IGNORED

Self Isolation Piano Recordings

pcock

6 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

nice, i hope you'll manage to make music teaching and playing your full-time job. life's too short not to make your passion your job. 

btw care to share personal compositions or jams if you have some? i know i'm the only one interested but i'm just curious to hear your personal stuff, if you care enough. you could post them under a different name if you don't want your real name attached to them. 

I actually dont compose for piano atall man. The mere concept in the face of the giants of composition of whom it takes me months to even learn a single piece by is offputting and frankly i dont think i have the skill to add anything to the reptoire that already exists. i prefer finding the most interesting and lesser known pieces that i can play with conviction and learning them. Im trying to learn jazz improv but its literally like learning a new instrument because i can sight read fluently. completely different way of operating your brain. appreciate your interest though.

some cheesy belters in there, this is a demo for my first wedding im playing whenever weddings are allowed to continue

Poulenc - Melancholie
Burton Lane - On A Clear Day
Debussy Arabesque 1
Over The rainbow
Love Letters
George Shearing - Wendy
Chopin - Nocturne No.9 in B Major
Debussy - Reverie
Ludovico Einaudi - Le Onde

my english isn't good enough for me to convey correctly what i have in mind but i'll try anyway:

one has to step away from the shadow of giants in order to shine. what i mean is, yeah what's the point in trying to add anything to what's already been said when you're competing with the likes of, say bartok or ravel. i'm not saying one should be arrogant or ignorant enough to presume their creation stands a chance next to the great masters. but music can be clumsy yet remain interesting. plus the more you practice the better you get at it (if you learn from your errors and fix them one by one). everyone has a bag of tricks, you just have to select, combine and find solutions to get from one place to the next. dude, composition is easy, don't be a fucking baby (just kidding obviously)

anyway that's just me talking out of my ass, you're probably pragmatic and don't give a rat's ass about making tunes on the piano. then use what you're about to learn with jazz improv and create on the spot. 

nice demo btw, good job. brides are gonna love it 

324c18aa334f1772606586663421b9e2.png

• 6 months later...

Some fantastic impressionism from Godowsky

Also, I want to start making videos where i play with the camera above my head, directly onto my hands, then add in the score above it aswell, can anyone recommend some software as close to free as possible that i can do this with ? all the free ones ive downloaded are either unusably bad for syncing audio to millisecond accuracy, or they add big watermarks all over the video.

• Like 1

Yeah, I made a conscious decision to stop pirating everything to do with music a few years back, after absolutely tanning soulseek and vst cracks for most of my life.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:38 PM, pcock said:

Some fantastic impressionism from Godowsky

Also, I want to start making videos where i play with the camera above my head, directly onto my hands, then add in the score above it aswell, can anyone recommend some software as close to free as possible that i can do this with ? all the free ones ive downloaded are either unusably bad for syncing audio to millisecond accuracy, or they add big watermarks all over the video.

I really like the way you play this piece. It sounds like you've played this one often, you put really interesting and subtle expression into everything. Very difficult to do with such a bland instrument as the piano

On 1/20/2021 at 7:49 PM, dingformung said:

I really like the way you play this piece. It sounds like you've played this one often, you put really interesting and subtle expression into everything. Very difficult to do with such a bland instrument as the piano

Well, im happy you enjoyed it, but i would strongly contest the idea that the piano is bland. With the right hands behind it many would say its the most dense, polyphonically capable instrument in existence, able to replicate a full small orchestra, as demonstrated by this solo transcription of Debussy's Prelude a L'apres-midi d'un faun by Vyachslev Gryzanov. The fact that a single note has only one point of impact is mitigated massively by the fact that you have control of up to 10-15 of them similtaneously.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 7:38 PM, brian trageskin said:

ok. dunno then - not that i knew about something anyway haha 

how's learning improv going btw? 

Hah. Poorly. Im still warming up with my circle of 5ths, 3 note voicing etc but im more focussed on my masters exam now. Ive booked it for July 2022 to apply a bit of pressure to my practice.

10 minutes ago, pcock said:

Well, im happy you enjoyed it, but i would strongly contest the idea that the piano is bland. With the right hands behind it many would say its the most dense, polyphonically capable instrument in existence, able to replicate a full small orchestra, as demonstrated by this solo transcription of Debussy's Prelude a L'apres-midi d'un faun by Vyachslev Gryzanov. The fact that a single note has only one point of impact is mitigated massively by the fact that you have control of up to 10-15 of them similtaneously.

I love the piece you just posted.

What I mean by "bland" is that it allows for very limited timbral variation. You can add expression by:

1) changing tempo

2) changing velocity

3) playing notes slightly delayed to each other in a chord

4) using the pedals

The sound itself is extremely clean and samey. Doesn't mean a well-played piano doesn't sound amazing. Boundaries can actually be a good thing for being creative.

Do you ever prepare your piano?

1 hour ago, pcock said:

Hah. Poorly. Im still warming up with my circle of 5ths, 3 note voicing etc but im more focussed on my masters exam now. Ive booked it for July 2022 to apply a bit of pressure to my practice.

nice

@dingformung timbre variation is overrated anyway. nobody complains about that apart from geeky sound designers hehe 

like, i don't give 2 fucks there isn't much timbre variation in these for example

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

nice

@dingformung timbre variation is overrated anyway. nobody complains about that apart from geeky sound designers hehe 

like, i don't give 2 fucks there isn't much timbre variation in these for example

Boulez sonatas? A man of bold taste indeed. 

Samuel Andreyenev is new to me too, which is always appreciated.

Edited by pcock

Laying down some takes of ideas for my masters recital. Been meditating alot recently and its absolutely crazy how much its helping my ability to perform single take recordings while maintaining the musicality that i brim with while practicing with no pressure. I think with another full year of concerted effort I might actually be able to segragate and control the intrusive thoughts that invade the flow of the music as pressure is applied. Still a couple of bum notes in there, but il get there.