IGNORED

Resonate (streaming service)

Kidrodi

https://resonate.is/in-the-details/

I've been following this project for a while and it finally seems to be getting attention. It's a music streaming service basically.

The main idea is that, instead of a monthly subscription, you give little payments every time you listen to a song until you play it enough times that you've essentially paid for it, that way you're "directly" supporting the artist. You can read the details on their website. 

It looks pretty promising, I think.

Which part? the one where artists get paid?

I assume you don't stream music and I don't either but a lot of people do. I think it's pretty obvious at this point to know that Spotify doesn't give a fuck about supporting the artists so I think it's at least a nice thing to have as an alternative for people that care.

i stream music every day and pay Spotify for their premium service (actually i'm using it as i type this).

obviously paying artists more is a great thing but paying for every track you stream is a dumb idea. i don't want to have to keep track of how much i'm spending by just streaming music. if you want to buy the tracks digitally then just buy the tracks.

i just can't see who this appeals to because it doesn't appeal to casual listeners who just want to stream and it doesn't appeal to people who pay for music downloads because they can just buy the files off any other better source.

edit: and nobody wants to pay to to listen to a new track/artist. if you listen to a track and don't like it, why would you pay for the privilege? lol

It appeals to people who like the idea of streaming music but also want artists to get paid. The reason I don't use any streaming services is exactly that, I'd rather buy the tracks than get them for free with ads shoved down my throat, much less give money to those services and keep artists get fucked.

As far as paying goes, the first listen is essentially free. The amount of money increases the more you listen to the track until you've reached 1$ (after 9 or so listens) and the track is free after that, you've paid for it. So you wouldn't pay any more or less money than if you bought the music directly anyway.

Just read it here: https://resonate.is/stream-to-own/

Holly Herndon, Mike Paradinas and Kode9 are into it, of the top of my head. I don't know, I'd give it a try at least.

i probably listen to 100+ tracks a month (source: figure pulled from my ass) so this service would cost a fortune. good luck to em. hope it goes well but the pricing system is just pants on head retarded to me.

Once you own the track you can download the file. I don't know if it happens automatically or not, I haven't used it.

So then what's wrong with bandcamp? You can preview before you buy, if you like it the artist gets paid, and you can stream it to your hearts' content.

Once you own the track you can download the file. I don't know if it happens automatically or not, I haven't used it.

So then what's wrong with bandcamp? You can preview before you buy, if you like it the artist gets paid, and you can stream it to your hearts' content.

Nothing at all. They end up being more or less the same thing, it's up to you which one you want to use obviously. 2 cool things are better than 1 in my eyes, that's all :shrug:

Archived