IGNORED

frank zappa thread #(n+1)

kaini

Guest Wall Bird
Crazy, as I just finished the biography, "Zappa"...by Barry Miles...

:-)

what did you think of it i heard it wasn't spectacular

I thought it was pretty good. As Madness mentions it was pretty critical and didn't hide the fact that he could be an asshole in some ways. I thought his autobiography didn't fill in enough of what I really wanted to know about him, but Barry Miles' was very thorough and spanned his entire life pretty evenly, I thought. I must say, though, there is something to be said about a learning about someone through a book they've written about themselves.

Edited by Wall Bird

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
I love zappa, but doesn't have a candle on beefheart. I've always thought the aphex/ae relationship is similar to Zappa/Beefheart.

ACTUALLY more like zappa/beefheart, ae/boc. Beefheart eventually incomparable Bongo Fury does not count.

also, which version of Billy the Mountain? Playground Psychotics version obviously, right?

Caught the Dweezil does dada tour, was actually pretty damn good. was using his gibson. Worth checking out.

Guest melotronic

true story, one of my housemates at the moment is related to frank zappa. her second name is zappa, it's funny to us bunch of stoners

Guest Wall Bird
can someone recommend to me a list of instrumental albums or songs by Zappa?

ou have chosen to ign

Albums:

Jazz From Hell

The Yellow Shark

These are his last few works, which are for Synclavier and Orchestra, respectively.

Also, get the album 'Roxy and Elsewhere' because it contains three of Zappa's most incredible instrumental pieces; 'Echidna's Arf of You', 'Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?', and, of course, 'The Bebop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)'. (God, I am such a sucker for that track.)

ou have chosen to ign

Albums:

Jazz From Hell

The Yellow Shark

These are his last few works, which are for Synclavier and Orchestra, respectively.

Also, get the album 'Roxy and Elsewhere' because it contains three of Zappa's most incredible instrumental pieces; 'Echidna's Arf of You', 'Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?', and, of course, 'The Bebop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen's Church)'. (God, I am such a sucker for that track.)

thank you :beer: i had jazz from hell years ago but lost my copy, and i've been meaning to check out his rock instrumentals

dude, hot fucking rats

(with the exception of willie the pimp, which is beefheart therefore awesome)

Edited by kaini

ahaha the mixing on this is sweet!

it's almost like the zappa version of that 'LOVE' beatles thing

mixing? there's just a few edits and few basic crossfades to tidy things up. i was considering going more for the 'love' type thing but to be honest i just couldn't be bothered :wink:

indeed, there was mixing... at the start

nice mix though, lots of mothers stuff i hadn't heard in a long time

a band that could switch genres on a dime. almost a precursor to zorn's naked city or someshit in a way.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...
On 4/3/2009 at 7:29 PM, awepittance said:

not songs but solos...

• Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
  • Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More
  • Return of the Son of Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
  • Guitar 
  • Trance-Fusion
Edited by Tim_J