IGNORED

Headphones

Siegecow

I'm going to be moving out on my own into a place where i need to be quiet most hours of the day, this means i'm probably going to be doing most of my producing, listening, mixing on headphones. I'm not trying to produce perfect music these days, so i don't need the best headphones money can buy, but i'd like to know your guys' input from a producing/mixing standpoint.

Got any reccomendations?

Guest Coalbucket PI

while we are doing another headphones thread, i will add my question:

I need some new headphones for DJing, something that I will be able to hear even if there is a huge speaker rig blaring abour half a foot away. the sort of headphones that seal you off from the outside world. but without costing me too much coz i'm broke lol!!!!!!!!

as for the original topic, all i can say is I have some Sennheiser HDsomethings that sound tremendous, so I would recommend something like that.

I'm going to be moving out on my own into a place where i need to be quiet most hours of the day, this means i'm probably going to be doing most of my producing, listening, mixing on headphones. I'm not trying to produce perfect music these days, so i don't need the best headphones money can buy, but i'd like to know your guys' input from a producing/mixing standpoint.

Got any reccomendations?

alessandro ms-1

akg k 240s

they sound amazing

i took them back complaining that the right speaker was busted and they fixed it, the thing is though i think i might be a bit deaf in my right ear

the meaning to this story is:

akg k 240s

Guest feta lol
akg k 240s

they sound amazing

i took them back complaining that the right speaker was busted and they fixed it, the thing is though i think i might be a bit deaf in my right ear

the meaning to this story is:

akg k 240s

EXACTLY

fuck that noise

645_normal.jpg

ive been using these (sony mdr-v6) since 2001 or so, on my second pair now, and its what i swear by, for production at least as they have a very true monitor sound. plus they are under 100 bucks

Got any reccomendations?

alessandro ms-1

i was actually going to suggest the sr-60 which are much cheaper than the ms-1. They're the best headphones i've ever used.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufact...grado-sr-60.php

Guest Glass Plate

yeah AKG-240's are nice, you can get them pretty cheap on ebay. I got mine for 100. My friend got his for FUCKING TWENTY. They were in MINT condition, was insane.

Guest Mental Eclipse

If you're looking for a closed pair of phones for producing music, I'd recommend the "Equation Audio: RP-21"s. You can purchase them for around $100 and they have great sound quality and a flat sound response. I'd recommend these over the Sony's, but the AKG phones are also very nice for mixing. It's really a matter of what sounds right to you. The "AKGs" and the "Equations" are both excellent phones for around $100.

If you want to use these phones also for portable use, I'd place the RP-21s a little higher then the AKG phones because they are a little easier to drive on a portable device. If you want to listen to any "mixing" phones on a portable player make sure you have a good EQ. The flat-response on these kinds of phones may lack the "booming bass" that other phones have when un-amped with a player. If you have a decent EQ set-up on your player though they should both sound great.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend for DJ'ing. I definitely wouldn't recommend any "Sony" pair or even the AKG: 181-DJs. I haven't looked at the Ultrasones for a while, but those might be good for live mixing and DJ'ing.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend for DJ'ing. I definitely wouldn't recommend any "Sony" pair or even the AKG: 181-DJs. I haven't looked at the Ultrasones for a while, but those might be good for live mixing and DJ'ing.

I had to buy them for work, as they are "studio standard" but have kept using them ever since I also own a pair of AKGs and i run everything through a headphone amp.

I definitely wouldn't recommend any "Sony" pair or even the AKG: 181-DJs. I

Oh, ffs, this gets said in every thread and I find myslef compelled to correct it. Least its not that usual prick Orubasarot. Oh hang on, hes turned up anyway.

Along with the high end sennheisers , Sony MDR 7509s are generally considered the industry standard. Whatever that means. I have a pair, they're great, but they're not easy to mix on, but thats because they're headphones. And they're expensive, especially in the UK.

I had to buy them for work, as they are "studio standard" but have kept using them ever since I also own a pair of AKGs and i run everything through a headphone amp.

I've never heard of a "Headphone amp". I was just planning on plugging the headphones into my speakers. Can you show me an example of a headphone amp?

Guest Mental Eclipse
I definitely wouldn't recommend any "Sony" pair or even the AKG: 181-DJs. I

Oh, ffs, this gets said in every thread and I find myslef compelled to correct it. Least its not that usual prick Orubasarot. Oh hang on, hes turned up anyway.

Along with the high end sennheisers , Sony MDR 7509s are generally considered the industry standard. Whatever that means. I have a pair, they're great, but they're not easy to mix on, but thats because they're headphones. And they're expensive, especially in the UK.

I simply said that I wouldn't recommend any "Sony" headphones for DJ mixing. The MDR-7506s are fine for studio headphones. I would personally recommend the Equation: RP-21s and the AKG's above the Sony's but that's just my personal opinion. You can get the Sony: V6 for under $70 and they are a great deal.

Guest Mental Eclipse
that does, but fuck those are expensive so i'm gonna have to do without one... bad idea?

It depends what you want to use your headphones for. I don't use an amp because I use my RP-21s with a nice MP3 player with a great EQ. The RP-21s also drives well with portables so that also takes away the need of an amp. As for the AKGs and Beyer phones, I'm not sure how they do unamped. The Sony: V6 sounds really good unamped.

I'd highly recommend this website for info on headphones. The people on this site have great knowledge about all kinds of headphones...

www.head-fi.org

Guest Mental Eclipse
I'm going to save you time, stress, and money, and tell you to buy the Sennheiser HD650s. "Shut the fuck up you goddamn idiot and get the fuck out of my thread" you might say, but let me present you with a little story.

In 2000 I bought a pair of Koss KTX Pros, the old design Radio Shack charged 200% for, my first good headphones ($30) (just average)

In 2001 I bought a pair of Grado SR60s ($80). (too bright)

In 2002 I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD280pros ($120) (too muddy and abrasive, sweaty, breaky)

In 2003 I bought a pair of AKG K271s($180) (no low end, excellent build quality)

In 2004 I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250-250s($200) (fantastic, but not quite for mastering)

In 2005 I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s ($300) (too bright) and Shure E2s ($100)

In 2006 I bought a pair of Ultrasone ProLine 750s ($500) (too weird) and Shure E3s ($150)

In 2007 I finally bought a pair of Sennheiser HD650s ($600 retail, $250 used) (perfect)

Total: about $2000 fucking goddamn dollars motherfucker, and that's not counting the two solid state and tube hybrid amps that were another $500 on top of that.

Why in the fuck did I just not buy the goddamn Sennheiser HD 650s in the first place? On the used market, $250 is NOTHING, fucking nothing compared to what you get. You get perfection, there is no need to go up from here, AKG K701s are good rivals but the HD650s are even name dropped by mastering engineers as potentially useful tools unlike nearly every other headphone (even the flat as fuck Etymotics don't always get those credentials). The HD 650s don't exist. First there is the recording, and then there's your ear, and as far as you're concerned there is nothing else in between. Taking upgrade babysteps is a stupid ass waste of time, you can get the quality of higher end Dynaudio's for the same price it might cost to wash your stupid ugly fucking dog.

Those look like awesome headphones, but I'd just like to point out that they are "open design". This could be a problem for people who need isolation.

Guest butane bob

Where would be a good place to pick up a new set of these if I live in Europe?

Thomann.de doesn't have em.

Guest butane bob

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I've Sennheiser HD-25s at the moment and damn they give me such a fucking headache :(

Archived