IGNORED

Painters

Guest jim

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

leonardo it's probably my favorite, altought i always find difficult to point a single favorite in this kind of situations.

madonna of the rocks is such a beautiful painting:

VirginRocks.jpg

i have spent hours just looking at the angel's face:

enews_Leonardo_da_Vinci_-_The_Virgin_of_the_Rocks__-_detail_of_angel.jpg

(only in a book with enough printed quality you can contemplate this painting and all its details)

The Annunciation is another perfect example of da vinci's attention to detail and composition:

leonardoannunciation.jpg

--

Francisco de Goya:

colossus-de-goya.jpg

(there has been quite controversial discussion about the author of this painting, but if it wasn't goya, it was definitely one of his apprentices)

time-goya-painting.gif

Goya2.jpg

i had the opportunity of seeing a lot of his paintings at the Museu Del Prado, in Madrid, and it was a wonderful experience.

--

my favorite from the neoclassicism era is Jacques Louis David:

david_horatii.jpg

The Hoath of Horatii

David%20-%20Napoleon%20Crossing%20the%20Alps.jpg

and Napoleon

--

Caspar_David_Friedrich_Wanderer_above_the_Sea_of_Fog.jpg

Caspar David Friedrich. the painting is Wanderer above the Sea of Fog

--

Edward Hopper, the painter of the sorrow and loneliness:

Edward_Hopper_Road_in_Maine.jpg

Nighthawks.jpg

--

Claude Monet:

Claude_Monet_011.jpg

claude_monet2c_impression2c_soleil_levant2c_18721.jpg

--

William Kentridge:

William-Kentridge-5-4-07.jpg

KENTRIDGE_MAIN.jpg

Kentridge1.jpg

kentridge.jpg

--

Elizabeth Leite. this woman was my teacher at high school. she has only one arm (since she was a little girl) but her paintings are brilliant and full of color:

1700_big.jpg

ng1160262.jpg

folias_bufoes_100x120.jpg

there are more but, for now it's enough.

Ruiagnelo: you filled in some of the blanks that I left out with Da Vinci and Goya

love this one

439px-The_Lady_with_an_Ermine.jpg

I have a lot of love for the renaissance painters, plus Da Vinci and Michelangelo's sketches and studies are fantastic.

Guest ruiagnelo

Ruiagnelo: you filled in some of the blanks that I left out with Da Vinci and Goya

love this one

439px-The_Lady_with_an_Ermine.jpg

I have a lot of love for the renaissance painters, plus Da Vinci and Michelangelo's sketches and studies are fantastic.

yea mate that one is incredible as well. and you actually found an image that is faithfull to the original painting and has good definition.

the renaissance was such an exciting period for the arts in general, but specifically for painting.

and Leonardo Da Vinci was such a genius.

you know, the other day i was contemplating some books i have about his work and i thought to myself: he could have done so much when it comes to drawing and painting.

because what he really loved was the world of science, mechanics, physics, biology, anatomy, weapon invention, etc. he spent way much more time thinking about the physical world and nature, and developing his inventions than working on the arts, that i think he painted almost to get the kingship's attention and money to live.

not that i am underestimating this talent for the pictoric arts, no. he is for me one of the greatest painters ever, but i find this very interesting to think about.

• 6 months later...
Guest viscosity

warning some of these are huge

Lucian Freud

lucien-freud.jpg

Jenny Saville

105840.jpg

Lisa Yuskavage

Lisa_Yuskavage.jpg

Alex Katz

amanda.jpg

Cecily Brown

141_Cecily-Brown-at-the-608638.jpg

Storm Tharpe

Storm-Tharp-The-Ex-King.jpg

Jennifer Poon

Jennifer-Poon-Cones.jpg

Frank Auerbach

img006head-of-g-boehm-auerbach.jpg

Hyman Bloom

brisk-530133-03_1.jpg

John Currin

318105currin551.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1268929940529

Juston Bower

IMG_2322.jpg

Francis Bacon

three_studies_for_a_crucifixion-_2.jpg

Eric Fischl

2051A.jpg

Cynthia Westwood

cynthia-westwood.jpg

thought I'd share, Jenny Saville is especially awesome. enjoy

Guest Tapeghoul

Friedensreich_S_Hundertwasser_Blood_Garden_House.jpg

Hundertwasser

Hundertwasser-2.jpg

Charles Dellschau

7503200016yv3.jpg

(Recently) Fred Thomaselli

sol-lewitt-100views-2.jpg

Sol Lewitt

bullfight_b.jpg

Francis Bacon

To name a few...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Funktion

Gustave Moreau

thumbs_2537-gustave-moreau-phaethon.jpg?1277138387

Jean Leon Gerome

gerome88.jpg

John Charles Dollman

dollman3.jpg

Leonardo (warning: dont stare directly into eyes)

St-John-the-Baptist.jpg

Bryan Kent Ward

2006-7-20090603-105243-energy-is-the-only-life_500.jpg

Energy is the Only Life [oil on canvas]: The title is a partial quote taken from William Blake's Marriage of Heaven & Hell. At the moment of deaths release, does our energy transform into the universe, and thus we live eternally in the heavens?

