IGNORED

What’s the next best thing to a Technics 1210 MK2?

o00o

numark tt200 or numark ttx. both are discontinued but you can probably find one used. i've had mine since they were new. they were made after the technics patent expired so they use crystal sync and the platters are fucking stout and solid. never had any issues w/mine. 

the basics of the ttx and tt200 are the same.. the ttx has extra features like line level out, digital out, and some funky business for pitching in various ways.. 

when i bought mine there was a guy there who had TECHNICS in block letters tattood on his forearm. he said the numark rep came in and brought them one and said "do everything you can to try and break it. i'll see you in a month". he said they would lean on them w/full body weight and do everything that would come up in normal use situations plus actively tried to break the platters etc.. but they couldn't do it.. and i know that's an awful lot of sales hyperbole but my experience has been similar. they are heavy turntables with really good electronics/motors etc. 

if you just need a turntable for listening to records and not 2 decks + mixer for mixing etc.. then you have more options.. there's good low cost turntables around of all kinds that are good for listening but would be less useful if you want to mix/beat match etc.. 

anyway.. i've had my numarks for 20 years

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

I have a personal preference for SL-1200MK5s and others without the pitch slider zero position click/notch, but I think most modern direct-drive turntables with heavy and stable enough platter, and decent torque, 2.0 kg x cm or above; tonearm shape is relevant if you're scratching, straight is usually better for it. They're tools, and Technics are the default staple; when I was young and didn't have the money I got cheaper Reloop ones before MK5s, and the later migration to Technics was a huge thing for me, I wouldn't change back to anything else, ever.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I found a pretty cheap 1210 which works but has a constant „humming“ I wonder if this is hard to fix. Probably not 

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2024 at 1:13 PM, o00o said:

I found a pretty cheap 1210 which works but has a constant „humming“ I wonder if this is hard to fix. Probably not 

is it 60hz hum?  or 50hz if you're not in america.  if so that's a ground hum. sounds like the little grounding wire isn't connected. if that's not it it could be an issue in a few places. tone arm, stylus etc.