IGNORED

Marvel Movies [formerly MCU]

Rubin Farr

did you actually watch iron man 3?

if anything, since 9/11, hollywood has completely avoided making arabs villains in action films.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hollywood has been hating on arabs with reedik stereotypes for as long as there's been an hollywood. Initially it was a reflection of the society from which it was spawned, which generally took a dim view of being enlightened about the others, foreigners and minorities. You'd think that they would have gotten it out of their system by now

did you actually watch iron man 3?

if anything, since 9/11, hollywood has completely avoided making arabs villains in action films.

un, hello did you watch Iron Man 1?

iron-man-civilians_zps9f453259.jpg

Tony_captured_zps3e25363b.png

yes, I know he was in Afghanistan, and I am familiar with the different ethnic groups in the Middle East, but to Americans post 9/11 if you've seen one Al-Qaeda, you've seen them all.

and look at the TV footage of Mandarin in Iron Man 3, it looks vaguely Middle Eastern, and they gave Mandarin a very Muslim-looking beard (the persona not the weak ass actor he turned out to be)

Edited by Rubin Farr

right, the point being, they were playing on the unfounded fears of americans that a terror cell would exist lead by a bin laden like figure. there's a big difference between the irony of that version of the mandarin and some arab supervillain played straight.

and fine, iron man 1 had some terrorists in it, but that's a major exception. i'm not demanding that arabs be portrayed as villains, btw, i'm just making an observation about a trend that's been prevalent in hollywood since 9/11, specifically in the action film genre (i know there are plenty of thrillers about terrorists).

Edited by zaphod

that's cool Zaph, my point was basically they went out of the way not to make Mandarin the generic Asian/Chinese stereotype he was in the comics, but into the new generic Arab/Al-Qaeda villains that have taken their place. Yeah U don't upset Asian moviegoers, or the Chinese.

It would be funny if Mandarin had been made North Korean for the flick.

Edited by Rubin Farr

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel producing 4 new shows for Netflix no one will watch:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/07/daredevil-luke-cage-iron-fist-jessica-jones-tv-series-coming-to-netflix-leading-into-the-defenders-miniseries

If you thought Shield was bad you ain't seen nothing yet!

and really, splitting up Luke Cage and Iron Fist? *fart noise*

As long as there's no joss whedon there has to be an improvement. And netflix would perhaps be able to provide a little more of an edge content wise perhaps maybe. Still though, daredevil is fucking lame.

Saturation.

I guess Marvel figure that if the comicbook bubble is going to burst then they might as well milk every single franchise and every single fan as hard as they can. Meh.

Whatever. I won't watch a periphery show like I haven't watched any Agents of Shield.

Incidentally, saw Thor2 last week. Not great. More fun than I expected but the leaps in coincidence were maddening. Loki's twists have lost their spark. I don't care about Portman. Dennings was incessantly sarky, unbelievable.

And you just know that Captain America 2 won't be that good.

Ant-Man (and maybe Guardians) is our only hope for the next couple of years.

I wonder whether the time-travelling X-Men movie will try to clearly define itself in an alternate universe to Avengers, at least opening up the possiblity for an even bigger combo-movie. There's no connection between the X-Men and Marvel films as yet and there really can't be unless they end up undoing everything from every X-Men movie.

But it wouldn't surprise me if, by the end of X-Men (this one or another that may come before Avengers 3), Wolverine will be able to jump into an alternate timeline and join up with the Avengers. The only way to go after a universal threat is an all-alternative-universe threat, right?*

X-Men is owned by Fox at the moment, but I'm sure they'll be able to hammer out a fight-scene with Wolverine for Avengers 3 or whatever. Same deal with Sony and Spiderman. The Amazing Spiderman was always jumping around timelines, making teams with Captain America, X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

* In fact, spoilers,

but the villain in Thor2, although a bit boring and underdeveloped had by far the most dangerous threat from any Marvel villain so far. Loki wanted earth in the Avengers. The Iron-Man villains ain't been shit. Red Skull didn't know what power he was chasing. Thanos, a universal threat, is still only in the background at the moment, at least until Guardians. But Thor2 had the first universe-ending shit.

It'll almost certainly be a terrible mess. Shit, maybe they'll make Avengers 3 in two parts like Harry Potter and Twilight. Calling it. If Avengers 2 struggles to get the same box-office as, or only just emulates, Avengers 1 they're going to mash all franchises together to win it all back with 3.

/nerd

Edited by Gary C

• 1 month later...

Rudd's casting is definitely hopeful.

I think Wright is capable of making a fun superhero movie of real quality. I still really like Scott Pilgrim and I have a feeling it'll slow-burn as a modern classic. So with a bigger franchise, and one that brings in more consistent audiences through the Marvel-link, I think this could be the most well received film of his career.

Also, Joe Cornish is involved in writing. And I wish nothing but the best for Adam & Joe.

There was very briefly an FX sizzle, directed by Wright and intended only for the Marvel Executives as a show of intent, on YouTube.

It wasn't quite 60s 'pow' but it was really good with Ant-Man attacking two guards in a hallway by jumping in and out of size whilst running. So he'd run under the door. Grow big and startle the guards. Run and shrink quickly to avoid bullets. Then as he connected with a punch, he'd shrink and run up the guards arm. Grow again and take him down.

It was a stunning 20-second scene. The shrinking effects were just the right level of dizzying.

Actually, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpa4NLM1YMM‎

Or at least a bit of it.

Edited by Gary C

• 4 weeks later...

Michael Douglas confirmed as the old Hank Pym in Ant-Man

also Johnny Depp in talks to play Dr Strange

Johnny Depp as Dr. Strange... for some reason I always saw Robert Downey Jr as Dr. Strange... obviously he can't now...

• 4 weeks later...

So I guess my theory of Agent Coulson being The Vision is moot. Glad I stopped watching Shield then, it's awful.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paul-bettany-to-play-the-vision-in-marvels-avengers-age-of-ultron-1201090635/

Edited by Rubin Farr

Shield is fucking horrendous, it's almost as if TV networks won't allow a show outside of their most bankable template cookie cutter shows like CSI or Law and Order. I guess i've been off network TV so long I had no idea it would just be a bunch of good-looking nobodies doing forensic investigations of regular old joes who have some kind of tie to some unimportant aspect to the marvel universe. Its just a really bland show that could have been cool if they took it outside the box a little bit.

Really looking forward to Thor 2, I loved the first. My favourite pre Avengers movie easily. It has a good chance of being utter shit though.

Fuck off Thor was the best pre Avengers film

Not Iron Man? Really? I thought the pre-Disney Pre-Avengers film was best...

• 2 weeks later...

Hate hate hate trailers for trailers. what the fuck is the point in watching that?? Just wait 24 hours and watch the proper thing! or hell even wait until the movie is out and watch the whole thing with fresh eyes. They show half the footage in trailers these days anyway.

[/rant]

Edited by blackdust