I know a room full of musical tunes

Some rhyme

Some ching

Most of them are clockwork

Let's go into the other room and make them work

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this bike for 3.5 years and it needs a clean but it really is the best way to get around the city, the city is a fucking mess of traffic and road works so getting to work takes 25 minutes where as on a bus it would take 50 minutes and its only 4 miles away.

dsc00760az0.jpg

dsc00761cv9.jpg

Hey Zelah. Sweet lugs on that bike you posted.. more companies should put lugs on their frames! Is it a steel frame?

I have no ideological problems with fixed/single gear bikes, but I could never ride one. I have a steel knee and I need my gears! Plus, I like to go up hills ;)

i need a bike again... i found some cool trails in my area... i need to start riding again... i'm still not over my bike getting stolen about 4 years ago!

Guest WhoNeedsElectricity
Hey Zelah. Sweet lugs on that bike you posted.. more companies should put lugs on their frames! Is it a steel frame?

I have no ideological problems with fixed/single gear bikes, but I could never ride one. I have a steel knee and I need my gears! Plus, I like to go up hills ;)

I thought I would have trouble climbing hills in Berkeley and San Francisco on and old Raleigh conversion, but all the weight lost from removing the road groupo made climbing a lot of hills pretty easy.

Guest Al Hounos

I thought I would have trouble climbing hills in Berkeley and San Francisco on and old Raleigh conversion, but all the weight lost from removing the road groupo made climbing a lot of hills pretty easy.

Well yeah, single speed is cool, but fixed gear is the pinnacle of gayness. It's what happens when you take your hipster-fag cred so seriously that you are willing to risk life and serious injury for it.

Well yeah, single speed is cool, but fixed gear is the pinnacle of gayness. It's what happens when you take your hipster-fag cred so seriously that you are willing to risk life and serious injury for it.

Or you just want to try out something new, and it's a lot cheaper than a full road bike. Fixed gear doesn't always mean breakless.

Guest Wall Bird

Fixed gear is fun, comfortable, and not nearly as hard as it may seem. I don't see what all of the racket is about. I do think it's foolish to rely on skid-stops to pull your ass out of trouble when it happens so I keep my handbrake attached for such a situation. With that being said, what does being a hipster have to do with riding fixed gear? Come to think of it, I dont know any hipsters. I only know honest people who do as they please regardless of what prejudiced dealers of stereotype may do to make them feel guilty of irrelevant coincidence.

The thought of biking in San Francisco frightens me:

san_francisco_53_russian_hill.jpg

Good luck, Colin.

Guest Al Hounos

Fixed gear is fun, comfortable, and not nearly as hard as it may seem. I don't see what all of the racket is about. I do think it's foolish to rely on skid-stops to pull your ass out of trouble when it happens so I keep my handbrake attached for such a situation. With that being said, what does being a hipster have to do with riding fixed gear? Come to think of it, I dont know any hipsters. I only know honest people who do as they please regardless of what prejudiced dealers of stereotype may do to make them feel guilty of irrelevant coincidence.

By hipster I mean bicycle snobs. They're a cult unto themselves. They're the ones that ride fixies with no brakes.

Even with a brake, it seems pretty silly. Isn't it annoying not being able to haul ass down a hill? There's no way a fixie could keep up with a freewheel on anything more than the gentlest slope. But I guess it makes it a little safer for the idiots who don't run brakes. What about just being able to coast while turning so you dont tripod your pedal on the ground? How would you hop curbs without having you cranks level? More than all that, it's nice to just sit back and coast.

To each his own I guess, but I'll have way more fun on a single speed.

What about just being able to coast while turning so you dont tripod your pedal on the ground? How would you hop curbs without having you cranks level?

Wow, these are two good points that never would have occurred to me! Especially the lack of curb-hopping ability.. you really need to be able to do this in the city & there's no way it would work if you had to be pedaling whilst trying to get up the curb!

yeah it is steel. a lot of custom builders still do lugged frames but Fuji has a new road bike that's lugged steel.

Connoisseur.jpg

how are you doing man?

