IGNORED

richard jonas (plugexpert) - stekkerspel

Guest iep

ssdetail.jpg

this is Jonas the Plugexpert (from WATMM fame) album on the already legendary dutch label etherkreet. what you have here is some really good music. you can hear a sample, or read a description below:

stekkerspel

Based on sound material made in the analogue studio of the Institute of Sonology, this album is dense & varied with many diffuse sequences following each other up in a spliced tape-collage manner..Starting out with skewed and clicky rhythms from pulse generators, it grows more hecticnear the end with thick layers of noisy and abrasive material.

The album has elements from video game music and drum & bass, but shaped into a hectic and unique sounding form: playful but detailed, with convulsing cut ups and hair pin corners all over.

pm me to buy it at a fantastic discount!

yeah but you might have been wondering why the all plugs are there on the cover. well thats because this album is by Jonas the Plugexpert (from WATMM fame). despite that fact we strongly suggest that you buy it.

even influential music writer Frans de Waard, well known for his weekly Vital Weekly magazine, had the following to say in last weeks issue of Vital Weekly:

Richard Jonas recorded sound material in the analogue studio of the Institute of Sonology and from these sounds built his own work called 'Stekkerspel' (which is a funny word play as a 'stekker' means plug and 'spel' is game or play), referring to the plugs old analogue synthesizers have. He creates nine relatively short tracks with this material, which takes him all over the place. As easy going from serious 'Forbidden Planet' alike material, he can suddenly create a beat or two or leap into music for sci-fi computer games. As the pieces are short and joyful, this is a very nice release to hear. Jonas keeps his material fresh by not exploiting them to the hilt. A fine combination of styles mixed into something [...] which is refreshing to hear.

i believe i have a few of these tracks somewhere

that's just what you're thinking. in fact, this album consists of a plenthora of tracks that are layered and combined in novel ways. when i say layered, i mean that you hear multiple tracks at the same time, which is obviously incredible value for money.

Guest lullezucht

I'm really gutted this is being ignored, because I'm really fucking excited about this release.

I don't care about my own release or Iep's getting any attention here, because it's not really watmm material. but this one deserves a little more attention.

Forget the promo talk.

We don't make any money with this nor lose much if we don't sell shit.

I already have it for a couple of months and still listen to this record regularly and it never fails to put a huge grin on my face.

First of all it sounds really fresh and the production is crystal clear.

The album is mostly based on analogue goodness from this studio, but it also features kyma and csound.

How fucking electronic music is that? He even used some children voice samples to satisfy the boc heads.

And it doesn't turn out as unlistenable pretentious academic wank, because Richard throws in some hints of video game music and jungle plus a lot of his signature renoise stylings.

No it doesn't mean this is stylistically all over the place. It's a coherent and flowing mix of 30:17 min.

I know I'm going to regret posting this, but fuck it.

End of rant

Last post

Guest vodor

i thought the sample was pretty cool but all the blurbs and descriptions and hyperbole kinda put me off

i'm fickle like that

for example:

i mean that you hear multiple tracks at the same time, which is obviously incredible value for money.

:rolleyes:

awesome, that's what i thought (CDDB is wrong, discogs is right, FWIW)

only listened once so far but i really enjoyed it. it reminds me a little of the Puzzleweasel album on Sublight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived