IGNORED

DUBSTEP::::::::::

Atop

Guest analogue wings
I've heard both Burial albums and also the new 2652 album. None of it really thrills me, although Burial has some decent moments. Should I assume that I just don't much like dubstep and ignore it in the future? or am i missing something.

p.s. - i think shackleton is ok

Try Benga. If u don't like - give up and try instrumtental Grime instead - like the Joker EP on Bleep :devil:

i have to beg to differ that this is less generic, while it is a well mixed great selection of dubstep its the pretty standard plodding predictable affair.

yea i guess you're right. i just felt like the parts that are more agressive and up beat in that mix could be something for someone not feeling the other side of dubstep.

i myself really got in love with dubstep after that and some of Rusko's other mixes

i like the Shackleton and Burial style for great background bobs but i get restless trying to give it my full attention

Saw Kode9 last night in Chicago. Awesome set. Played all the new Hyperdub 12"'s and a ton on unreleased stuff from himself and Burial. Setlist went something like this from what I can remember (has a lot of holes):

9 Samurai

Quarta 330 remix

Skeng

Please

Spliff Dub (Rustie Remix)

Money Honey

Find My Way

Need You

Backward

Poison Dart

old/unreleased Kode9/Burial/lots of stuff I've never heard

2D

Reminissin'

Broken Heart (Martyn's DCM Remix)

Den Of Drumz

Bury Da Bwoy

Please/Superman

I've heard both Burial albums and also the new 2652 album. None of it really thrills me, although Burial has some decent moments. Should I assume that I just don't much like dubstep and ignore it in the future? or am i missing something.

Try Benga. If u don't like - give up and try instrumtental Grime instead - like the Joker EP on Bleep :devil:

besides that ep what else is considered instrumental grime? i think me likes instrumental grime generally better than dubstep, seems to be less predictable with less wobble if you know what i mean

Guest Soothsayer

Some recommendations of what I'd consider "instrumental grime":

Iron Soul(a Kromestar alias)

Macabre Unit

Rossi B and Luca

Joker

Jakes

Early Skream and Benga tracks(their EP's on the Big Apple and Southside Dubstars labels)

edit: also, GBIII, what do you think of the more tech-y dubstep stuff? Pinch, Peverelist, 2562, etc.

Edited by Soothsayer

Macabre Unit

Rossi B and Luca

Joker

Jakes

Early Skream and Benga tracks(their EP's on the Big Apple and Southside Dubstars labels)

edit: also, GBIII, what do you think of the more tech-y dubstep stuff? Pinch, Peverelist, 2562, etc.

Underwater dancehall instrumental by Pinch was pretty decent i think, i prefer it to stuff like Benga and Burial, never heard any peverelist, but yeah the 2562 album imo is the most solid dubstep-ish LP produced to date, i not trying to be too original but its very solid and hits the right notes and beats in all the right places, production is very clean and good. thanks for the recommendations i will check those out

*removes 'step'*

this is nearly my favourite dub track. with some handy eqing would fit into a +step track

why hasn't someone versioned this? think the riddim at least might have been versioned by clouds? could see tes la rok doin a straight cover lol

the upsetters - one step dub

shit is so very ahead of its time

Guest Synthacat 9

white label track so I got it in a torrent a while back :embrassed:

can anyone up this? I need it :angry:

holy crap caspa versioning AoN!

think i have it in a mix but think dubplate only but if anyone wants to contradict me....

my holy grail is a copy of the benga dub that is usually known as 'mental time sig' :D

it made me dance like a pirate

Guest Soothsayer

umm, my "Texas Rhapsody" mix(which I posted here) has that track... ;)

edit: And to take it a step further, I added it in a Moments in Love medley(along w/Matty G's take on the track, and Koopsta Knicca's "Crucifix), I was actually kinda proud of that bit...*blush*

Edited by Soothsayer

Guest masayuki

Chase & Status - Eastern Jam (Indian Dub)

Bollywood Dubstep!!! Amazing!!! (^-^)

Edited by masayuki

Guest analogue wings

besides that ep what else is considered instrumental grime? i think me likes instrumental grime generally better than dubstep, seems to be less predictable with less wobble if you know what i mean

well, if you're not put off by the vocals, then just listen to vocal grime. people are always versioning other ppls beats on mixtapes, so the instrumentals must be out there. You probably need either have mad hookups or live in East London tho. :sad:

I agree fully - it's more diverse, more playful and more dancey

So you have heard the Joker EP?

Macabre Unit

Rossi B and Luca

Joker

Jakes

jesus christ macabre unit is pretty intense! i like it a lot

fuck the direction dubstep is going, 2562 and Kit Clayton better be the same person or Clayton needs to kick a motherfucker's ass...

Ital Tek, Scuba, 6Blocc, Dusk and Blackdown, and Matty G are the path I would rather the dubstep stay on....

but times are simpler and so are minds, so the 4 on the floor must come back....

there is a reason it is called dubstep and not housestep.....

or bassline......

Keep the dub in the dubstep!!!!

LAST POST

ps...listen to Kit Clayton's 'Nek Sanalet' or 'Repetition and Nonsense' and tell me that 2562 didn't rip that shit off!

Macabre Unit

Rossi B and Luca

Joker

Jakes

Underwater dancehall instrumental by Pinch was pretty decent i think, i prefer it to stuff like Benga and Burial, never heard any peverelist, but yeah the 2562 album imo is the most solid dubstep-ish LP produced to date, i not trying to be too original but its very solid and hits the right notes and beats in all the right places, production is very clean and good. thanks for the recommendations i will check those out

You should def check out Peverelist if you like 2562, two of my favorite producers at the moment.

Guest analogue wings
fuck the direction dubstep is going,

if you mean standardising on "wobbler + sample of Jamaican saying something really ethnic + delay" (cf dubstep forum) then RIGHT ON

fuck the direction dubstep is going,

if you mean standardising on "wobbler + sample of Jamaican saying something really ethnic + delay" (cf dubstep forum) then RIGHT ON

agreed

Macabre Unit

Rossi B and Luca

Joker

Jakes

You should def check out Peverelist if you like 2562, two of my favorite producers at the moment.

ive only heard two of his singles, and the only song ive liked was 'infinity is now' . its pretty good would like to hear more stuff of his

also just heard some early Benga/skream split eps, jesus christ this is significantly better than what either are making now. I like some of benga's stuff, but i honestly think mags like the Wire praising Afro warrior as genius is one of the most extreme examples of confusing wine with water i've ever seen.

pretty good track ive been digging on lately macabre - unit-dreamer_(bonus_track) off of Horror Show Promo.

i wish more dubstep and grime was this colorful/playful

Edited by Awepittance

for me a lot of the problems with dubstep and most other dance genres is you find like 1 great track from an artist out of every 5 throw-away tracks they make. The most consistently good dubstepish producers ive heard to date are Lich, 2562, and Bass Cleff. Most of their songs are very well done

I agree they are great producers as well, but Kit Clayton did the dubby house thing first and just as well as 2562 imo, and no I don't mean doing the same shit over and over again.....I mean like Ital Tek, Boxcutter, Distance, Toasty Boy, and Bass Clef....

using the bass as the main vehicle and showing skills in production of the beats, but not using a four on the floor rhythm....

that isn't progression........

unless you want some progressive house!

I do not...........

I still listen to 'electronic music'*

*oh my god not that acronym!!!!!