IGNORED

last fm

cichlisuite

Guest blicero

chill out people. if cpoyright law in these countries wasn't so shit, you wouldn't have to pay.

Last.fm is NOT past it.

Guest inteeliguntdesign
you guys think we can do anything about this? is there a discussion going on about this somewhere? i think this is going to be the end of last.fm and i don't want that...

create an alternative or support someone who might. i'm not really optimistic about changing these sites, especially last.fm after it got bought out by whatever huge corp bought it. the chances of them doing something not in line with the largely defunct copyright laws or something the riaa or similiar dislikes are slim.

one of the people here could easily create something equal to or better than last.fm with the wealth of artists here. of course you wouldn't be able to listen to prince or whatever, because of copyright..., but i doubt any creation would really focus on mainstream artists. anything that purposely does not employ copyright laws, which only seek to deminish free distribution, a key component to the spead of music on the net, would mostly likely succeed.

in fact, if you could combine a social environment with easy distribution of music, constantly being created by the site members, i doubt too many people would miss listening to the copyright-encumbered artists they normally listen to, especially if the site developed momentum and started to grow and learn.

myspace has kind of done this, but there's no real cross-artist learning and influence, and there's no real social momentum other than people placing their creations on their page and waiting for feedback - that i've seen at any rate. i suppose what i'm talking about is the musical social movements that have arised in the past - like in manchester or liverpool or in london's carnaby street. this site is ideally placed for that kind of close-knit evolution and cross-learning. it's got the perfect fucking name as well.

Guest futuregirlfriend
you guys think we can do anything about this? is there a discussion going on about this somewhere? i think this is going to be the end of last.fm and i don't want that...

Just look out for spotify invites. I don't have any at the moment unfortunately. You can even scrobble what you play with it if you're into that.

by the way, does anybody maybe remember the site i started years ago, i called it "dontlisten" and it kinda kicked off, but then my disk crashed :D

i'm having a real hard time deciding whether to delete the account, delete all the stats, or just stop scrobbling... it's really painful to even think about deleting all my stats... but on the other hand, it feels kinda liberating the way i've been listening to music for the last 2 days - no scrobbling, no thinking about what will show up (skipping tracks, etc)...

i guess total account deletion is the best move for me :(

... and to think what we all contributed there... (by submitting our listening data) ... just to get fucked over.

Guest Rogueofmv

Haha fags, I'm American, so I'm unaffected. AHAHAHAHAHAHA i mean oh that sucks for our european friends

No srsly, I'm outraged. Fucking corporate gouging.

Guest blicero

so why does everyone got their panties in a bunch? I thought they weren't charging in the UK, US, or Germany.

Are you that bothered that some bad-ass free music service is going to be charging 3 euros to users outside of US, UK, and Germany?

I'm not.

Guest tv_party

I thought it was pretty interesting and surprising seeing that some of the biggest rap listeners were in russia. this is going to skew the data when it's not free everywhere.

so why does everyone got their panties in a bunch? I thought they weren't charging in the UK, US, or Germany.

Are you that bothered that some bad-ass free music service is going to be charging 3 euros to users outside of US, UK, and Germany?

I'm not.

what the hell man, not everybody is from US/UK/DE... i'm not even bothered because i'd have to pay... i never used the last.fm radio... and i could easily afford 3eur/month.

but i'm just SO disappointed in what i used to think to be the best web service. i won't go into depths, i'll just say i'm really really disappointed.

Archived