IGNORED

windows 7

Guest sala

Guest assegai

The demo video looks like a flashier vista. If it's one thing that I absolutely need, it's graphic intensive transitions between program windows.

Guest Deep Fried Everything
tell us why you think its ace, you have a pretty hard case to make for yourself there

what he said

Guest ward

I'm running it now on my home rig, it's running faster than any vista package, and is running faster than xp pro

it's not graphic intensive at all, unless you're running an old motherboard with onboard VGA....

it's so clean for a release candidate, wtf...

Guest ward

everything is running fine, i even managed to find drivers for my old audigy 2 zs...

there's no point installing it if you're concerned things won't run, i made sure everything i use ran without issues before i bothered...

Guest ward
HOW DOES PRONOS LOOK ON IT!:!>!?!

THEY LOOK AMAZING, AND IF YOU HAVE LOADS OF PRON UP AT ONCE, AND YOU LOSE WHAT YOU WANTED TO SAVE FOR WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT TO CUM... YOU CAN JUST PREVIEW THE ONE, YES ONE BROWSER ICON AND SEE EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO OPEN. INSTEAD OF HAVING LOADS OF SHIT OPEN, IT JUST STAYS UNDER ONE ICON ON THE TASKBAR.

i installed the 32bit RC release on my desktop ...not RC1 but it was out of the beta stage. it had some bugs like it wouldn't shut down the computer, instead shutting down the hard drive. some xp programs pinned on the taskpar wouldn't respond to the thumbnail preview like soulseek and µtorrent. also was heavy on CPU for older cubase applications. was actually suprised i could installed my m-audio delta 1010 drivers, but i had to run the setup in XP mode like with most older applications. also had problems installing it, it would say that there wasn't any volume on the primary disk even though it was partitioned and formated. this was due to my usb hard drive being plugged causing some kind of a conflict.

seemed to work better on the two laptops i installed it on (the other one being the beta). atleast didn't have that shut down power management issue. i can't be bothered to install the RC1 on the desktop. converting back to XP was liberating.

edit: my desktop computer isn't really state of the art. no dual og quad core. 1.5mb ram, P4 2.4gig processor, enough HD space. but still meets the minimum requirements.

I just read the feature sheet, it failed to impress.

Did they fix the control panel? Do I still have to click 3 times to reach my network connections? I hate the Vista control panel.

the only reason to use windows is fl studio, cooledit pro, audiomulch, vaz modular and thousands of amazing vst plugins & hobby apps unavailable for OSX or lack of insane configuration skills required to get osx running on a 3rd party PC and a big one.. lack of $$

I like it loads better than Vista Ultimate. I currently have it installed on my gaming rig and it runs just as fast gaming wise as I remember when I used XP pro. Just reminds me of a fancier looking XP.

the only reason to use windows is fl studio, cooledit pro, audiomulch, vaz modular and thousands of amazing vst plugins & hobby apps unavailable for OSX or lack of insane configuration skills required to get osx running on a 3rd party PC and a big one.. lack of $$

that's what i meant ;p

I was talking to some dude who was in the beta, and I asked whether I'd get a performance increase switching my VM from xp to windows 7 and he said no? yet you are saying its running faster then xp?

My friend was running it in one of his classes and told me it was benchmarking faster than XP for most apps. He's had nothing but praise for it.

Guest ward
I was talking to some dude who was in the beta, and I asked whether I'd get a performance increase switching my VM from xp to windows 7 and he said no? yet you are saying its running faster then xp?

THE BETA WAS DIFFERENT TO THE RELEASE CANDIDATE

NOOB

Guest analogue wings

It's definitely faster than XP, and so is Vista on current hardware. XP is only faster than Vista on the hardware that was around when Vista came out - hence the "XP is faster" myth.

They got rid of the GDI contention thing in the shell where the Vista UI would just sit there frozen for like 5 seconds under regular use. Shit, it's worth upgrading just for that.

There are pretty much no bullshit new features - they just made the existing features work properly and took out lots of annoying popups and shit.

You can even run your old apps in their own fucking proper XP VM if you're that worried about compatibility.

(I lied - touchscreen is a bullshit new feature)

Guest assegai

So you get to use the operating system for free until it's released then it stops working on your computer? and you have to rebuy/install it?

Guest rex sole

How is ASIO latency on it compared to the horrors of Vista? I bought Vista64 and quickly reverted to XP because the latency on my soundcard went up to 100ms, which is not good for recording anything!

How is ASIO latency on it compared to the horrors of Vista? I bought Vista64 and quickly reverted to XP because the latency on my soundcard went up to 100ms, which is not good for recording anything!

that's strange, i get less than 10ms latency using a cheapy yamaha audiogram 3 and asio4all on vista.

Archived