IGNORED

Criterion collection

Guest Soothsayer

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone take advantage of the sale they had on the site right before they put the new webpage up? It was like 40% off everything. Of course by the time I had money to buy anything, all the releases I wanted were sold out. :cry:

I'll probably be buying myself these for Christmas...

392_box_348x490.jpg

EclipseOring_KUROSAWA.jpg

377_box_348x490.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Soothsayer

Watched The Browning Version again last night...this film is fantastic. I like it more every time I see it, and this really is one of my favorite releases on Criterion.

Michael Redgrave's performance in this is probably one of the better performances I've ever seen anyone give in a film.

The Third Man

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Ordet

Day of Wrath

Gertrude

Virgin Spring

Seventh Seal

Wild Strawberries

Smiles of a Summer Night

Andrei Rublev

Charade

Peeping Tom

Breathless

The 39 Steps

The Rules of the Game

M

8 1/2

Solaris

Seven Samurai

Rashomon

The 400 Blows

The Bicycle Theif

Tokyo Story

Guest MajaIloveyou

Following WATMM advice i went after Sweet Movie.

I went into the awesome artsy film little place and asked kindly, while holding under my arm recently purchased Bootlegs, "Do you have a 70's film called Sweet movie? by some russian director i think"

I was inmediatly corrected on the nationality part, followed by a "yes, we have it, let me search for it"

After a few minutes of diving into piles of films the one in question poped up. i was also offered the previous work, (Misteries of the organism?) but i thought this one was enough for today.

after the transaction i read the description at the back, seemed sweet enough indeed.

5/5

Seriously

Im so glad i bought it.

5 top sick moments in order of sickness:

1. kids at the boat being seduced.

2. the whole dinner/shit fest

3. Baby massage

4. Stabbed and bitten @ the sugar thing

5. The black guy's muscles

Oh and i really enjoyed the black and white scenes, they were beautiful.

I'm definitively watching it again, and i cant wait to show it to as many friends as possible, what an amazing piece. cant believe i missed it for so long.

Guest MajaIloveyou

The person i watched it with felt extremely uncomfortable, i cant deny i did put my hand on my forehead thiking wtf is this? at some points. but still, i feel like watching it over and over again. opposed to Salo which i had enough at 1 watch. i still have the extras for tomorrow, interviews and stuff. +1 for my tiny critetion collection also.

Guest Soothsayer

Seriously, if you liked Sweet Movie, check Mysteries of the Organism. imo, it's a better film than Sweet Movie.

Also, to make your Salo/Sweet Movie connection complete, watch the extra on the Sweet Movie disc w/Anna Prucnel singing the song in the finale of the film, only w/altered lyrics by Pasolini :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Soothsayer

k, here's some fuckin' exciting news right here...I'm pulling this from another message board:

"We hosted Marilyn Brakhage at Filmforum last Sunday, and she confirmed that they are working on a new Criterion with 29 more films (!).

Actually, she is in Los Angeles this week working with the Academy Film Archive on the telecine.

http://lafilmforum.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... -brakhage/

The seven that we screened are among the 29:

The Machine of Eden (1970, 16 mm, silent, 11 min)

The Machine (of Eden) operates via “spots” - from sun’s disks (of the camera lens) thru emulsion grains (within which, each, a universe might be found) and snow’s flakes (echoing technical aberrations on film’s surface) blots (upon the lens itself) and the circles of sun and moon, etcetera; these “mis-takes” give birth of “shape” (which, in this work, is “matter” subject and otherwise) amidst a weave of thought: (I add these technicalities, here, to help viewers defeat the habits of classical symbolism so that this work may be immediately seen, in its own light): the “dream” of Eden will speak for itself.

“He was born, he suffered, he died” (1974, 16 mm, silent, 7 min)

The quote is Joseph Conrad answering a critic who found his books too long. Conrad replied that he could write a novel on the inside of a match-book cover, thus (as above), but that he “preferred to elaborate.” The “Life” of the film is scratched on black leader. The “elaboration” of color tonalities is as the mind’s eye responds to hieroglyph.

Burial Path (1978, 16mm, color/silent, 15min (18fps))

The film begins with the image of a dead bird. The mind moves to forget, as well as to remember: this film, in the tradition of Thot-Fal’n, graphs the process of forgetfulness against all oddities of remembered bird-shape. The film might best be seen along with Sirius Remembered and The Dead as the third part of a trilogy.

