IGNORED

Happy Cycling

Guest feargus

Guest feargus

Have they ever surpassed Happy Cycling as a track that combines sheer simplicity with such a range of amazon emotion and menace when the track chages? Discuss

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
Have they ever surpassed Happy Cycling as a track that combines sheer simplicity with such a range of amazon emotion and menace when the track chages? Discuss

well i don't detect menace from this track, but i feel that, if you are referencing the first 3/4 build with the scary googling in the back and the bell-like tone, there is certainly a cold slate-like psychedelic clarity there. depending on your experience, this may feeling can be new and frightening, a stranger. but, and along with the tone which i believe is an alarm to be alert to this state of immediacy, this space is to be explored. it is a rare glimpse into the true functions of nature, which are alien and overwhelming.

during the last movement we are delivered to an understanding, perhaps the knowledge that there is no knowledge for us, and the anxiety of observation ends. this relief might be likened to a free descent down a hill on a bicycle after 5.5 minutes of tenuous struggle upwards. this release combines us once again with the world, which we have repulsed with our objectivity and disassociation. however, we can't help taking something home from the experience, and we are never the same again.

strange-car-accident-242x200.jpg

anyone else notice that there is vocal sample that is triggered at the same time the seagull sample plays? you can barely hear it. only the high frequencies are present. sounds like a black guy but i can't tell what he's saying.

it's definately there, though. everytime the seagull sample plays, this other sample plays "beneath" it.

Guest BunnyRabbit
anyone else notice that there is vocal sample that is triggered at the same time the seagull sample plays? you can barely hear it. only the high frequencies are present. sounds like a black guy but i can't tell what he's saying.

it's definately there, though. everytime the seagull sample plays, this other sample plays "beneath" it.

Yeah, I hear that one. It's pretty obvious. Sounds like some reggae thing. Jamaican anyway.

Not my all time favourite, Happy Cycling, so I'm not going to spend time bigging it up but I do find the acapella of Dub Be good To Me fits well over the last quarter.

What's interersting is that the original Happy Cycling on OT is nothing like the final product... So either the name has sigifigance to BoC to reuse it for a different track or that track really did some evolution between the time it was made and commercially released.

That last part of Happy Cycling is one of my favourite BoC melodies - I wish there was a whole song that used that melody.

Guest Captain Cooper
What's interersting is that the original Happy Cycling on OT is nothing like the final product... So either the name has sigifigance to BoC to reuse it for a different track or that track really did some evolution between the time it was made and commercially released

Yeah I've wondered that myself. Some of the drums are similar... the heavy-sounding snares that sound like they have a lot of swing on them. But they're still not too similar. :confused:

Hi Scores is another one

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
What's interersting is that the original Happy Cycling on OT is nothing like the final product... So either the name has sigifigance to BoC to reuse it for a different track or that track really did some evolution between the time it was made and commercially released.

That last part of Happy Cycling is one of my favourite BoC melodies - I wish there was a whole song that used that melody.

their phrasings have always been spectacular/funny/trippy. their music finally got to the point where it equalled or surpassed their titles. most of old tunes stinks. it's kind of amazing. headphase is the finest album.

the synth tone for the spiraling final synth melody is gnarlier and more gorgeous in the atp set. it sounds more like ruined tape echo, more like an old pbs ID. the peel version is pingier and softer. i like the very end of the atp version of cycling where one of the sandisons go bu-bong on the keys at the very end, like, "ta-da!! i'm glad that's over"

this is fucking marvellous by the way. the best peice of electronic music ever just got better.

what a damn fine event to start the weekend with.

Shit, I keep trying to get this, every time it pops up on twoism I'm always a moment too late and the link has expired. This time I can't get it cuz I can't access the website ivo's using from here in Shanghai. Any friendly stranger willing to help me out?

this is a really fantastic version of an already fantastic song.

it always reminds me of the scarborough area of england. specifically the seaside towns like whitby.

i don't know if we can pm files but i can give it to you lumpenprol if you know of somewhere i can upload it to.

this is a really fantastic version of an already fantastic song.

it always reminds me of the scarborough area of england. specifically the seaside towns like whitby.

i don't know if we can pm files but i can give it to you lumpenprol if you know of somewhere i can upload it to.

Try pm-ing it, if that doesn't work, and you're willing to go the extra mile, try rapidshare or megaupload. You'd have my eternal gratitude, or at least finite and conditional gratitude.

yes cheers very much ivo this is great.

Any idea why this version was omitted from the Peel Sessions EP. Seems a strange thing to do. Was it samle clearance, or did they prefer the original version and wanted that version to be the more easily available>?

yes cheers very much ivo this is great.

Any idea why this version was omitted from the Peel Sessions EP. Seems a strange thing to do. Was it samle clearance, or did they prefer the original version and wanted that version to be the more easily available>?

prolly the same reason as why xyz was omitted

Ivo, do you have the whole session recorded?

I'm the one who originally posted that version. I recorded it off the radio on the night it was broadcast. I didn't record the rest because I wasn't really a BoC fan at the time, in fact it was that track that got me into them. Actually I did record XYZ but taped over it because I didn't like it!

I think I've seen recordings of the whole radio broadcast floating around on Soulseek.

I'm the one who originally posted that version. I recorded it off the radio on the night it was broadcast. I didn't record the rest because I wasn't really a BoC fan at the time, in fact it was that track that got me into them. Actually I did record XYZ but taped over it because I didn't like it!

I think I've seen recordings of the whole radio broadcast floating around on Soulseek.

Is this the complete recording you have? Do you have any of the chat immediately before or after Happy Cycling?

Is this the complete recording you have? Do you have any of the chat immediately before or after Happy Cycling?

No, that's the lot. I was just recording random tracks to play in the car and that happened to be one of them. There is an MP3 of XYZ with a brief interview available on Soulseek (length 9:38) and I'm pretty sure that's the whole Peel interview.

Archived