IGNORED

Mixing / mashup software - something very simple needed

awepittance

Ok here is what im trying to accomplish. I made a 35 track long lp where every song is a perfect loop and same bpm.

I want to be able to include instructions with the lp on how to listen to it as an infinitely changing series of mashups.

If theoretically i could have 2 audio players open side by side and by hitting play they would both start playing at the same instant, this would be ideal since they are the same tempo anyways i wouldn't have to nudge or adjust it to get it to sync.

that's step one i need it to be able to play both files from one play button.

step two is being able to have each player have randomized/shuffle on. this will allow so that when each respective track ends it will automatically go to a new one while perfectly continuing the beat (if a 2 second or any kind of gap occurred it would go off sync) so i need something that has the ability to shuffle randomly (like a minidisc) and not pause whatsoever.

First i thought i had this going fine in 2 x Winamps but i noticed that depending on how much shit i was doing on my Cpu at the time or how many programs i had open it would go off sync pretty easily and pause slightly between shuffling.

So does anybody know of an easy software to use to accomplish this, preferably one i can tell listeners to use when playing back my album in this way?

ok ive just been experimenting with actual DJ software today and the mixing /cueing up both songs at the same part works perfectly. They accomplish that just fine.

The part im having trouble with in these dj programs is something thats probably very simple im failing to see

I just need 2 separate play lists (for decks A and B) both shuffled /randomized that automatically continue to the next song once one of the decks reaches the end of the track.

can Traktor or other software do this?

You could probably write a program to do this in visual basic pretty easily and just include it as an exe on the cd.

It has built in functionality for playing mp3s or waves (or technically anything media player can handle)

I wrote an alarm clock program that did pretty much this, at a specific time, it was told to play something from a random list. If you had two of these things...

the songs... are they all the same length?

no but they are perfect loops. in theory if it shuffles to the next random song it will stay on beat (without any pausing if this is even possible)

You could probably write a program to do this in visual basic pretty easily and just include it as an exe on the cd.

It has built in functionality for playing mp3s or waves (or technically anything media player can handle)

I wrote an alarm clock program that did pretty much this, at a specific time, it was told to play something from a random list. If you had two of these things...

would you be willing to share this code? i know a tiny bit of visual basic, maybe i can use it.

would you be willing to share this code? i know a tiny bit of visual basic, maybe i can use it.

My PC crashed and I've since changed operating systems. There are tons of free VB sites out there. You could also do something like this in java I imagine, but VB might be a bit cooler as you could decorate it and whatnot.

acid thanks for the suggestion, i ended up finding a very hefty featured mp3 player very similar to winamp in visual basic. I think this will do it for me! its going to take me a little time to figure out how to link the play buttons together and what not.

also in winamp i think the reason it was pausing so much for me is because of the encoder that i was using to go from wav to mp3.

I was using an old cooledit pro /adobe audtion built in thing to encode. Now i used LameXP and it seems to be working perfect with even winamp now! I was thinking maybe an even easier way to do this would be to make a windows macro/task scheduler so that the user just clicks a button and it opens 2x winamps with same playlist both on shuffle and the play button starts at the exact same time on both. I'll be investigating both possibilities, and i will share the results when done

ok for those wanting to beta this thing out before i release it try this

http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/jiz/ant/...%20test%202.rar

here are the mp3s, 35 or so tracks

instructions :

1) download newest version if winamp free

2) go to preferences, on the main preference screen check the box 'allow multiple instances'

3) close both, then click on the winamp icon twice until two instances are running

4) now go into preferences, go to 'hotkeys' , click 'enable' then assign for 'play' the hotkey 'J'

5) on the other winamp do the same thing in the hotkeys but assign for 'play' the hotkey 'K'

6) load up these mp3s in both winamps, set on shuffle mode

7) Hit J + K at the same time, it might take 4-5 tries to get the mp3s synced perfectly (since it is inhumanly possible to hit two keys at the exact same time)

let me know if you have success or failure

by my own tests the longest i got it synced for was about 1 and a half hours of random mashup combinations

this is the cover a picture of the setup used to make all of the songs contained herein

cover%20copy.jpg

ok for those wanting to beta this thing out before i release it try this

http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/jiz/ant/...%20test%202.rar

here are the mp3s, 35 or so tracks

instructions :

1) download newest version if winamp free

2) go to preferences, on the main preference screen check the box 'allow multiple instances'

3) close both, then click on the winamp icon twice until two instances are running

4) now go into preferences, go to 'hotkeys' , click 'enable' then assign for 'play' the hotkey 'J'

5) on the other winamp do the same thing in the hotkeys but assign for 'play' the hotkey 'K'

6) load up these mp3s in both winamps, set on shuffle mode

7) Hit J + K at the same time, it might take 4-5 tries to get the mp3s synced perfectly (since it is inhumanly possible to hit two keys at the exact same time)

let me know if you have success or failure

by my own tests the longest i got it synced for was about 1 and a half hours of random mashup combinations

this is the cover a picture of the setup used to make all of the songs contained herein

cover%20copy.jpg

hey this is pretty cool! at the moment it's playing two instances of track 19 at once, offset slightly heheh.

but yeah it would be nice if you could put an exe file together to do this!

Wow I really like this, I am just using Winamp and Windows Media Player together, and it's sounding pretty solid. Took me a bit of time to get them synched, I didn't realize this before but I think Winamp moves the location of the song when you pause a lot, lol.

im surprised and please you guys took the time to do this. Yes overall starting them at the exact same time is NOT essential its just essential to get them synced at some point,and that can be achieved by nudging one of them until it sounds 'right' now mind you it probably will be very difficult to do a proper on the '1' down beat sync, but tempo sync with the beats being out of phase is very easy to achieve. This can also have interesting unpredictable results and also lead to infinitely more mashup possibilities.

thanks 2 modey and tamas

nice concept!

you could write a vb program that would play a one-hour set, some random elements in it, it would sound different each time you hit play!

also could import those tracks in Jeskola Buzz and have them play in sync, running each of them through a mixer with separate fx / eq.

This is hella tite. Like that Gescom minidisc thing.. x2. I don't know how tightly I have WMP and Winamp sync'd, but it's sounding real good to my ears. Nice work!

P.S. Just have to add.. this is REAL sick. Me rikey.

Guest skullfunked

This looks interesting... I want to get back into os programming so I might try and knock up a quick little exe that does this out of a folder of mp3s.

This looks interesting... I want to get back into os programming so I might try and knock up a quick little exe that does this out of a folder of mp3s.

if you do this i will give you full credit and send you a bunch of free cds and vinyl from my label in return ! if you don't mind if i include it with this free release of course, open source or not as long as it works.

with a program like this i could even refine the concept so that the loops are much shorter (10 seconds max) and all the same length, with the end of result of like an infinitely evolving song

Ok here is the newest download link - http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/jiz/ant/...cMus1&2.rar

i took down the oldone

Archived