IGNORED

Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence

Bechuga

devintownsendprojecttranscendencecd.jpg

While I liked all his recent stuff, Z2 felt like he was starting to run out ideas. But this one is Devin back up to full speed, having relinquished a little control to his band members and the results are great! A recording of Truth is not unwelcome either. Album feels like a calmer Infinity or a more energetic Accelerated Evolution. Good shit.

Vinyl comes with an etched side D:

41H%2BELTThmL.jpg

can't wait for Devin to be over with this string of EPIC orchestral albums tbh, gimme more SYL and more Deconstruction. Or more Casualties of Cool. But this stuff's just boring to me

"But if Transcendence really is to be the last Devin Townsend Project album why does he feel the need to move on now? ‘I think there's parameters with DTP that didn't exist with Strapping’ he says. ‘I saw a really interesting analysis of the differences between DTP and Strapping the other day. It said DTP is like a really nice slick sports car and Strapping is the same car jumping off a cliff and getting hit by lightning! There’s less danger in the parameters set by DTP, consciously so, because that's what I needed to do after Strapping. I needed to somehow reel it in but there’s a part of me that feels like I now need to lash out again. Not in the same way that I did when I was 23, but I feel the mentality that I’ve supressed now for a decade needs to come out again.’"

You might be getting your wish! I doubt it will be full SYL but something intense at least. That said, I think he said his next thing is a symphony, so whether that includes metal guitars remains to be heard.

Album feels like a calmer Infinity or a more energetic Accelerated Evolution. Good shit.

Have only heard the singles and am liking what I've heard so far. Waiting for the physical to actually arrive before I finally give it a listen. Also, did you get the bonus disc? if so, how is it?

gimme more SYL 

will never happen

and more Deconstruction

He may return to that but I wouldn't bet on it. Also, in terms of epic and orchestral that is THE most epic and orchestral work in his discog I'd say.

Or more Casualties of Cool.

That will happen, and I'm very much looking forward to it. His next thing, however, is going to be an actual symphony called The Moth, then more Casualties.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I've really been enjoying this album.  The few songs that are more 'obvious' Devin I gravitated to straight away (Truth, Failure, Higher) but after half a dozen album listens the tail end of the album is starting to open up more as well, and songs that I had thought were 'just OK' are actually proving to be really rewarding.

The song 'Transcendence' is beautiful and haunting and I woke up with it stuck in my head this morning.

Sagan - I do not have the bonus disc, but the two last songs on the vinyl are bonus tracks and they're solid enough. I often find the bonus discs for Devin's stuff not all that good. Not shit, but not worth buying the deluxe for.

can't wait for Devin to be over with this string of EPIC orchestral albums tbh, gimme more SYL and more Deconstruction. Or more Casualties of Cool. But this stuff's just boring to me

"But if Transcendence really is to be the last Devin Townsend Project album why does he feel the need to move on now? ‘I think there's parameters with DTP that didn't exist with Strapping’ he says. ‘I saw a really interesting analysis of the differences between DTP and Strapping the other day. It said DTP is like a really nice slick sports car and Strapping is the same car jumping off a cliff and getting hit by lightning! There’s less danger in the parameters set by DTP, consciously so, because that's what I needed to do after Strapping. I needed to somehow reel it in but there’s a part of me that feels like I now need to lash out again. Not in the same way that I did when I was 23, but I feel the mentality that I’ve supressed now for a decade needs to come out again.’"

You might be getting your wish! I doubt it will be full SYL but something intense at least. That said, I think he said his next thing is a symphony, so whether that includes metal guitars remains to be heard.

Thanks for the info, really interesting bit. He's spot on about his own music, which is good; he's always been really self-aware afaik, maybe too much for his own good. Again, I don't think his recent stuff is bad; I just don't like it personally

Archived