IGNORED

Watchmen

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VERY LONG(2hrs 41 minutes - edited down from 5 or 6 hours apparently... Directors cut DVD?) hmmm

anyway, sexy, bloody, fierce, dark, beautifully shot, brilliantly acted, exquisitely choreographed,

I give thumbs up.

Not a "fanboy". Read and really enjoyed the graphic novel back in the day. Glad they made a movie of it and how it turned out.

MTC

that review in the new yorker made me lol though:

You want to hear Moore’s attempt at urban jeremiad? “This awful city, it screams like an abattoir full of retarded children.” That line from the book may be meant as a punky retread of James Ellroy, but it sounds to me like a writer trying much, much too hard; either way, it makes it directly into the movie, as one of Rorschach’s voice-overs. (And still the adaptation won’t be slavish enough for some.) Amid these pompous grabs at horror, neither author nor director has much grasp of what genuine, unhyped suffering might be like, or what pity should attend it; they are too busy fussing over the fate of the human race—a sure sign of metaphysical vulgarity—to be bothered with lesser plights. In the end, with a gaping pit where New York used to be, most of the surviving Watchmen agree that the loss of the Eastern Seaboard was a small price to pay for global peace.

alanis morisette: jot that down...

Guest Wall Bird

I'd just like to point out, as someone who's read the novel 3 times, that the line “This awful city, it screams like an abattoir full of retarded children.” does not appear anywhere in it. It must be a creation of one of the screenwriters. And as we may all know, Alan wants nothing to do with the movie.

i haven't seen watchmen or even care about it that much, but this thread has got to be the most annoying, juvenile and pointless pile of shit I've read on watmm in fucking years. mirezzi, you sound like an utter cunt. zaphod, you ain't much better and come across like your mirezzi's scat slave.

fucking idiots trying to be "controversial".

fuck off and die.

seems to me youve simply trained yourself to pick out every single flaw in a movie to the point where you simply cant enjoy them any more.

or look at it this way, you consider yourself a movie buff, but if you hate most of the movies you see while everyone else enjoys them, who actually enjoys being a film fan more?

I saw it last night as well. I enjoyed it overall. I thought the cast did a great job. My only gripes are that they took out a lot of backstory for some of the characters. It seemed like a lot of the subtle nuances to the story were missing. They don't explain where Rorschach got his mask; not much backstory to Silk Spectre; they show the street vendor guy briefly but he doesn't have a single line, despite having a ton of dialogue in the book; they don't bother explaining the man in Silk Spectre's memory who's arguing with her mom; and they didn't get into Dr. Manhattan's impact on technology much (to name a few things). I realize they can't cram that much stuff into a mainstream movie and expect it to do well. I already think that it is a lot to ingest for the average uninitiated moviegoer. However, I felt like, once again, Snyder just went all slo-mo-tastic on just about every scene and it just wasn't necessary. You can't attempt to create weight in every scene with the same techniques (slo motion and emotional music) and expect me to buy into it every time.

That said, I thought it looked great, was well acted, and got enough of the story and themes from the book into it to be a pretty satisfying experience.

Guest assegai

Would I enjoy it even though I've never heard about it before seeing the movie's trailer? I do enjoy slow-motion things.

Would I enjoy it even though I've never heard about it before seeing the movie's trailer? I do enjoy slow-motion things.

Most likely. There's plenty of violence as well, if you are into that sort of thing.

The more I see this, the more I feel that the extended cut will be the best way to view this movie. The technology advancement from Dr. Manhattan is crucial into understanding the reason why everything in the GN happens. Hopefully there won't be a "triple-dip" DVD version and the real version is out before Christmas.

Hopefully there won't be a "triple-dip" DVD version and the real version is out before Christmas.

Yeah, this kind of thing pisses me off too. They will probably rush a stripped down version to the shelves then have a nice one out in time for Christmas.

Yeah well the rumors are of a barebone version at the end of summer, a "Director's Cut" for Christmas... but the real final fucking version with the animated stuff incorporated into it, will be out in 2010 only.

Yeah well the rumors are of a barebone version at the end of summer, a "Director's Cut" for Christmas... but the real final fucking version with the animated stuff incorporated into it, will be out in 2010 only.

I guess these things take time?

should i read it before i see it or does it not really matter?

It helps because it is a lot of plot to digest in 2 hours and 40 minutes, but it hurts because then you realize what is missing in the movie.

Guest Mr Salads
i haven't seen watchmen or even care about it that much, but this thread has got to be the most annoying, juvenile and pointless pile of shit I've read on watmm in fucking years. mirezzi, you sound like an utter cunt. zaphod, you ain't much better and come across like your mirezzi's scat slave.

fucking idiots trying to be "controversial".

fuck off and die.

Just dont walk around watmm alone. Or we will gang rape you with our film criticism.

Archived