I'm great; been riding my bike a lot since I moved to a different part of the city (still in Austin). I barely use my car at all anymore, which is awesome! It's still nice to have for lugging dj equipment around town & such, but it's a real luxury to not have to use it every day. How are you doing Z?

that Fuji frame is sweet btw. I have an old Fuji that I ride (steel), but it's not nearly as clean looking as that one, and there's no lugs :(

By hipster I mean bicycle snobs. They're a cult unto themselves. They're the ones that ride fixies with no brakes.

Even with a brake, it seems pretty silly. Isn't it annoying not being able to haul ass down a hill? There's no way a fixie could keep up with a freewheel on anything more than the gentlest slope. But I guess it makes it a little safer for the idiots who don't run brakes. What about just being able to coast while turning so you dont tripod your pedal on the ground? How would you hop curbs without having you cranks level? More than all that, it's nice to just sit back and coast.

To each his own I guess, but I'll have way more fun on a single speed.

I completely understand what you mean when you say bicycle snobs. Shit like putting HED-3's on for city riding is just goofy and a very expensive accident waiting to happen. But I'm not willing to give up something I enjoy simply because idiots spend way too much money on things because they look really cool (examples one, two, and three . I cannot tell you how many accidents I've heard of were someone buys a brand new Pista or something and goes flying into a parked car because they didn't bother learning how to ride properly. And riding SF is great, you just need a good chainring.

Guest DaveMike

i used to bike alot, then my bike got stolen. so i saved up some money and got a new better bike and then it got stolen too, right from me in an alley. so fuck that shit

now i have an old norco freestyle bmx that we found in an alley, it works fanfuckingsuper

coaster breaks are the shit

I'd probably have to take a nap after climbing that shit!

On a related note, my ex-roommate and I used to go cycling on the weekend all the time, typically riding 30-50 miles at a stretch. On one venture through hilly West Austin, we decided to take a "shortcut" that turned out to be insanely steep. On the way up this hill in my lowest gear (I have a triple chainring, aka a granny gear) I quickly decided I was done & started walking up. After a few steps I realised that I couldn't even walk up this fucking hill and had to lie down in someone's front lawn for ten minutes! I was seriously tapped out that day.. I had zero left in the tank. Of course, we were still about 15 miles from home... the longest 15 miles of my life! There were lots of rest breaks on the way back, but it was still insanely difficult. I don't think I've ever been as exhausted as I was that day!

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle

I want to ride my bike

I want to ride it where I like

You say black I say white

You say bark I say bite

You say shark I say hey man

Jaws was never my scene

And I don't like Star Wars

You say Rolls I say Royce

You say God give me a choice

You say Lord I say Christ

I don't believe in Peter Pan

Frankenstein or Superman

All I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bike

I want to ride my

Bicycle races are coming your way

So forget all your duties oh yeah

Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today

So look out for those beauties oh yeah

On your marks get set go

Bicycle race bicycle race bicycle race

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle bicycle

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

Bicycle race

You say coke I say caine

You say John I say Wayne

Hot dog I say cool it man

I don't wanna be the President of America

You say smile I say cheese

Cartier I say please

Income tax I say Jesus

I don't wanna be a candidate for

Vietnam or Watergate

Cause all I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bike

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bike

You say black I say white

You say bark I say bite

You say shark I say hey man

Jaws was never my scene

And I don't like Star Wars

You say Rolls I say Royce

You say God give me a choice

You say Lord I say Christ

I don't believe in Peter Pan

Frankenstein or Superman

All I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bike

I want to ride my

Bicycle races are coming your way

So forget all your duties oh yeah

Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today

So look out for those beauties oh yeah

On your marks get set go

Bicycle race bicycle race bicycle race

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle bicycle

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

Bicycle race

You say coke I say caine

You say John I say Wayne

Hot dog I say cool it man

I don't wanna be the President of America

You say smile I say cheese

Cartier I say please

Income tax I say Jesus

I don't wanna be a candidate for

Vietnam or Watergate

Cause all I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bike

Thank you, YEK, I wondered when this would happen.  I need a new bike.  I have a mountain bike, but I live miles from mountains.  I was thinking about getting a cheap cruiser bike.

Archived