IGNORED

Concerts Recently Attended

exitonly

I looked for a thread like this but couldn't find one.  I went to see Alessandro Cortini play at "The Old Church" in Portland which is literally an old church. It was amazing. There were probably ~200 people there in a super intimate venue with a pretty solid light show. Having watched a lot of PDX people do "live analog electronics" kinds of sets around town, the difference in seeing someone who has clearly mastered it is pretty profound. 

At one point (whether intentional or not I don't know) he quickly switched to this very fast looping sine-like arpeggio that sounded so annoying I thought there was no way he was going to transition out of it. But instead he ended up warbling the pitch to get an almost chorus effect, did what sounded like clock divided the sequence into other voices that provided counterpoint and then drenched the entire thing in reverb/delay (on top of the reverberant accoustics of the church itself) until it just became this massive wall of sound. After some period of time the whole thing decayed back to this arpeggio again except by that time he had some how transformed the sound so that it was almost like a tuned drum. It felt like a magic trick. 

Meanwhile there was this light show that had been entirely built around this massive organ behind him so that for parts of the show it was bound to the organ pipes but then would grow and cover a large part of the back of the church. During one of these segments a police car or fire truck was for some reason moving really slowly outside and the lights were lighting up all the windows and it took me a while to realize it wasnt part of the show.

In the end I think pretty much everyone in that room was stunned by the whole thing. I've seen a lot of shows in my time but that was near the top. Also being 45 minutes long (there was an opener [Patricia Wolf, also good] so the whole thing was roughly 2 hours), it was pretty much the perfect length. It felt like a whole piece and definitely left me wanting more but also glad I didnt have to experience that lingering desire for a show to be over that I've gone through in many concerts that I otherwise enjoyed.

IMG_7919.jpeg

Edited by exitonly
added photo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, exitonly said:

i saw that thread but it seemed geared towards a long list of shows vs more detail on a specific recent show

Agreed.

Would you be ok with this being moved to "Music Discussion" as the Live Dates & Tours" subforum is a bit dead?

Done and done!

Also, I haven't been to a concert in 6 years, hahaha! The last concert I attended was Thundercat. It was good. 30 seconds of something you recognise and then him freestyling for 10 minutes straight.

• Like 1

Yo La Tengo at Content in Liverpool about a month ago.

They did two hour-long sets and about 3 more tracks in the encore. 

The last time I saw them was 32 years ago.

Excellent gig. First half was slightly better than the second. Bought Electropura on vinyl afterwards for £30. Score.

I saw Gidge in Camden on Saturday night and it was immensely disappointing. I should have known their music wouldn't translate to a live experience, there was basically nothing done to make it live appropriate and was basically akin to having a selection of tracks played from windows media player. For something like that you at least want a visual component to lock into. I would have rather just listened to it loud on a home sound system rather than have to listen to their stuff over the chatter of the audience.

3/10. Never again.

4 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

Yo La Tengo at Content in Liverpool about a month ago.

They did two hour-long sets and about 3 more tracks in the encore. 

The last time I saw them was 32 years ago.

Excellent gig. First half was slightly better than the second. Bought Electropura on vinyl afterwards for £30. Score.

I last saw Yo La Tengo this past August. It was a double header with Built to Spill, who played There's Nothing Wrong With Love in its entirety complete with a chello player. Fantastic show. I've seen Yo La Tengo 4 times so far, the earliest had to be around 2003.  Also,  they happened to be at a Todd Barry standup gig one time (i think they're friends).

Cornelius at Barbican, so tight and great visuals. 

Seefeel set where they played all their classics. 

Mortiz von Oswald performing Silencio. 

Last two both in Bristol. 

Edited by subsub