IGNORED

Guitar synth as controller + hardware poly synth

I have virtually no polyphonic synth hardware right now and i'm looking to expand. nothing super fancy but something that would be good for pad type sounds that is in the $200-500 range. no keyboard needed because ill be using the guitar synth to control it.

right now i have a GK2a roland guitar synth pickup and hardware box, the roland sounds that come with it are obviously lacking however i've noticed that the way they respond to the pickup seems more accurate than when i say hook it into a polyevolver keyboard. The bends and hammerons with the roland box directly sound more fluid and like a real guitar but i noticed on most hardware synths i've used it on the pitch bends and things will just automatically stairstep to the next note value instead of producing a bend (and this makes it sound really terrible especially in a live situation). If anyone has experience with guitar synths i would appreciate some guidance on how to be able to do pitch bends with my gk2a on an external hardware synth.

this is my pickup

GK2A_MIDI.jpg

and with a special cable it connects into this...

rolandgr1.jpg

i call this the brain of my guitar synth setup from here i want to go midi out into the hardware synth

Guest analogue wings

Oberheim Matrix 1000, mang. Same Curtis DCO/VCF chips as the Polyevolver, but there's 6 of them.

Still the most undervalued analogue on the market...

It even has a "guitar synth" mode, though that just puts it into mono mode for the older guitar pickups

Guest analogue wings
get a juno or jupiter. something classic

yeah get one of those $500 midi controllable jupiters

Guest analogue wings

no

well a couple of them have midi, but none of them are $200-$500

the MKS50 is a rack mount alpha juno

the MKS7 is rack mount juno 106, but you need to hit a secret button combo to make it 6 voices, and it cant store patches

The problem with controlling polyphonic synths with a guitar is you can't do legatos and slides between notes polyphonically(is that a word?). Well, you can, but you need a synth that has a guitar-synth mode(like the matrix 1000), or in some cases a multi-timbral synth will do the trick by having 6 channels of midi each controlling one voice(monophonic) so certain notes can be strummed and other notes be bent and slid. I think that totally depends on the capabilities of the guitar controller hardware, however it sounds like it does work with the built in one, so I'm sure you could eventually get it hooked up to a multitimbral. I'd take a good long look at the manual and see how these intricicies in midi are handled by your module, and then look for a synth that will support these easily. Or at least multi-timbral and be able to change the notelogic and glide on mono patches easily so that bends sound correct and natural.

Guest analogue wings

If the synth is actually outputting on 6 different midi channels then you are still all good with a TX81Z. But you are fucked with anything analogue in that price range. Ensoniq ESQ-1 is 8 part multitimbral hybrid (analogue VCFs) and also dirt cheap if you can find one.

If the synth is actually outputting on 6 different midi channels then you are still all good with a TX81Z. But you are fucked with anything analogue in that price range. Ensoniq ESQ-1 is 8 part multitimbral hybrid (analogue VCFs) and also dirt cheap if you can find one.

SCI Sixtrak and Multitrak are multitimbral and six voices in that price range.

• 2 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=1066739:date=Jun 17 2009, 03:35 AM:name=analogue wings)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (analogue wings @ Jun 17 2009, 03:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1066739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the synth is actually outputting on 6 different midi channels then you are still all good with a TX81Z. But you are fucked with anything analogue in that price range. Ensoniq ESQ-1 is 8 part multitimbral hybrid (analogue VCFs) and also dirt cheap if you can find one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

SCI Sixtrak and Multitrak are multitimbral and six voices in that price range.

As is the cheetah MS6.

Archived