IGNORED

Second Try

tarsier888

here's my second (full) song! i've been practicing since the last one and i think i've improved, it's called "tea for the forest dwellers"

imagine a group of people walking down a trail in the woods at night with torches, carrying bags of tea pots, or trays of cups of tea, and tea bags, etc. on their way to give offerings to appease the forest creatures

also! i did all of it myself, i didn't use a single pre-made loop ^.^

how did i do this time? :fear:

http://media.putfile.com/Tea-for-the-Forest-Dwellers

you know about the expert knob twiddlers latest creations room right?

if you don't, I'll tell you about it, you make topics with your music in them and promote them there....

I will listen to your track, don't worry, but I thought you should know before it gets moved by some mod with a happy trigger finger.....

And if you already knew and put your track here because you have worked with Alias or are his brother and are semi-famous or something, for shame, don't go polluting my precious bodily fluids with your communist ideals, flouridate someone elses water supply you pinko!

Guest Thisket

OK... it had some neat textures and all. Kind've nice.

You can't go by just counting "tries". If you want to make music, you just have to make it. Don't put so much emphasis on it. Spend time pressing keys and things.

What are you using to make tunes? All your beat sounds out of time, and there's really no excuse for that if you're using FLoops, Ableton, Renoise or anything with a step sequencer or drum map type thing. Sounds like you played the kick drum in to something live by pressing a button on a keyboard and haven't got it quantized. If you're using fucking Cubase or bastard Logik (I'll get slagged off for this probably), just stop it will ya? They're stupidly crap IMO and definitely not the place to start. So anyway, I think you need to really practice - don't even try to make a track yet. You need to work out how to program beats properly and get them all in time, like 4/4 time to start and get all them kicks bang on. Just fuck about making beats for two weeks or something. Then do the same with some synth lines and that until you know the program you're using fairly well. Then maybe think about trying to lay down a basic tune.

Also, investigate FL Studio, Ableton Live and maybe Renoise for some (possibly) better ways to make music. I think you'd do better with these programs than whatever you're using now.

OR reason, but ableton and cubase don't seem to be my kind of thing

Now I understand...Garageband eh?......Yeah, stop using that ASAP and whatever you do - DON'T GET LOGIK. Ableton's really good honest, and Reason's also very very good. Especially for starting out with (and that's not detracting from either program in any way - Vibert uses Reason). Logik will bend your head round a corner and be far too complicated. This is a program that is designed to handle like, film scores and orchestral compositions and stuff. Not that you can't use it to make electronic music or anything else, but it's just way too vast IMO. Needlessly complex.

Seriously check out Ableton - I'm just starting to get into it, and it's really easy and fun, but powerful too. Very powerful in fact. That or Reason mate.

allright, my best bet is probably reason.. becuase i have the demo for ableton and it just.. doesn't work for me. i watched the preview tutorial video for reason and it looks like it would be pretty good

but.. i watched a bunch of vids for logic, it really didn't look that complicated.. it has a lot of the same kind of design as garage band, what did you mean by complicated?

Reminded me of Tubular Bells or something. Wasn't really feeling the vibe of this. Not bad I guess but not totally my bag. I agree with the beats sounding out of sync but wasn't too bothered by them. Personally I found the beats a bit dull and uninspired. Okay effort for your second track posted ... sorry I don't believe this your second ever track you've done lol. Yeah only feels like its starting to be honest ... needs more. Sounds like the music to some 80s horror movie or something.

Guest AlexPallas

i actually liked the vibe, remided me of some 80s drone with the loose beats in a way. needs alot of work though. don't let people shoot you down if your style isn't electronic music enough, there's plenty of styles within electronic music, you don't have to tied to typical drum and bass or acid house, contrary to popular belief.

well once i get a good program and learn how to do all the IDMy stuff i'll be set. but right now i have to do with a not-so-professional one, everything i make right now with garageband is basically just practice until i get my microkorg working and get the cable to plug it into my macbook, and get either reason or logic

what did you mean by complicated?

Just like, that say, if you want to program a beat in logic, you have to fuck about with a little pencil tool and paint in all the hits and shit and you can easily get them in the wrong place and then it'll sound rubbish. It also takes ages. With Reason, you just program the beat into a Redrum machine in exactly the same way that you would on a TR-606, or any type of Groovebox. Just literally clicking a button on the drum machine to light it up and programming your beat using the lights to tell you when a note is on or off. Really simple and fun! Logic's not fun. It's tedious IMO, lots of going back and forward and fiddling about and then when you've finished programming your beat you realise that one kick drum is in slightly the wrong place and that's the whole thing fucked and you have to go back over all the etc etc etc - you see what I mean It's a right mission! In reason you can also use the Dr Rexx for beats or any of the samplers and get some really professional sounding results in not much time. The Matrix sequencer is really good for getting basic patterns down quickly using the randomize function. Hook that up to a Subtractor with the TB Synth patch, click randomize and there you go - instant acid madness! Can't do that shit in Logic (well, you probably can if you use VSTi plugins and shit, but it'll be much more complicated).

Anyway, steer clear of Logic I'm telling you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived