IGNORED

Alien film: District 9

Guest joshier

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there was a short he did called alive in joberg or somthing which i thought looked better or the aliens did anyways.

fuck me, i totally forgot about this. i never put together the fact that its the same director!

saw this last night. thought it missed the mark. thought the aimless jump from different points of view from office-style documentary to prawn POV to wherever else the director pleased was a bit incoherent and careless and really hurt the movie. thought the ultra violence was hilarious--was it supposed to be? acting was dubious. bad guys were so bad. how come one prawn seems like a really cool prawn and has a son while the rest are total douchebags, am i supposed to really feel sympathy for the population? i couldnt care less about the main guy crying over getting back to his wife. and please spare me the classic villain "i'm going to kill you" speech while he's got a gun pointed to the would-be victim's head while the audience waits five minutes for whatever miracle is going to save him. there were at least two of those instances. i wanted the main guy to die throughout the whole movie. the movie looked decent though. good action/special effects. i guess it's better than independence day.

Guest blicero

saw this last night. thought it missed the mark. thought the aimless jump from different points of view from office-style documentary to prawn POV to wherever else the director pleased was a bit incoherent and careless and really hurt the movie. thought the ultra violence was hilarious--was it supposed to be? acting was dubious. bad guys were so bad. how come one prawn seems like a really cool prawn and has a son while the rest are total douchebags, am i supposed to really feel sympathy for the population? i couldnt care less about the main guy crying over getting back to his wife. and please spare me the classic villain "i'm going to kill you" speech while he's got a gun pointed to the would-be victim's head while the audience waits five minutes for whatever miracle is going to save him. there were at least two of those instances. i wanted the main guy to die throughout the whole movie. the movie looked decent though. good action/special effects. i guess it's better than independence day.

wow. my thoughts exactly. i think it relied on too many cliches, and i despised the protaganist. i thought the fx were good, but very little innovation or ground-breaking in this film, if any. i look forward to playing the video game.

Think that the "really cool prawn" is actually supposed to be of a different class - know it's not explained directly, but they talk about the one's in the cargo hold being sort of like "worker bees" and, later, when they're pulling that one dood out of his cabin he's all like "this is in no way legal" and they're suprised at his intelligence. Also, since the ship that fell off the big-ass mothership was under his shack, think you're supposed to assume he's one of the "guardian" aliens, or what have you. . . also explains why his son is so smart.

Had a hard time feeling sympathy for the guy crying over his wife too - it was one area where I felt I was taken out of the film, though I was glad it turned out the second time that they were using the call to track him.

As for the ultra violence? Oh, yeah, I think you're supposed to sort of gasp/lol with an "holy FUCK did you see that?!" - I mean, I totally did the first time that he shoots that Nigerian the dude through the back of the shack - yeah, I think it's supposed to be hilarious.

[

As for the ultra violence? Oh, yeah, I think you're supposed to sort of gasp/lol with an "holy FUCK did you see that?!" - I mean, I totally did the first time that he shoots that Nigerian the dude through the back of the shack - yeah, I think it's supposed to be hilarious.

i thought the violence aspect of this movie was channeling Bad Taste and Dead Alive, probably made PJ very happy to see a new filmmaker bringing back his old style.

Guest blicero

1. uses mobile to cry to wife

2. mobile is used to track his location

3. dozen helicopters show up at said location

4. uses mobile to cry to wife

definition of fail

Guest beatfanatic

definition of fail

yeah thats true but you have to understand that people in that type of shock/situation dont always make smart decisions.

definition of fail

seems like you were expecting something groundbreaking and because you didn't get it you have kind of weak criticisms of the film

Guest blicero

definition of fail

seems like you were expecting something groundbreaking and because you didn't get it you have kind of weak criticisms of the film

if my criticisms seem weak, maybe that's because i thought it was a decent film. just not AMAZING like so many of my friends and others in this thread. next to them, my rating of 3/5 seems damning. i just didn't bust through my sweatpants, that's all. i don't see what all the fuss is about.

Think that the "really cool prawn" is actually supposed to be of a different class - know it's not explained directly, but they talk about the one's in the cargo hold being sort of like "worker bees" and, later, when they're pulling that one dood out of his cabin he's all like "this is in no way legal" and they're suprised at his intelligence. Also, since the ship that fell off the big-ass mothership was under his shack, think you're supposed to assume he's one of the "guardian" aliens, or what have you. . . also explains why his son is so smart.

Had a hard time feeling sympathy for the guy crying over his wife too - it was one area where I felt I was taken out of the film, though I was glad it turned out the second time that they were using the call to track him.

just saw district 9, awesome movie. totally anti-negro but great. i think the smart prawn was some kind of king/ queen (you know, like a bee-queen).

Guest analogue wings

The director explained why there is suddenly one really smart prawn in an interview.

Basically all the leader prawns are dead and they use pheremones/hormones to cause new leader prawns to be born like in ant or bee colonies. For some reason it's taken 20 years for this to happen. I guess the "abortions" might have slowed the process down.

I still think most of the haters went in with overly high (or just wrong) expectations. It's not Tarkovsky and it doesn't try to be. Nor is it THE OFFICIAL NELSON MANDELA ANTI APARTHEID ACTION MOVIE. It's just a fucking action movie. It's set in Jo'burg because:

1) That's where the filmmakers live

2) It makes a refreshing change from fucking CGI New York

Guest analogue wings

if my criticisms seem weak, maybe that's because i thought it was a decent film. just not AMAZING like so many of my friends and others in this thread. next to them, my rating of 3/5 seems damning. i just didn't bust through my sweatpants, that's all. i don't see what all the fuss is about.

I agree that the Aint It Cool News mouthbreathers have a lot to answer for re people having unrealistic espectations of this film. Those people only ever go to sci fi movies and they are conditioned to tolerating mediocrity anyway (Star Trek), so to them anything that's better than Transformers and Terminator Salvation is OMG BEST MOVIE EVERRRR

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adjective

a lot of well-reviewed movies hit the top 250 soon after coming out and then slowly drop back into realistic ratings. also you should read "top 250" as "broadest appeal" and it seems less crazy.

Guest abusivegeorge

a lot of well-reviewed movies hit the top 250 soon after coming out and then slowly drop back into realistic ratings. also you should read "top 250" as "broadest appeal" and it seems less crazy.

I will definetly do this.

Guest Donkey Rhubarb

Just watched this.really enjoyed it. Best film ive seen this year. Better than that terminator shite, cant even be arsed with that transformers 2 bollocks. Nice refreshing setting compared to the usual yank tripe. 8/10

Archived