IGNORED

Does this suck?

Guest The Bro

I'm wondering if this sucks. First track I've sort of been happy with on my new pc. I may add more layers. Was thinking about an oldskool cybotron electric guitar solo towards the end. Anyways let us know what you think folks ... be as frank as you can.

The Bro - They're coming for you

Guest the man

This track sounds similar to cosmic cars. I don't know about that flanger effect of that drum kick... I doesn't sound good at all. The kick (w/t reverb) seems a bit too high in the mix. THe bass sound after the 130 mark seems to be a bit too low in the mix...yea, there are some mixing issues you should sort out...I really like what happens after the 3 min mark...expand on that part and maybe cut out some of the intro stuff (like that vocal sample). decent track

not really. like the detuned pads and the energy but it needs a lot of work to make it a real good track. like the synth that enters at about 3:00 too.

this is very special, don't stop it Promo. I was a bit unsure in the beginning because the vox is a bit weak, but everything else is an interesting mix of freestyle, funk and a lot electronic influences. i remember some other track of you was quite in the same mood, and i like them both. unpopular, but interesting. adding of layers (or exchanging) may be needed somewhere in the first seconds, as those were the moments where i didnt thought i will feel the track. If the vox contains the "main theme" i would like to hear it in a plain version on some of the stronger synths for a few seconds too.

great flow, and well done too.

I pretty much think it's all alright apart from lose the reverb on the kick. Apparently, you never put reverb on your kick drum (according to a sound engineer friend of mine), I'm not strictly sure that's true, but I think it would benefit this track. Make the beat a bit punchier. The rest of it's all really cool though mate. Quality Egyptian Lover style electro. Nice.

hi, made some notes while listening:

00:14 eighties voice synth is good

00:46 enjoying the HAL sample, but maybe synths should fade a little bit to make it clearer?

01:23 dont like that bass much that comes in here

01:40 bass sounds a bit better now

02:46 like the way the rapid cowbell thing is modulating up and down

03:00 this bit is good!

03:26 interesting transition, but not sure about the key change

so you finally got a new setup? cool.

Quite enjoyed the track, it had some good bits, but it was very 'freestyle', without much structure. It sounds like you are trying out lots of ideas and techniques, and enjoying yourself in the process (Exactly the sort of track its fun to make when you have new kit to play with). The tracks of yours that i have listened to before have been very musical, but this one seems more repetitive with more emphasis on the moods and effects. I really enjoyed the 2001 sample, but maybe it could be higher in the mix (or everything else lower). I didn't like the bass that comes in at 01:23 much, it sounded too low and raspy. But by 01:40 it was altered a bit and sounded better.

Overall i think this is OK, and its taking your sound in an interesting new direction. Its a bit 'dark techno'-y, so not really the sort of thing I'm into. I think the end could be beefed up a bit, so maybe that guitar solo you mention should be added.

I also just listened to "Justin Time" from your myspace and it struck me as being loads better, and I think thats because it has more going on musically. (Or seems to, to my ears)

I pretty much think it's all alright apart from lose the reverb on the kick. Apparently, you never put reverb on your kick drum (according to a sound engineer friend of mine), I'm not strictly sure that's true, but I think it would benefit this track.

sound engineer friend of mine says the same. and honestly it's quite a hazardous adventure to put reverb on bass frequencies in general imo. i'm sure it can work but you have to be very careful if you don't want it to ruin the tack. i'm sure some pretty good experimental stuff can come out of it but it needs to be something to focus on, if not it just sounds like an error. dunno if i'm clear.

I pretty much think it's all alright apart from lose the reverb on the kick. Apparently, you never put reverb on your kick drum (according to a sound engineer friend of mine), I'm not strictly sure that's true, but I think it would benefit this track.

sound engineer friend of mine says the same. and honestly it's quite a hazardous adventure to put reverb on bass frequencies in general imo. i'm sure it can work but you have to be very careful if you don't want it to ruin the tack. i'm sure some pretty good experimental stuff can come out of it but it needs to be something to focus on, if not it just sounds like an error. dunno if i'm clear.

Obviously squarepusher doesn't know any sound engineers.

EDIT: Anyways, I like this a lot. very cool.

• 1 month later...

Archived