20090603-105243-psyches-dawn_500.jpg

This Psyche's Dawn [watercolor on paper]: Here is another morning after piece, with the brew still working its way through my body. I let the subconscious come through with no specific meaning or interpretation

20090603-105129-divinity_500.jpg

Her Path to Divinity : Coming directly from a vision I had during an experience with ayahuasca. Sometimes these "visions" are as clear as a waking lucid dream; this was one of those times. I sensed the woman was the spirit of the vine, madre (mother) ayahuasca, bidding me to follow her into the jungle of the unknown in search of divine knowledge.

20090603-105129-entheogenic-b_500.jpg

Entheogenic Garden of Eden, No Fruit Forbidden: The Snake that Giveth Knowledge, Delight, Bright Glory, and Stirs the Hearts of Men. [oil on canvas]: I created this as a subversion of the Paradise Lost story. Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, partaking of the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge, the fruit being one of the many Enthogenic plants (ayahuasca, peyote, amanita, psilocybin mushrooms) represented in the painting. These plants share nature's wisdom of being one with the universe, in all of its possibilities, in our glory and failings, and the responsibility of free will in our lives and on the planet.

Martina Hoffman

muse-of-consciuos-awakening_500.jpg

Muse of Conscious Awakening

the_messenger_500.jpg

The Messenger

la-chacruna_500.jpg

La Chacruna

tranceformation1_500.jpg

Trance-formation

spirit-wind_500.jpg

Spirit-Wind

Robert Venosa

natoma_vision_500.jpg

Natoma Vision

ayahuasca_dream_500.jpg

Ayahuasca Dream

shroomglow_500.jpg

Shroom Glow

oothoons_palace_500.jpg

Oothoons Palace

dmtree_500.jpg

DMTree

hallucinogenic_tree_500.jpg

Hallucinogenic Tree

Edward Foster

4_l.jpg

Solitude [oil on canvas – 40x30 inches]: This is a painting of me alone with nature. Nature here is in the guise of a crow and I can see through its senses by the use of my third eye. My normal eyes are now blank and so I am set free from my conditioned reality.

9_l.jpg

Meeting [oil on canvas – 30x48 inches]: The painting ‘Meeting’ was an encounter filled with intense feeling. I was walking on the edge of a wood when glancing into it I saw two deer. One of the deer saw me and we stood facing each other for what seemed a blissful eternity, but was just a matter of seconds before they disappeared silently further into the trees. I have painted the two deer purple and yellow to show the calmness of the moment and given the central deer a halo to show its spiritual significance. Everyone has a spiritual animal; the deer is mine

6_l.jpg

The River of Life [oil on canvas – 60x36 inches]: This painting is based around the golden spiral shape (shown by the blue line) which is found in nature and is derived from Fibonacci numbers. Water to me symbolises the great surge of life. Fish are seen in the water as well as serpent like creatures that come from the abstract realm beneath.

5_l.jpg

Seeking Paradise [oil on canvas – 48x30 inches]: I am the figure in the bottom right hand corner. My eyes are closed and so my third eye seeks out a vision of my haven. I have come through a portal into this world of hummingbirds and flowers. The tree stands over another portal

3_l.jpg

We Are Nature [oil on canvas – 48x36 inches]: We are all connected, we are all Nature. The woman is pregnant and the new dawn holds her baby. DNA double helixes flow everywhere and the bird sings of it to the new life being born.

Pablo Amaringo

14830013_500.jpg

14830010_500.jpg

14830009_500.jpg

14830007_500.jpg

14830005_500.jpg

14830004_500.jpg

A few years of drawing portraits and you're there. Also some brush'n'ink training.

that sounds good I am trying. its oil right?

rothko, goya, munch, hopper, but the most IDM prize goes to Mondrian

I've never seen the draw to Rothko. I always thought he was crap for some reason. Goya and Mondrian are fantastic!

But then again, Malevich is my favorite painter. Known for such creative works like Black Square.

Here's my favorite though. "Airplane". There is something powerful about his works.

malevich-airplane-flying-suprematist-painting-1915.jpg

Edit: Oh yea, Klimt is good too. I like a lot of Dali as well. The spindle-legged elephants and the giraffes on fire are my favorite.

Archived