IGNORED

Nord Modular G2 meets Csound

eczem

http://cdm.link/2018/02/nord-modular-free-software/

Anybody mess with this yet? 

I've never worked with the Nord Modular (just the Nord Lead 2) or Csound, but I've always wanted to, particularly the Nord. It sounds like you can use the Software editor with Csound to reproduce NM G2 patches.. I've skimmed the white paper and it looks they have most of the functionality, but had trouble modeling 'Random' elements and such. Not sure if MIDI control is implemented or not.

Seems like a fantastic idea, gonna try to get set up with it sometime.

Holy shit that's awesome. I see G2s going for $2-3k in Australia and never want to spend that much money, this is a great substitute.

edit: ok, I read a bit more about it and while it's a good start, there are still a few issues. The main issue is that there are still a large amount of modules that aren't supported, and it hasn't been updated in 3 months, so it probably will be a while before it's 100% usable.

The other issue I can see is that it only works by sending pre-saved patches to the converter, rather than being able to repatch live. I guess the live functionality is a whole other level of interpreting (sysex?) instructions so we may not get that any time soon. That said, it'd probably not be too difficult to create a custom GUI for it that replicates the G2 editor's features.

It's good progress though.. and is making me think more about how I can replicate G1 modules/patches in Max.

Holy shit that's awesome. I see G2s going for $2-3k in Australia and never want to spend that much money, this is a great substitute.

edit: ok, I read a bit more about it and while it's a good start, there are still a few issues. The main issue is that there are still a large amount of modules that aren't supported, and it hasn't been updated in 3 months, so it probably will be a while before it's 100% usable.

The other issue I can see is that it only works by sending pre-saved patches to the converter, rather than being able to repatch live. I guess the live functionality is a whole other level of interpreting (sysex?) instructions so we may not get that any time soon. That said, it'd probably not be too difficult to create a custom GUI for it that replicates the G2 editor's features.

It's good progress though.. and is making me think more about how I can replicate G1 modules/patches in Max.

Yeah, it's hard to (edit:imagine) enjoying patch creation if you can't hear the changes being made in realtime. I guess I inferred too much from this: "And the graphical editor that lets you create Nord Modular patches just became a peculiar Nord-specific editor for Csound."

Depends on how fast the turnaround is from Nord patch to hearing the sound in CSound. Sure, you won't hear instant changes but if it takes less than a second to hear the results of tweaking, it might still be fun.

Archived