IGNORED

Favorite Songs Featuring Roland TR-808

decibal cooper

It's hard to say when there are styles of music built around these sounds. Great songs so far, though, y'all

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

Mr. Mixx from 2 Live Crew talks about his use of the 808 on this song:

What did you do differently with the 808 this time?

Of all of the records at the time, there weren’t many that had the bass sustained throughout the record. In Run-D.M.C.’s “My Adidas,” you would hear 808, but the Linn drum or DMX was the dominant part of the record. There is a knob on the 808 that allows the kick to be a tight kick, or sustained, all the way up where it would ring. To the average person, it would sound like it was over-modulating, like it would be too much. So people wouldn’t do that. But I did do that, with those records.

As we got down there with these other engineers, they were doing some stuff with some different apps, that made it to where it didn’t ask where it was coming out of a machine. I knew it was going to work when I heard certain records on Ghetto Style’s system – and the one that took the cake, which was basically how “Ghetto Bass” came along, was Run–D.M.C.’s “Together Forever”. Rick Rubin had touched on it but, for him, that was another machine to do some shit with. He wasn’t fucking with it like that.