the emx-1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kor...EMX1?sku=701946

the esx 1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kor...pler?sku=701947

the r mkii

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kor...mkII?sku=702262

or the A mk II

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kor...mkII?sku=702261

what i basicly want is a fun toy to play around with without useing a computer to make music. me and my room mate are planning livingroom music battles and co-operation etc.

anyone here use these? what did you think?

i think either one of these are the way to go. I have an esx1 and i love it but ive played with an emx-1 and it seems slightly more powerful. It has a little bit less drum/sampling features but the synth engine is much more configurable. On the ESX you only have 2 synth instruments you can use at once, on the EMX you have up to 5.

i finally got my power cable for my emx 1 a few days ago and it seems pretty fun, all ive worked out how to do it tap out some beatz and play around with the synths abit

theres loads of buttons though.

i cant seem to get it working through the computer yet, sequencer refuses to recognize that any midi is plugged into the soundcard

Guest 277: 930-933

I've been doubting wether or not to get an electribe for ages.

The esx seems most attractive, but I'm afraid loading samples might be a pain in the ass.

It's main feature for me is the step sequencer, it'd be nice to get an interface like that for relatively little money and just grab a synth and the esx and freak out.

Can it transmit and play a sequence at the same time?

Guest Last post by

FFS get the sampler.

Shitty samplers are cool, fun and (eventually) collectable.

Shitty virtual analogues... um... less so.

Q. what electribe should i get (for about $99)

A. a machindrum at $3000 dollars

what a fuckin pompous twat hole scum fucker of an answer!

oh yeah, like you should totally get a machindrum because they are really amazing and thats what all the pro's use - no pro's use stupid electribes man get with the times cos like if you can afford an electribe you can obvioulsy afford (the vastly over rated) machindrum.

R MKII is a cheap & fun toy in answer to your question

Machindrum is an expensive toy for stoopid cunts who dont know any better

Guest butane bob

I have the ER1 MK1 and it can make some cool sounds if you tinker around with it.

However I tend to find the "best" kick/snare drum setting and don't bother creating any more presets.

Though it's very easy to tweak. Depends what kind of music you want to make with it really.

Guest blicero

while they are fun to play with, the lack of data I/O renders them completely useless to me.

if i can't drag/drop wavs from a computer to the device, i'm not interested. my days of wav editing on a hardware sampler are over.

oh yeah, like you should totally get a machindrum because they are really amazing and thats what all the pro's use - no pro's use stupid electribes man get with the times cos like if you can afford an electribe you can obvioulsy afford (the vastly over rated) machindrum.

you know that you want one

Guest Last post by

$3000 bucks for a VA, ie something that will be obsoleted by a freeware softsynth in 3 years?

Um, how about no?

$3000 bucks for a VA, ie something that will be obsoleted by a freeware softsynth in 3 years?

Um, how about no?

you're missing the point

there's things out that that can do more in software than what the machinedrum can do in hardware

but the machinedrum (as far as i see it) is for those of us who want an immensely flexible hardware drum machine, without having to mess about with a PC or Mac based system.

while they are fun to play with, the lack of data I/O renders them completely useless to me.

if i can't drag/drop wavs from a computer to the device, i'm not interested. my days of wav editing on a hardware sampler are over.

you essentially can drag/drop waves they both take smart media cards. The only manual labor involved is when you assign the samples on the card to the empty slots on the ELectribe. I loaded about 30 drum samples in under 20 minutes earlier today.

the main benefit of the electribe for me is the ribbon controller and 16-step sequencer. Unfortunately you cant send midi CC values with the knobs, if there was a midi interface exactly lik the Electribe (like anothe user mentioned) it would be a fucking god send

Um, how about no?

you're missing the point

there's things out that that can do more in software than what the machinedrum can do in hardware

but the machinedrum (as far as i see it) is for those of us who want an immensely flexible hardware drum machine, without having to mess about with a PC or Mac based system.

