IGNORED

fold4,wrap5 - how it's done DISCUSSION/ARGUMENTS THREAD

modey

Guest Larry David

I was wondering if the beat in 777 was 7/8 then is the melody too? (and therefore the whole track)...????

The thing that always amazes me is that if i were to create, say 777, i'd be so chuffed with myself for the rest of my life that i could do nothing more and still feel satisfied....yet autechre pull of '777's all the friggin time...which makes me feel worthless and shit....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the entire song is in 7/8

It is not unlike them to do a melody and a beat in different time signatures though. Slip for instance. The melody is in like 29/8 or something if I remember correctly, while the beat is in 4/4.

nice work! Was it a pain in the ass to do this?

not really! the hardest part was figuring out where the tempo had to double, which was quite easy!

Yea, sounds like you got the bpm just right. Do you think this is how AE did it considering the gear they would have been using back in '98?

it might have been, though i guess they probably just used a software sequencer controlling a bunch of machines. or was that when they were starting to use software more prominently?

the entire song is in 7/8

It is not unlike them to do a melody and a beat in different time signatures though. Slip for instance. The melody is in like 29/8 or something if I remember correctly, while the beat is in 4/4.

yeah, 777 wouldn't be hard to reproduce, but there's just a lot of stuff going on in that track, i wouldn't know where to start!

speaking of which, i should study bine a bit more, i still haven't found a pattern in it, unless it IS just a glitch workout like i suspected?

do you think they make it on purpose or do they just slice them afterwards and then these constructions start to evolve ?

I have no idea. But I think in the case of generative patches, they like controlled them with hardware controllers or something.

it might have been, though i guess they probably just used a software sequencer controlling a bunch of machines. or was that when they were starting to use software more prominently?

I dunno, all the drum sounds on LP5 sound like software and computer sequencing. I know Chiastic was their first album with computers and stuff though.

Guest Enter a new display name
I know Chiastic was their first album with computers and stuff though.

Wow, I have always thought they only used hardwares for that one.

I dunno, all the drum sounds on LP5 sound like software and computer sequencing.

yeah, i thought so too. it has a lot of fft/spectral stuff.. i'd love to know how exactly they did the end of "vose in" though, i read somewhere that it was mostly tape effects.

I think he was joking about 7/7 time.

And no the melody pattern of slip is not entirely in four. The chords an beat follow a 4/4 pattern, which allows the the looping line to add regular syncopation throughout the song.

I don't mean to sound vain or anything.. but I've never found fold4,wrap5 confusing... it just sounds like a beat slowing down and then speeding up again, I've never imagined it as anything other than what Modex pointed out... which always made me feel like there's something I'm not hearing in it...

Now PULE... does that even have a time signature? And Blifil confuses the heck out of me too

I don't mean to sound vain or anything.. but I've never found fold4,wrap5 confusing... it just sounds like a beat slowing down and then speeding up again, I've never imagined it as anything other than what Modex pointed out... which always made me feel like there's something I'm not hearing in it...

Now PULE... does that even have a time signature? And Blifil confuses the heck out of me too

exactly! that was what i was trying to prove, no 5/4 vs. 4/4, or whatever, just a "barber pole" tempo.

i'm not sure about pule, it's pretty hard to decipher without drums.

.. and i think blifil is some weird twist on triplets, making them sound like eighth notes.. or something? towards the end it sounds like triplets.

and thanks kaini! sometimes i think i spend way too much time trying to prove a point, hahah.

Blifil starts if 4/4, but as the song goes on, they change the time signature every other measure. I think they just drop a few eighth notes. They do something similar in their untilted live set. And then of course the tempo changes. Never really tried to analyze it. Neither with Pule. Pule has a pattern, but never tried to analyze it.

Archived