IGNORED

i'm leaving WATMM

kokoon

Guest zaphod

game story/plot writing seems to have the same issue most sci fi has; it's written by its intended audience, rather than a group of really talented writers. i'd like games a lot more and accept the fact that they're so similar to movies if they had strong plots and writing, but when you have a group of guys that are all basically gamers/nerds writing the game, i just don't think it works.

though this certainly isn't always the case with games.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest analogue wings

i know they occasionaly hire real authors, and obviously they need a script for the voice talent to read.

if there's "name" voice talent they probably have to have their shit together well before the other milestones to fit with the talent's schedule.

plus if they want good voice acting, they need a director for the recording sessions who understands the context of the lines and has an holistic overview of the game's story.

(i guess this is why the character voiced by the name actor usually snuffs it early lol)

Guest catsonearth

yea, game writing is generally lackluster, even in the best circumstances. i'd love to write a game. i know i'm assuming a lot because i don't really know all that's involved in writing a game, but i can't see how i could possibly do worse than what's already standard. i'm pretty sure i could do better than the crap most games turn out. they're all so formulaic and lazy when you really get down to it.

what game would you write if you could?

The writing usually matches the voice acting it seems, in most games. Mass Effect had wicked voice acting, Fallout 3 not so much. Sometimes shit voice acting is great though!

"I saw a mud crab the other day!"

Nasty little critters.

I thing I don't get about game voice acting is how it's actually recorded. And this ties into the writing too.

Does some writer do his bit, then pass it onto the sound guy to get it recorded? I've always imagined it that I'd write a scene from the game, then go into the sound room and try to express to the actor how it needs to be. It seems sometimes like voice actors are reading from a book, but does that mean if the writing is better then the voice acting in turn will be?

God I don't know. I just don't know.

• 5 weeks later...

The new DLC, Point Lookout, looks reeeeally good. I'll be honest to say that I haven't played any of the DLCs that are available as I'm waiting for all of them to come out in a collector's edition or something like that, but Point Lookout looks like the DLC to download, because it really looks like something the Fallout 3 universe has been missing.

Guest catsonearth
The new DLC, Point Lookout, looks reeeeally good. I'll be honest to say that I haven't played any of the DLCs that are available as I'm waiting for all of them to come out in a collector's edition or something like that, but Point Lookout looks like the DLC to download, because it really looks like something the Fallout 3 universe has been missing.

yea, point lookout does look awesome. i was going to wait for the collector's edition to get them all together too, but the pressure just got to me and i cracked. i got the broken steel one that continues the main mission and ups the level cap. pretty nice to be able to keep it going and explore some of the places i missed the first time around. i've been taking my time with the mission though and just roaming since the ending kinda took me by surprise last time and i missed a lot. i don't know if it'd be worth it if you explored the game fully the first time around though, but it was only 10 bucks.

Guest abusivegeorge
The best voice acting of all time would be from "House of the Dead".

Oh man I used to FUCKING LOVE that game on my PC, I'm gonna have to dig it out and re-install I think.

the other night i was wearing recon armour and snuck up on a mr. gutsy having a chat with another robot in the national archive about how there was an intruder in the building and this was his time to shine. pissed myself laughing.

Guest catsonearth

i just found the little village where the chick is a freak for nuka-cola quantum. she gave me the quest to bring her some, then i went outside and talked to her boy toy, who said he'd pay me for them so he could give them to her to get some action. then i suggested that if he went and got all the quantum for me, i'd have a threesome with him and his girl. he dropped everything and immediately turned tail to the nuka-cola factory. that was several days ago. haven't seen him since. oh well, at least he died with thoughts of a double bj.

LOL after he told me he would pay double for the cola so he could give it to her a deathclaw pop'd outta no where and instantly killed him...he dropped a super nice shotgun called the kneecapper or something

Guest analogue wings

trying to play broken steel...

I did the heroic Wrath of Khan ending and wake from a coma 2 weeks later and i cant move and shit. all i can do is cough with the E button lol.

anyway this state is presumably supposed to end at some point. the walkthroughs dont say anything about having to wait 20+ minutes for something to happen.

i haz teh bugX0r?

I did the heroic Wrath of Khan ending and wake from a coma 2 weeks later and i cant move and shit. all i can do is cough with the E button lol.

anyway this state is presumably supposed to end at some point. the walkthroughs dont say anything about having to wait 20+ minutes for something to happen.

i haz teh bugX0r?

have you tired doing the wait command?

Guest catsonearth

i haz teh bugX0r?

hmm, i remember waking up from the coma, but i wasn't crippled or anything. could it be that your character is just a little bitch?

Archived