the rachels

guitar that is good...

stars of the lid

lots of kranky records really

constellation records, more specifically do make say think

seefeel as previously mentioned

fellow watmmer milieu and his ambient tunes

don't hate on radiohead's guitarist he's actually quite a creative cat

piglet? hella? lightning bolt? cheval de frise? lite?

ultre makes use of some interesting guitar recording

windy & carl use guitars

1 mile north

battles

sun O)))

bunch of neat noise acts

they're both nice instruments in the right hands

the weird thing is "idm" is my first love, i used to find myself listening to the rdj album with long hair thinking "i dare someone to ask me if i listen to metal" cause i wanted to snap back "NO I LISTEN TO SHITASS GREAT ELECTRONIC GODS POUNDING OUT MUSICS WITH THEIR COCKS" and then one day i enjoyed metal, wtf.

chax i think you lose all credibility once you align your taste exclusively according to what RDJ says. I am not a huge fan of the Piano but i wouldn't say i hate it. Saying guitar music sucks is just ridiculous.

i'm not 'aligning my taste with what rdj says' i just don't generally like rock music and people are flipping out over it even though a ton of people don't including rdj. i could care less about what others think though, everyone has a different opinion. i only listen to idm mainly, growing up i always listened to electronic music, couldnt stand anything metal/rock/overly guitar based. if that makes me a freak then whatever

i don't think piano lends itself well to avant garde music. really atonal piano music sucks, usually, whereas with other instruments that sort of thing works more often.

different folks, different strokes, any music apart from contempory piano sounds bland and pathetic in comparison in my opinion.

i listen to messiaen and cant possibly understand how someone can write such intensely beautiful music. it changes me.

the piano is the most suited to avant garde music i think, it has a range of volume and attack far greater than most other instruments and thats before you even get to extended technique (listen to some george crumb if you want to hear the inside of the piano used properly)

wouldn't really call messiaen contemporary, yeah i know he died relatively recently but i think he's probably been assigned to 20th century greats category at this point, especially considering how often his music is played, check out george benjamin and tristan murail if you want to see two contrasting examples of his direct influence.

well fair enough if its not strictly contemporary, but it is atonal. il definetely check these dudes out. i could do with some reccomendations from you actually jim, as far as atonal shit goes i havent really gone much further than bartok, ligetti, messiaen, schoenburg, schnittke and ives.

Guest melotronic
BT's "This Binary Universe"...

Guitar makes everything better.

this is a really good example of somewhere where pianos and guitars etc really make the difference in the sound. doesn't rely on it too heavily either

but yeah the first 2 or so pages of this thread was just an unbelievably sweeping generalisation. racists

well fair enough if its not strictly contemporary, but it is atonal. il definetely check these dudes out. i could do with some reccomendations from you actually jim, as far as atonal shit goes i havent really gone much further than bartok, ligetti, messiaen, schoenburg, schnittke and ives.

yeah do, i'm sure you'll enjoy. Well they're all great staples of contemporary repertoire, some of my personal favourites which you might check out are:

webern (if you havn't already)

claude vivier (interesting character who had the most horrible death imaginable which is almost more famous than his music which is a shame cos it's awesome)

andre jolivet (contemporary of messiaen and a big influence on him, wrote a lot for ondes martenot too, mana is a great piano piece of his)

gyorgy kurtag (friend and contemporary of ligeti and in my humble opinion possibly the greatest living musician, sort of a synthesis of bartok and webern, very condensed music)

matthias pintscher (student of hans werner henze and also very respected by lachenmann which is an achievement cos those two hate each other)

luigi nono (just fantastic, married schoenberg's daughter but was great long before that)

michael tippett (not a natural composer but he wrote some superb piano music, all the sonatas- i think there are 4, possibly more, are worth listening to or learning)

salvatore sciarrino (very cool piano stuff although a lot of people dislike his borrowing from ravel)

henri dutilleux (still alive i think and very retro but a great composer nonetheless, sort of a stylistic continuation of ravel)

unsuk chin (my favourite lady composer, studied with ligeti, produces some amazing sounds with an orchestra as well as some irritatingly unpianistic piano etudes which i've played)

elliott carter (still going at 100, the greatest american talent to date i think)

oliver knussen, (equally known as the conductor of the london sinfonietta but a fantastic composer in his own right)

horatiu radulescu (just died in sept i think, a spectralist but much different from grisey and murail etc. uses a lot of plainchant and stuff- cinerum is especially worth getting your hands on)

gerald barry (he's basically the samuel beckett of contemporary music, has the marmite effect on a lot of people but i think he's terrific)

julian anderson (pupil of murails and the biggest hope for british music at the moment i think, very witty style)

those are all atonal in the very broadest sense because composers have become much less afraid of consonance after the serialist tyranny of boulez and the like, which is no bad thing. Anyway hope you like at least some of them

Guest fiznuthian

big props to whichever watmmer posted a herbert henck composition one day..

anyone who questions the piano should grab 'das buch der klange' ASAP.

fucking wow.

Guest fiznuthian
I'll bet he was listening to the shitty piano tracks on Drukqs and that inspired this thread. :sorcerer:

medieval_stocks.JPG

Archived