IGNORED

Terry Hall RIP (Specials, Fun Boy Three)

zazen

oh no ? he was The Specials to me. which is probably unfair cos there were so many members of the band who made it work. is it too obvious to post Ghost Town? idc, as popular as that song is, it's their iconic and defining one

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

Shit dude. I had no idea that he was kidnapped and sexually abused when he was 12. Poor guy ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64029430

Abducted aged 12

The musician was born in 1959 and raised in Coventry, where most of his family worked in the city's then-booming car industry.

But his life took a dark turn when, at the age of 12, he was kidnapped by a teacher.

"I was abducted, taken to France and sexually abused for four days," he told The Spectator in 2019. "And then punched in the face and left on the roadside."

Hall said the incident left him with life-long depression and caused him to drop out of education at the age of 14, after becoming addicted to the Valium he had been prescribed.

"I didn't go to school, I didn't do anything. I just sat on my bed rocking for eight months."

Music was some form of solace…

Ghost Town is one of those tracks that have always been floating around me since a kid, so much so, sometimes these records just seem 'part of the furniture'. They kind of fade into the background, just the everyday fuzz of everyday life. They don't really have the impact that perhaps they should do. And I never really listened to it as correctly as I should have. Then a few (probably 10!) years ago I was probably a bit stoned, probably mostly drunk, but buzzing and on a certain wavelength and this record came on and turned it up loud and I listened for the first time. It blew me away. There's a few records like that. This is one of the best.

RIP