IGNORED

Watchmen

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Caustic
.... not much backstory to Silk Spectre....

she has tits, she does not need a backstory

she's "the woman".

there's your backstory.

Guest Mr Salads

Question, what's groundbreaking about Watchmen anymore? It was groundbreaking at the time. People have since caught on the example and used it to probably better effect.

Question, what's groundbreaking about Watchmen anymore?

that question doesn't make much logical sense, once ground is already broken when a piece of art music or literature i dont see how that particular piece can continue to break ground as if its some sort of conscious biological entity.

and i would argue that any modern thing that pulls or borrows heavily from Watchmen has watered it down significantly (Heroes, The incredibles) to say that things influenced by it are 'more groundbreaking' is absurd

Guest Mirezzi
Mirezzi talking about film on the internet:

that_goddamn_sun.gif

That last panel kills me.

That cartoon is the funniest thing ever. I am constantly adjusting my blinds to make my screen crystal clear while maintaining at least *some* ambient light.

Also, I'm suddenly quite interested in seeing The Watchmen.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but anyone arguing that Watchmen the graphic novel is overrated is missing the point. It's certainly a bit dated now, but both it and Miller's Dark Night were just stunning when they first came out. There was no precedent for that sort of deconstruction of superheros, in light of the Cold War and the 80's socio-political climate. Now after a spate of similarly-themed movies, in the post 9-11 world, it's impossible for it to retain the bite it once had.

Guest Mr Salads
Haven't seen the movie yet, but anyone arguing that Watchmen the graphic novel is overrated is missing the point. It's certainly a bit dated now, but both it and Miller's Dark Night were just stunning when they first came out. There was no precedent for that sort of deconstruction of superheros, in light of the Cold War and the 80's socio-political climate. Now after a spate of similarly-themed movies, in the post 9-11 world, it's impossible for it to retain the bite it once had.

I think if someone faithfully adapted Dark knight it would have more bite than what we got so far

I think if someone faithfully adapted Dark knight it would have more bite than what we got so far

absolutely. I find Nolan to be a very mediocre, and worse an unusually boring, director. Memento was good, and I really liked elements of The Prestige, but his Batman movies have been pretty lame.

Just saw the movie in IMAX format. If Snyder wanted such an adaptation (without any difference to the novel), he should have stick the 30 minutes missing he cut to the movie. Too much time spent on sloooow mooootiiiiooonnnn shots, especially the 20fps as 24fps ones who are everywhere in the movie. Everything else was fine. Any movie with 3-4 Bob Dylan references, and about 10 minutes of Philip Glass score is good to me :)

Guest Mr Salads
Just saw the movie in IMAX format. If Snyder wanted such an adaptation (without any difference to the novel), he should have stick the 30 minutes missing he cut to the movie. Too much time spent on sloooow mooootiiiiooonnnn shots, especially the 20fps as 24fps ones who are everywhere in the movie. Everything else was fine. Any movie with 3-4 Bob Dylan references, and about 10 minutes of Philip Glass score is good to me :)

Yeah the philip glass Im looking forward to.

It's the best part of the movie imho (and the best music in it too!).

Guest Mr Salads

It's the best part of the movie imho (and the best music in it too!).

Youre not just saying that cause you made the music are you

Just got back from it. I'm not really familiar with the comic books at all, but judged solely as a work of film, it's a fantastic one. Snyder gets credit in my book for making something with the stylistic flair of 300 (which I enjoyed), but with some weighty character driven drama to go with it (which 300 lacked almost entirely). Granted, I'm sure this can all be attributed to the quality of the source material. I'm actually curious in reading it now just to see what about the ending was different, since I thought the film's ending was quite good.

Soundtrack choices were stellar. Slow motion didn't bother me once.

Guest beatfanatic

hmm just got back from seeing it and I might be alone here but I thought the track selections didnt suit the movie. I am not familiar with Philip glass music and I found the score to be pretty good. I had problems with the music that included vocals tracks , specially All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix. It made sense i guess because it talks about "two riders approaching" and everything but imho , it didnt go well with the scene. Also, the hallelujah song was a bit awkward..

Archived