IGNORED

Wanted: Used Roland SH-01A

cboyardeat

The last B-Stock SH-01A has just been sold on thomann before I had a chance to nab it. Am on apprentice wage atm so it would be cool if someone is willing to sell me a used one for a decent price. Around 250-260 would be wicked

Is this going to be your first hardware synth ?

Thoman has a new for only 30 euro more but i guess u knew that already.

I feel like 400 is alot for what that synth has to offer?
Why not go for the behringer version which is alot cheaper.

10 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

I have the behringer one but I do see the appeal of an SH-01A. Polyphony is pretty cool to have.. even though Behringer did a great job with it IMO

19 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

Not really my first but I'd say my first 'proper' one as it were. I have 3 of the volcas and a behringer td3. Maybe I will end up going for the behringer, but the fact you cant chain patterns really turns me off of the idea.

1 hour ago, cboyardeat said:

yea all the listings are really dear. a lot of them in different countries so id spend loads in postage

Yeah unfortunately this is a authentic reissue of an iconic synth so the used prices are what they are, doubt you will get a better deal from anywhere else, unless some fool is just selling theirs without checking prices first. ?

1 minute ago, thawkins said:

Yeah unfortunately this is a authentic reissue of an iconic synth so the used prices are what they are, doubt you will get a better deal from anywhere else, unless some fool is just selling theirs without checking prices first. ?

Fair enough. I'll probably just have to go for the ms-1 then.

You could check out other synths around that price range. I feel like a mono synth in that set up gets boring quite fast.

I find it really strange how we are all chasing a high of synths from 30 years ago. How come those synths still reign supreme ?

How are we not able to make synths sound like those synths at an affordable price range.

I feel like they should stop marketing stuff as clones and it would get appreciated much better.

Edited by Wunderbar

Just now, Wunderbar said:

You could check out other synths around that price range. I feel like a mono synth in that set up gets boring quite fast.

I find it really strange how we are all chasing a high of synths from 30 years ago. How come those synths still reign supreme ?

How are we not able to make synths sound like those synths at an affordable price range.

I mean.. we kinda do don't we? the DIY scene is there and Behringer as well as other companies are copying old designs at much cheaper prices than 2nd hand 80s synths. Why they reign supreme is another thing entirely, maybe because they're implanted in our raver hivemind..:happy:

12 minutes ago, chronical said:

I mean.. we kinda do don't we? the DIY scene is there and Behringer as well as other companies are copying old designs at much cheaper prices than 2nd hand 80s synths. Why they reign supreme is another thing entirely, maybe because they're implanted in our raver hivemind..:happy:

I mean i have bad ears but even i can tell they dont sound 1/1 or maybe im just biased who knows. I also feel like alot of people trying to follow that analog sound of those old synths have never really touched those synths irl, so how are u supposed to know what that  even really sounds like? I doubt youtube videos do  that stuff justice.I  also feel like this whole audio industry banks on giving people the idea that their music never sounds real unless they buy ... product. Just like the beauty industry u are never prtty unless u buy this shit cream. I also feel  like naming  stuff  after  old stuff puts us in a bubble. Like here is a 101 you know what to do with it.

Sometimes i feel like im saying stuff to say stuff. I never really make sense.

Maybe all i had to say was just buy stuff u like the sound of and not because u think ur going to get a real 101, or is that to pessimistic?

Edited by Wunderbar

2 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

I mean i have bad ears but even i can tell they dont sound 1/1 or maybe im just biased who knows. I also feel like alot of people trying to follow that analog sound of those old synths have never really touched those synths irl, so how are u supposed to know what that  even really sounds like? I doubt youtube videos do  that stuff justice.I  also feel like this whole audio industry banks on giving people the idea that their music never sounds real unless they buy ... product. Just like the beauty industry u are never prtty unless u buy this shit cream. I also feel  like naming  stuff  after  old stuff puts us in a bubble. Like here is a 101 you know what to do with it.

Sometimes i feel like im saying stuff to say stuff. I never really make sense.

Maybe all i had to say was just buy stuff u like the sound of and not because u think ur going to get a real 101, or is that to pessimistic?

I still get confused when people have to have that OG sound. It's about having fun isn't it? Like I'd love to have a RE-303 but at the same time I don't have the money for it, especially not at the moment. So I can either convince myself I need a RE unit.. or have fun adjusting my behringer 303's VCF, playing with the sequencer, making wholesome acid arrangements.. and at that point I'd wager I'm having more fun than a lot of people chasing the original hardware

1 hour ago, chronical said:

I still get confused when people have to have that OG sound. It's about having fun isn't it? Like I'd love to have a RE-303 but at the same time I don't have the money for it, especially not at the moment. So I can either convince myself I need a RE unit.. or have fun adjusting my behringer 303's VCF, playing with the sequencer, making wholesome acid arrangements.. and at that point I'd wager I'm having more fun than a lot of people chasing the original hardware

I agree. I bloody love my TD3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 9:49 AM, chronical said:

When people say the want "analogue sound", what they mean most of the time is that they want pitch modulation or a tape delay and reverb on their monosynth. On topic, the SH01a offers polyphony and a better (?) sequencer than the MS-1, but for the price, the MS-1 is hard to beat. 

• 1 month later...

I have had a lot of synths come and go over the last few years. To buy new stuff, old stuff always has to go first. Regarding Roland boutiques I can only compare to what I have heard and spent time with but I used to own the Jupiter 8 and TB-03 Roland boutique devices. I sold both pretty quickly. The sound just does not compare in terms of quality to the cheap Behringer gear. I might pick up an SH-01 clone at some point. The Roland will not figure in my choice. It will be the Behringer or I may sell some eurorack pieces and get an Intellijel Atlantis.