IGNORED

UK Crew - Are any of these schools any good?

Guest Panoptimist

The only one on there I have any idea about is Central Lancashire. Its based in Preston [rubbish city] and I remember applying for it years ago as a safety and the grade boundries you needed to get in were very low, which usually means its shit.

My housemates girlfriend goes to Central Lancashire and she loves it there. Oddly enough my other housemate went there and dropped out before christmas but also enjoyed the place. You're in fairly close proximity to Manchester & Liverpool too which is great. No idea about the courses though, and the one time I rolled into Preston I thought it looked a shithole

Guest Panoptimist

Yeah, I'm not trying to attend a shithole school in a shithole place. And my GPA at this point is good enough that I'm not gonna settle for some "Backup" school...I figure it would be some shit like this.

What are the better schools I want to look for?

the only ones I would consider are Plymouth and Chester just coz there might actually be something to do round there on a Friday night. Plymouth is also convenient for Rephlex nights at the Sandsifter bar.

chester is a cool little town, direct train to liverpool and it does have its own semblance of a nightlife. its great in the day. couldnt possibly comment on its actual educational merit.

None of those places have particularly great educational reputations, if book-learnin's what you're after. Apart from Napier, as Mosca says. They're probably not terrible, but neither are they great. Just a bunch of provincial degreesheds turnin out unemployable Media Studies graduates.

Plymouth : I was there in the 90s. depends on the course, but there is a lot of stuff to do. more wet and windy than much of the UK, but sunnier towards summer. huge student population. good accompdation. well-funded campus.

locals a little backwards, perhaps.

what course?

Guest Dirty Protest

Ulsters good if you like sea side towns, scenery, houses of the holy rocks and heavy drinking. But the social life is all student based and your about an hour drive from Belfast, which in the last 5 years seem to have a lot of good things happening, making up for lost time I guess.

Guest Panoptimist

If it makes a difference I am an English major with a minor in Philosophy/Journalism, though I might drop journalism and try to pick up something else.

Recommendations for schools besides the ones listed?

I know there are some great academic programs in the fields I've mentioned. I also do want to be able to catch as many shows as I possibly can as there is no musical outlet for that where I am in the states.

You'd be better off sticking with the big cities if you're looking for a music scene i.e. London, Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, Edinburgh. You'll also find some of the best universities in those cities e.g. (in order as listed): UCL, Manchester Uni, Birmingham Uni (slipped a bit in the last few years), Trinity, St Andrews.

I went to Warwick and can whole-heartedly recommend it, although Coventry is a shit hole. It's got a good reputation for Creative Writing, I know that much.

All the ones you listed are rubbish from an academic perspective, but I guess it depends on what results you're gonna get.

Guest Dirty Protest

If you can get somewhere in London for the obvious reason. Manchester/Salford would be good aswell, its right between Leeds and Liverpool, so theres usually something going on in one of the cities. A good uni to study English is purely down to you being accepted, so it would be daft to give you a list of those.

yeah those all suck, if you find yourself in university of ulster something has gone very very wrong although you'd definitely be the only american they've ever had.

It would be stating the obvious to say "cambridge is good for english" but it is so i have.

In london theres a few gooduns, Kings and Imperial being the best probably.

and bristol, manchester, glasgow, edinburgh.

Generally small town= shit uni

Archived