Visions in Meditation #4 (1990, 16 mm, silent, 19 min)

I’ve made three pilgrimages in my life: the 40-some-year home of Sigmund Freud in Vienna, Emily Dickinson’s in Amherst, and the mountain ranch and crypt, would you call it?, of D.H. Lawrence, outside Taos. I keep returning to the Lawrence environs again and again; and this last time attempted photography in that narrow little building where his ashes were (or were not) deposited (contradictory stories about that). There is a child-like sculpture of The Phoenix at the far end of the room, a perfectly lovely emblem to deflate any pomposity people have added to Lawrence’s “I rise in flames ….” The building is open, contains only a straw chair (remindful of the one Van Gogh painted) and a broom, which I always use with delight to sweep the dust and leaves from this simple abode. I have tried to make a film as true to the spirit of Lawrence as is this gentle chapel in homage of him. I have attempted to leave each image within the film free to be itself and only obliquely in the service of Lawrence’s memory. I have wanted to make it a film within which that child-Phoenix can reasonably nest. – S.B.

Boulder Blues and Pearls and… (1992, 16 mm, Sound by Rick Corrigan, 23 min)

Music by Rick Corrigan.

Peripheral envisionment of daily life as the mind has it - i.e., a terrifying ecstasy of (hand-painted) synapting nerve ends back-firing from thought’s grip of life.

Persians 1-3 (1999, 16 mm, silent, 8 min)

Persian Series #1: This hand-painted and elaborately step-printed work begins with a flourish of reds and yellows and purples in palpable fruit-like shapes intersperced by darkness, then becomes lit lightning-like by sharp multiply-colored twigs-of shape, all resolving into shapes of decay.

Persian Series #2: Multiple thrusts and then retractions of oranges, reds, blues, and the flickering, almost black, textural dissolves suggesting an amalgam approaching script.

Persian Series #3: Dark, fast-paced symmetry in mixed weave of tones moving from oranges & yellows to blue-greens, then retreating (dissolves of zooming away) to both rounded and soft-edged shapes shot with black.

Chinese Series (2003, 35mm, silent, 2 min)

“Stan Brakhage had been planning a film inspired by Chinese ideograms for years; he made his unfinished Chinese Series in his dying months, scratching its marks on black 35-mm film. In its two haunting minutes, exploding lines flirt with the depiction of recognizable objects.” – Fred Camper, from the Chicago Reader, September 12, 2003."

WOOHOOO!!!!!

The Third Man

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Ordet

Day of Wrath

Gertrude

Virgin Spring

Seventh Seal

Wild Strawberries

Smiles of a Summer Night

Andrei Rublev

Charade

Peeping Tom

Breathless

The 39 Steps

The Rules of the Game

M

8 1/2

Solaris

Seven Samurai

Rashomon

The 400 Blows

The Bicycle Theif

Tokyo Story

Flowers of St. Francis (!!!!)

Au Revoir Les Enfantes

Diary of a Country Priest

Guest Soothsayer

Yeah Flowers of St. Francis is wonderful, the scene when Francis meets St. Claire is very endearing.

I'm happy Criterion is about to release so much more Rossellini(none of it in the same vein of Flowers of St. Francis, though)...

• 3 weeks later...

you definately get what you pay for though and if you hunt you can find them for $20-25. barnes and noble has buy 2 get one free right now :-)

criterion is looking great this year - both rossellini releases + the eclipse boxset; color kurosawa; wajda's danton - looking forward to this one; two oshima's; two amazing bunuel's and sirk's magnificent obsession which I'll be watching for the first time soon. hope they keep pace

only ones i've got are

Time Bandits

Slacker

Two-Lane Blacktop

though i've seen a bunch more from netflix. don't know them all but apparently i wasn't to impressed. love the packaging but i've got to get over that shit. i've already got a copy of Dazed and Confused in a more regular edition and don't plan on buy the Criterion of it. i kind of wanted to, but i had to realize that, that was really fucking stupid and a waste. if i'm going to buy Criterion it's because that's the only way i can get it at the time.

also Criterion does updated more expensive editions of movies they've already put out. Seven Samurai for one, if that's not the only one. i'd rather just get the older version to save a few.

Archived