IGNORED

jackson pollock

kaini

i hadn't a direct comparison in mind; moreso that both were people who primarily brought new *ideas* to the table rather than technique or whatever

if you were to make a direct comparison, i dunno... eno/rothko? or is rothko more stars of the lid?

I see Eno being more like color-field paintings, if you really have to make a comparison.

Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but I know from inside sources that painting is dead. Sorry.

eno/rothko could work

phillip glass/sol lewitt or frank stella?

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I remember reading an article years ago about how they discovered fractal patterns in pollock's paintings.

I remember reading an article years ago about how they discovered fractal patterns in pollock's paintings.

that really seems like it'd be coincidental; while he was into the whole automatic writing aspect of surrealism in his programmatic flicks of the brush, he was also drunk as shit all the time.

i still think the native american iconography in his earlier work is sicker, he was such a wild west motherfucker

Andre Masson and the first generation of surrealist did much more interesting drip or automatic paintings imo, but I dig some of Pollock's stuff like "Lavender Mist" and "Blue Poles".

1123472349_large-image_maxeymifnlg.jpg

Max Ernst invented the drip painting technique and taught it to Pollock

The first manifesto of surrealism dealt a lot with automatic processes (writing, painting and so on), Andre Masson was the first to exploit this technique ... Ernst didn't teach Pollock. Pollock studied with Thomas Hart Benton.

The point is- Masson is better than any of the painters mentioned in this post.

AMselfprt.jpg

29460-004-B8F681C1.jpg

Andre-MASSON-Le-Labyr.jpg

mnotaur12.13b.jpg

• 2 months later...

big fan. an ideas man. a painter version of brian eno.

what about you?

for me it's the height of the non-art of the 20th century ... no talent hack reaches the pinnacle for no substantive reason beyond 'compelling sales pitch' in the form of personal story ... artwork is bought by vacuous artmarket who reside at the pinnacle of the moneyed classes whom are willing to buy into just the sales pitch alone ...

perfectly encapsulating the idea of the disposability of much of the popular culture during that time ... so maybe in honour of buying into that all i'd need to would be to buy a brochure on it and chuck that on the wall ... so i can buy into and celebrate the idea of the idea of the lack of intresting ideas .. rather than enjoying a nicely realized peice of visual art ...

fS

Guest my usernames always really suck

what about you?

for me it's the height of the non-art of the 20th century ... no talent hack reaches the pinnacle for no substantive reason beyond 'compelling sales pitch' in the form of personal story ... artwork is bought by vacuous artmarket who reside at the pinnacle of the moneyed classes whom are willing to buy into just the sales pitch alone ...

perfectly encapsulating the idea of the disposability of much of the popular culture during that time ... so maybe in honour of buying into that all i'd need to would be to buy a brochure on it and chuck that on the wall ... so i can buy into and celebrate the idea of the idea of the lack of intresting ideas .. rather than enjoying a nicely realized peice of visual art ...

fS

I like you. We should hang out if I ever visit Australia :3

what about you?

fS

I like you. We should hang out if I ever visit Australia :3

you're on ..

Archived