IGNORED

Scorn - In the Margins / Pin Down 12"

RLR11 - Scorn - In the Margins / Pin Down

post-403-1242893270_thumb.jpg

post-403-1242893289_thumb.jpg

Scorn was created by Mick Harris in 1991. Mick Harris, originally the drummer for seminal death metal band Napalm Death, first started making music with Nik Bullen. When Scorn was first formed it was a strange hybrid of sounds that were described by some as 'ambient metal'. Scorn made 3 albums in this style: Deliverance, Vae Solis, and Colossus. Nik Bullen left Scorn after the album 'Evanescence' in 1994. At the release of 'Evanescence', Scorn had made a distinct shift in musical direction; no more metal elements could be found and it had instead delved deep into a new dubbed-out territory. While it somewhat resembled instrumental dub influenced electronic music, it was lacking the generic 808 synth heavy 'ambient dub' genre elements that were prevalent at that time. Scorn's take on dub was much darker, and had very little in common with reggae or 'chill out' music.

In a very short period of time following Evanescence, Scorn had manufactured some of the deepest, loudest sub bass tones ever recorded. Incorporating more elements of instrumental rap and hip hop into his dub, sound Scorn released a series of hypnotic low frequency laced head nodding music, Gyral (1996), Logghi Barogghi (1996), and Zander (1997). In 2000, Scorn dropped the 'Greetings from Birmingham' album, which many point to as having a sweeping influence on the future genre of Dubstep; its gurgling distorted sub bass lines and staggered snare drums were an utterly new sound for dub influenced recordings. Next was 'Plan B' and 'Stealth,' both heavy hitters surely destined to destroy a lot of speakers. The 2 tracks contained on ‘In the Margins’ show that Mick Harris/Scorn is still on top of his game, exceeding the in your face impact of other dubstep and grime heavy hitters (although don't tell Mick Harris this because he doesn't like the term dubstep nor does he listen to any). Fun fact: it took 4 different master acetate records to properly cut the massive bass energy Scorn produced, the first 3 attempts the grooves were so wide that the needle would jump off the vinyl, so we are extremely excited yet relieved that this record has finally seen the light of day.

limited to 500 copies, individually numbered on clear coke bottle vinyl in a full color sleeve with photography by Mick Harris aka Scorn

order from our webstore here

In the Margins (clip)
Pin Down (clip)

digital mp3 and flac version will be available soon

*because of how long this record has been in hiatus and how long we have been taking preorders we have already sold about 2/3rds our stock so please order fast if you want to be sure to get a copy, we're not even sure if many distributors are going to have a chance to get any.

That looks tight! Glad everything came together!

thanks man, how do you think it turned out?

one funny thing i realized after pressing that we failed to think of before hand is the fish go counter clockwise not clockwise like a record turns! but yeah man it looks awesome thanks for the work you put in. i think mick harris will be really happy.

just played this out on a at a venue with a might fine sound system,

i thought the ceiling was going to fall in the bass shook so hard, out of all the scorn vinyl i've heard i think this is probably the loudest / bassiest cut

Guest Savage

Awesome,,,the man is incredible. Fastest drummer in the world,,,,and an awesome producer too.

Guest terminal duck

just got a copy of this....says 45 RPM on the jacket, but it sounds better at 33.3 ..

looks great, sounds great, nice job...

just got a copy of this....says 45 RPM on the jacket, but it sounds better at 33.3 ..

hah yeah what happened was the place pressing it finished the jackets long before the vinyl was actually made. I planned to have it cut at 45rpm, but they tried to do it that way 3 times and failed so it had to be done at 33.3. So in short yes this record is supposed to be 33.3 rpm

Also thanks for the not breathing it was a great 12".

Guest terminal duck

hah yeah what happened was the place pressing it finished the jackets long before the vinyl was actually made. I planned to have it cut at 45rpm, but they tried to do it that way 3 times and failed so it had to be done at 33.3. So in short yes this record is supposed to be 33.3 rpm

Also thanks for the not breathing it was a great 12".

glad you like it...it's a beast...anyway, i'm suppposed to be getting some TD010's (lich etc.) soon too..

i'll send you one when i do...

• 2 weeks later...

hey wes, yeah send over those lich when they arrive i can't wait to hear it.

and also feel free to keep sending me stuff, i have fun trading goods/catalogues with other good labels

Archived