IGNORED

The K Foundation

Dragon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_K_Foundat..._a_million_quid

K Foundation Burn a Million Quid was an action that took place on 23 August 1994, in which the K Foundation (an art duo consisting of Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty) burnt one million pounds sterling in cash ($2 million approx.) on the Scottish island of Jura. This money represented the bulk of the K Foundation's funds, earned by Drummond and Cauty as The KLF, one of the United Kingdom's most successful pop groups of the early 1990s. The duo have never fully explained their motivations for the burning.

In November 1995, the duo pledged to dissolve the K Foundation and to refrain from public discussion of the burning for a period of 23 years. Despite this Drummond has spoken about the burning in 2000 and 2004. At first he was unrepentant but in 2004, he admitted to the BBC that he regretted burning the money.

Guest Gary C

What a bunch of genuine retards.

I really enjoyed watching the hairy ones face drop as they were shot-down by the media at their big premiere.

But the arse-lickery and marketing/media-shittery has left me with an anger in my gut. Fuck art. What a load of bollocks, for twats.

thanks for posting. hadn't seen the docu yet. i like their first concept better, the 'painting'; money nailed to a canvas. the money-nailed-to-canvas piece would have had more lasting power. but of course, no gallery would go through the difficulties of displaying a piece like that - or even having it in their collection. there's to many risks involved. and to an extent that's the whole point, i guess. we're just a bunch of monkeys going apeshit over painted paper.

i would have expected that in the current credit crisis and 'money' having evaporated like snow in the sun, people would have less difficulty with the concept of burning paper value. it's not much different than drinking a million pound wine - from a value point of view. conceptually, burning the paper is a much stronger statement though.

Guest Grizz
This is on par with the time my friend started flushing $5 bills down the toilet when we were tripping on acid.

Did he go through a million?

Thanks for the video, I've been meaning to watch it for ages. It's such an interesting watch, especially towards the end when it slowly seems to dawn on them that they've got completely over their heads when it came to the whole 'art' side of the concept. You can really sense their trouble when talking to that guy on part 4 when they're thinking of how to make some money from the whole project, and come up with the brick idea. The way that the guy is completely ridiculing the idea and saying just leave it as it is, the KLF then saying OK maybe we don't sell it, and him coming back with 'Well it's yours you do what you want with it, you're obviously too scared to show it to the art world', and ol' Drummond's replying in the most sheeping way: "Scared ?" (sorry, that was quite possibly the poorest constructed sentence ever)

Archived