was about my anxiety and he explained why i shouldn't be anxious for like 30 minutes. at the end of it has asks , so , do you feel better now? i was like, no, and then he got upset and was like, i just told you why you shouldn't be anxious. anyways, that happened 

holy lol

"heat death of universe therefore your problems don't matter"

"do you feel better now"

"no"

as a young person growing up in the 90s Western Medical Practitioners instructed me to only consume cereal, milk & oj. i did as i was told. and now i'm a fucking palestinian.

What up fellow moosulman. Was your Western Medical Praktitioner also a graduate of Bovine U.?

Also did you know you can't spell practitioner without tit? Something to chew on while we sup the sweet nectar.

as a young person growing up in the 90s Western Medical Practitioners instructed me to only consume cereal, milk & oj. i did as i was told. and now i'm a fucking palestinian.

What up fellow moosulman. Was your Western Medical Praktitioner also a graduate of Bovine U.?

Also did you know you can't spell practitioner without tit? Something to chew on while we sup the sweet nectar.

Sup it

Sup it good

photo-thumb-8787.png

From where I'm standing, there appear to be two (and a half) strategies for dealing with anxiety:

1) CBT and its many variants...exposure therapy, Zen Buddhism, all the stuff I mentioned above

2) reframing the experience of anxiety...when you exercise, you experience pain...but the context makes it 'good pain'...similarly, the experience of anxiety happens when we stray from our comfort zone and our limbic system tells us 'uh, dude, this shit is whack' (like, when you're next in line at a coffee shop and your body thinks you're about to fight a fucking grizzly bear or something lol) and we freak...but since we know intellectually that our limbic alarm is over-sensitive, anxiety can be seen as 'good pain' as we're expanding our comfort zone...

Fuck it) benzodiazepines

having wrestled with severe ptsd for far too fkn long, 2 avenues of "good advice" to consider might be Guided Imagery and Music/GIM:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=-pHOU8n5Bc_H8ge1xoJA#safe=off&q=guided+imagery+and+music

and EMDR:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=-pHOU8n5Bc_H8ge1xoJA#safe=off&q=emdr

granted, benzos help & not knowing the accessibility of GIM where you're located i'd have to express that its effects are v slowly seeping into creating days where certain symptoms dont go full behemoth this end.

it borrows from certain meditative breathing techniques, but it goes much much further to where your mind can begin to articulate & untangle the various threads that underpin symptoms/problems through the blending of musical repertoires & images you yourself create with the therapist

its utterly profound to the point where for the 1st time in a LONG time certain benzos are gradually being reduced, which is a minor triumph in itself

if you like reading, theres an outstanding text outlining case-studies, music pieces and methodologies:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guided-Imagery-Methods-Individual-Therapy/dp/1849054835

if you know Jung's stance on imagery, you'll know about archetypes etc, but its when you can finally get the stage where your own mind releases things from the subconscious that you gradually begin to heal

please dont think i'm being patronizing, have a rummage as the US has its own GIM programs & maybe theres something accessible which could help

ease-e!

Archived