the machine drum is nice, i just got one myself and i have to say that its much more powerful than any predesigned drum synth software i have ever used. Short of making your own drum synth engine in maxmsp, reaktor, or PD id say that the Elektron machine drum is the most powerful/flexible drum synthesizer in exsistence hardware or software. An electribe is a lot more fun to use though ;-)

Um, how about no?

you're missing the point

the machine drum is nice, i just got one myself and i have to say that its much more powerful than any predesigned drum synth software i have ever used. Short of making your own drum synth engine in maxmsp, reaktor, or PD id say that the Elektron machine drum is the most powerful/flexible drum synthesizer in exsistence hardware or software. An electribe is a lot more fun to use though ;-)

yeah i got the esx -1

and my room mate got the emx-1, we plan on battleing them against each other and if we dont like the ones we have we are goign to swap them.

on a side note im excited to play around with this hooking it up into my laptop and try out soem live shit with cubase and reaktor and the electribe etc....

what have people been doing for live music? im excited to get some things going for live preformance

Guest blicero
you essentially can drag/drop waves they both take smart media cards. The only manual labor involved is when you assign the samples on the card to the empty slots on the ELectribe. I loaded about 30 drum samples in under 20 minutes earlier today.

the main benefit of the electribe for me is the ribbon controller and 16-step sequencer. Unfortunately you cant send midi CC values with the knobs, if there was a midi interface exactly lik the Electribe (like anothe user mentioned) it would be a fucking god send

20 minutes!!!! am i supposed to be impressed!?! i can drag and drop 300 drum samples into the nn-xt in reason in 3 seconds.

i see what you mean tho. i do have a hardwad sampler that i can transfer wavs to via smartmedia, but i haven't used it in months for that very reason.

ya know, you can get a midi controller with a x/y touch bad and basically do the samething as with an electribe ribbon controller. or you can buy a doepfer ribbon controller.

20 minutes!!!! am i supposed to be impressed!?! i can drag and drop 300 drum samples into the nn-xt in reason in 3 seconds.

i see what you mean tho. i do have a hardwad sampler that i can transfer wavs to via smartmedia, but i haven't used it in months for that very reason.

ya know, you can get a midi controller with a x/y touch bad and basically do the samething as with an electribe ribbon controller. or you can buy a doepfer ribbon controller.

the kaos pads and ribbon controllers that come by themselves are usually not designed for arpegios or drum rolls (like the korg electribe one is). I could probably customize some reaktor patch to interact with and make it do the same thing, but the korg just does it automatically and its very pleasurable/masturbatory to use. For live gigs it worked great, i would trigger mostly sounds off reaktor and just use ther korg as a midi controller step sequencer/roll generator.

I agree that software samplers are much more convenient but compared to other hardware samplers the Electribe is better than alot in that respect.

on a side note im excited to play around with this hooking it up into my laptop and try out soem live shit with cubase and reaktor and the electribe etc....

what have people been doing for live music? im excited to get some things going for live preformance

hey jeremy, on my tour i used mainly my electribe to play live with. I had some backing tracks with simplistic beats and layers going in traktor off a laptop and i would manually sync up the electribe by hitting play at the right time to the backing beat. I used midi triggering from the electribe to control reaktor beat slicers and effects parameter changes and also to trigger some random event shit. The electribe is it has a headphone output so you can sync up your shit right before you send it to the main mix. You can also very easily solo and mute individual instruments or drum hits which makes for very easy song changes.

• 3 weeks later...

I own and love the EMX-1. While it has limitations like anything, it's hella fun to use, quite flexible, reliable, etc. It is my only gear currently, and if I were to expand I might get a sampler or another synth.

My only complaint is that it is difficult (not impossible) to do chords and pads on it. It is perhaps the only thing about the instrument that is not intuitive. The sounds you can get are unbeatable though, and I pretty much ignore the factory presets and make my own from the ground up.

It's an excellent performance machine as well. If you approach it from the standpoint that it is always playing live, it will help you get the most out of your modulation. I'd recommend it to anyone, for composition or study.

Archived