IGNORED

Let The Right One In

J3FF3R00

Guest telikan

also i thought about this video for at least half the film:

I'm psyched to watch The Devil's Backbone for the first time in a while after this too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mr Salads
It could be that the movies were amazing, but who knows. Living is a subjective experience which i am incapable of understanding thoroughly because my actions depend on my memories. You know?

Nope. I'd have your teeth looked at.

That being said, I regret that I rented the godforsaken Quantum of Solace instead of Twilight. At least I can see post-teen pretending to be teen ass in that one.

I saw that in theaters. Holy shit I wish I snuck in a few beers to that one..

Guest Al Hounos
I'm psyched to watch The Devil's Backbone for the first time in a while after this too.

such a good movie

Yeah I loved this movie but I also loved Twilight, so.

hmmm...

this makes me think that I am not so alone in my opinions but just on the wrong messageboard...

'LTROI' is visually pleasing but the story was either too Swedish or just too bland for me to enjoy...

But I haven't seen 'Twilight'....

My mom liked it...

'LTROI' is visually pleasing but the story was either too Swedish or just too bland for me to enjoy...

perhaps they will cast nicolas cage in the remake, that might be more your speed

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse
I can't shake the feeling there's some kind of a running gag going on about LTROI and I'm the only one who doesn't know about it

Nein, mein Freund. You can trust me. It's really a thing of beauty. The casting is some of the best I've ever seen in a movie and it's stunningly shot. Hit your local kino and give it a go, you won't be disappointed. Or hell, you might be, but there's no joke.

the casting and directing really made the movie for sure, classic.

Another thing that proves to me how much more important execution in art is over crazy plot ideas and shit.

I can't shake the feeling there's some kind of a running gag going on about LTROI and I'm the only one who doesn't know about it

Nein, mein Freund. You can trust me. It's really a thing of beauty. The casting is some of the best I've ever seen in a movie and it's stunningly shot. Hit your local kino and give it a go, you won't be disappointed. Or hell, you might be, but there's no joke.

I saw it in cinema about a week before people on here started mentioning it and I think it's a hopeless piece of wank, that's why I said I thought there was a joke going on. :wink2:

Seriously though, I intensely dislike it. The story might be tolerable if it was a film for kids, but for a film that's taking itself dead serious like this one it's just...I don't know... it throws in a couple of splatter-bits that don't make much sense and don't even look good enough or are generally introduced too randomly to be shocking or anything, and I don't get why everyone's thinking it's so beautiful either. It must be due to the cameras they were using, it was shot using analog film cameras only, and they sure had some nice lens business going on there, lots of blur and so on, that's always pretty, don't get me wrong, BUT that doesn't automatically make up for a good camera work imo. I can glue some billion dollar camera equipment to the back of a yak and throw some rocks at it, but that doesn't mean the results are going to come out good - they might, but there's no guarantee. The actual camera-work of LTROI was pretty average, sometimes even annoying cause you could tell they were aiming for a whole lot more but didn't succeed. I had high hopes in the beginning, but eventually gave up on it. There were about four shots in the film that had a good and working composition, at least to my eye, and fancy depth of field can't make up for that. You can create impressive looking stuff using a shitty camcorder, but also the other way round. So many times it felt like they wanted to emulate the look you find e.g. in many of Michael Haneke's (Funny Games) films, meaning very steady, minimalistic shots, often of long duration, hence creating the feel of realism. After all, one could argue that realism is kind of expendable when you're making a film about kid-vampires, stealing bits from all over the place and generally follow a completely pointless plot. I'm not one for saying every film needs to have a moral in order to be good, but it should at least be clear about what it wants to be. Does LTROI have a moral, a meaning, anything? Fight violence with more violence, rip some heads off, problems solved, I don't know? Boy's getting bullied, so he calls his stronger undead friend to kill the bullies... it's not exactly a contructive message, nor is it really entertaining...easy for the film-makers though - Let them hit Oscar with a stick, use the James Ryan © loss-of-senses tinnitus-noise to underline the intensity, (optional: introduce random older pedo-brother towards the end who blindly participates in torturing a boy about half his age), there you go, you've created yourself a justification to kill them all off.... and who could blame the producing team, it sure is tempting to use a formula that's widely accepted amongst the audiences, but actually that's where one should stop and think, am I still creating something meaningful here, or am I just feeding the masses what they already know? But regardless of all my hate, it's just such a forgettable stupid little film, which is why it's bothering me so much that people who are often discussing and recommending each other real good films fall for this lazy stub, I don't get it :mellow:

luckily i saw this in the theatre, but for those who only have the american/english DVD release check this out

original subs

032409-003-ltroioriginalsubs.jpg

subs for american DVD

032409-003-ltroinewsubs.jpg

'dumbed down subtitles in let the right one in'

This movies looks great, eagerly awaiting it via netflix...

see my above post, you might want to wait until they re release it with proper subtitles as they claim they plan to due to so many complaints

I saw both and totally noticed that, after watching the video. I kept telling my girlfriend what I remembered the theatrical translations to be as we watched the video.

Worst one..

theatrical -> 080128_1131-18.jpg

us video -> Let_The_Right_One_In-16.jpg

What is worst about this one was that he audibly says "Eli".

btw

I'm now in the 1000 club. Word.

Guest Mr Salads
I've thought about the linguistic problems that come up with world movies...If we laugh at "all your base are belong to us" or "do not want", the same is probably coming our way when we watch Asian films translated to English and we wouldn't even know it. A movie like Fight Club depends very heavily on lexical accuracy. Tyler's voice overs about culture, feeling like a gazelle in the wild, etc. demand good subtitles. At first, I was sweating it that I hadn't had the full LTROI experience but then that movie was so minimal in its dialog and Swedish shares the same roots with English--I'm not convinced that too much loss happens between the two subtitle sets.

Yeah i dont remember any lines of dialogue from the theatrical version. I just remember the visuals and the intense story. All that matters.

It seems like a lot of people has missed out on certain plotlines, perhaps lost in translation? The selling point is obviously the mentality of the characters and their relationship together.

this movie sucked balls

sPoLiErZ GuYz

there are a lot of reasons why i liked it, but maybe we just like different kinds of movies. i think the technical side of it is really impressive - great acting, great writing, beautiful shots, good pace, etc. but what we probably disagree on is the kind of story it is - it's a slow portrait of a few lives, love, death, coming of age, small town life. i really love stories with conflicting ideas on morality, whereas you seem to think this is retarded.

the main characters are hardly sympathetic, given what we know about them. but i thought their feelings for each other were deeply affecting and touching. and in the end, it still managed to be a commentary on their flaws - what can oskar become but another magnus? and eli will always be alone. it's this conflict that draws me in. you could say they are doomed to lives of unfulfilled longing and sorrow, but their young love is sharp and dark and gorgeous. in that moment, nothing matters . . and the filmmakers managed to give it a beautiful balance, sympathetic but not blind.

this has been my favorite movie i've seen recently . . don't take it personally that i felt moved to crap out a bunch of stuff in response. i guess i'm hoping i can get you to see it again and enjoy it.

Archived