IGNORED

what's the best sequencing software for n00bs?

eh Speedy

For me fruity loops and reason are like making music using a cartoon. But they could b good if u want techno in a bag. u Can tell a fruity or reason track a mile off though if u arent careful.

silly comment.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest David R James
For me fruity loops and reason are like making music using a cartoon. But they could b good if u want techno in a bag. u Can tell a fruity or reason track a mile off though if u arent careful.

Isn't this the case with all software and even hardware? If you don't tweak all the knobs a bit and never edit the samples everything will sound the same.

I agree yes.

silly comment.

Yes

Guest David R James
Luke vibert uses reason now.

i wonder if you can guess what software i use if you can tell software apart that well...

U use fruity loops + hardware

Guest David R James

But let me say this b4 people continue to have ago at my comment. If u write a track that isnt that good with those pieces of software u can tell its that software. If u use it transparently then yeah it wont.

i wonder if you can guess what software i use if you can tell software apart that well...

aha, and now explain how you know

He is related to Mrs.Cleo

He is related to Mrs.Cleo

damn Mrs. Cleo and her soothing breasteses

ok, i have a quetsion for this thread

at the moment my computer is a 1.3 g athlon with one gig of ram

i've only run reason on this computer and it worked fine. there's something fucked in the registry though where i can't get version four working...

i just sold all my hardware soo

so:

do i reinstal reason 3 or 2.5

or should i try flstudio

i just wonder if fruity err fl , will work on my computer,,,, which version should i try that will run ok on my computer? should i get a fruity version, or an early fl

which version yo?

fuck it, get reason 3 and fl studio 6 both installed - should both work fine on your athlon 1.3, then you can evaluate which you prefer or re-wire them together and use both at once!

fuck it, get reason 3 and fl studio 6 both installed - should both work fine on your athlon 1.3, then you can evaluate which you prefer or re-wire them together and use both at once!

Great advice -- especially on the rewire! I started with FL3 an age ago and it's ace for starting out (I'm sure it's even better these days)

ok, i have a quetsion for this thread

at the moment my computer is a 1.3 g athlon with one gig of ram

i've only run reason on this computer and it worked fine. there's something fucked in the registry though where i can't get version four working...

i just sold all my hardware soo

so:

do i reinstal reason 3 or 2.5

or should i try flstudio

i just wonder if fruity err fl , will work on my computer,,,, which version should i try that will run ok on my computer? should i get a fruity version, or an early fl

which version yo?

If you're not using reason, you're burning money.

Reason simply kicks ass as a learning environment.. I started out with zero musical knowledge on it, learnt melody and basic synthesis, mixing, editing, wiring etc... Worked my way up with everything basically, since it has all the components required to make a track and edit sounds etc..

An advantage it has over the VST hosts, in being it's own contained environment, is that it practically forces creativity when you want to make unique sounds of your own and you have to start modify the synths and samples (thus learning how things work) in fun ways, rather than going on a VST download bender and still never getting to that point where you grok a particular form of synthesis.

Nowadays I use ableton but I still rewire it from time to time, since i know the synths inside out which is rarely the case with all these SoundXtra Massive v3 Subadditive Splooge SynthesisTM VST synths around.

I never got around to fruityloops so I can't form an opinion of it, but I would venture to express that you aren't going to go wrong with reason.. Basically, learn every single knob of the subtractor and what they do, look into the setup of factory combinators etc.. the compression and mastering FX are handy as well.

The reason people hate on Reason is because it always sounds as reason if you're using all the built in FX, samples and reverb etc, it's mixing algorithms in particular are pretty shitty (not something you should be bothered with at the moment).

but start playing with it and a year or two from now you're going to be able to move on and create kickass tunes with any VST host you like.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest welcome to the machine

I know because luke vibert said in an interview hat he uses it, no magical ears here, just reading.

he also said he uses the preset synth sounds and just tweaks them about.

there is no great program, no great sequencer, no great secret, just listening, learning and thinking of funny ways to make your music interesting.

and a lot of time.

to the OP learn to use any of them and you will have gone a long way to learning all the rest, the principles are the same for all sequencers. somewhere to draw notes, somewhere to arrange patterns and how to add effects. ways to slice and mess around with audio differ but can be achieved with all programs, and the way you link synths to channels etc differs but not too much.

I teach tech at a college and all the students shy away from logic at first. 5 months in when weve covered all the basics in reason we show them where to find the same tools in logic and they are putting together tracks almost straight away.

Trackers are a bit of an exception to this, but are still fairly easy to get your head around with some kind of tutorial and some time :)

Trackers are a bit of an exception to this, but are still fairly easy to get your head around with some kind of tutorial and some time :)

True dat. I think I learnt how to use trackers when I were about 10 or 11 when there was a copy of Octamed 3 on CU Amiga. I used to also like loading non .med tracks into Octomed to see how long it'd play glitchy noise till it crashed beautifully.

Guest Iain C

It's obvious. You felt compelled to defend your DAW so it's going to be either FL or Reason and FL gets more stick so its users tend to be more insecure. He knows you use hardware because you've posted about it here. I could have guessed FL and hardware without ever hearing one of your tracks.

Guest Adjective

i started with Reason, i think it was great to learn with since it was limited in instruments. the limitation made me really explore every inch of the instruments, chain them, stack them, etc.

ultimately i moved to Renoise and i love it, but i think i would've lost a lot of steam and felt a little lost starting with Renoise.

I’ve been using FL Studio since version 3 and I’ve always been really impressed with it. It’s a perfect program for people new to music production, but it’s still worth checking out for anyone interested in electronic music. I use FL Studio along with Live 7 for arranging music. No matter how much I use Live 7, I still find myself coming back to FL Studio all the time.

I’d definitely check out demos for both Reason and FL Studio before making a final decision though. There is also a program called “Project 5” that may be worth checking out. I don’t know much about it though.

Guest David R James

It's obvious. You felt compelled to defend your DAW so it's going to be either FL or Reason and FL gets more stick so its users tend to be more insecure. He knows you use hardware because you've posted about it here. I could have guessed FL and hardware without ever hearing one of your tracks.

Lol ur so funny , cos that is not right. There is a much more obvious explanation.

Archived