IGNORED

lucid dreaming

Guest viscosity

What i find helps most is two techniques, the first called snap. Decide what you want to do. Lie down, relax completely and imagine yourself in a field, on a hill, whatever. Find things you can feel with your five senses, walking around in the grass, smelling the grass, feeling the wind, etc.

After about 10 minutes, snap out of it and focus on your goal alone. After about five minutes you should be projecting. But fear can have a strong grip and keep you from doing it.

what kind of goal? and you end up doing that?

going where you want to go, and usually, yes.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could say to my dream self to make this not happen, or a way I could kind of program myself to test the waters first, ie jump from like 2 stories instead of 20 first. Obvious "just doing it" doesn't help, i've gotta find a way to set it in stone and embed it into my dream personality.

A tip I remember is to shout something like "increase lucidity" or "increase control now" to try to command your subconscious. Apparently, stating your intentions outright just gives your consciousness more of a presence in the dream.

But from years of telling myself what to do (ie light switch, un readable clock, illegible writing, etc) it happens at random from time to time.

After thinking about it for a while I believe the trigger in my dream was Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn playing on the teacher's stereo. I can't be sure.

Actually, first lucid dream I had was triggered by Fleetwood Mac's "You can go your own way"... interesting

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could say to my dream self to make this not happen, or a way I could kind of program myself to test the waters first, ie jump from like 2 stories instead of 20 first. Obvious "just doing it" doesn't help, i've gotta find a way to set it in stone and embed it into my dream personality.

A tip I remember is to shout something like "increase lucidity" or "increase control now" to try to command your subconscious. Apparently, stating your intentions outright just gives your consciousness more of a presence in the dream.

But from years of telling myself what to do (ie light switch, un readable clock, illegible writing, etc) it happens at random from time to time.

After thinking about it for a while I believe the trigger in my dream was Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn playing on the teacher's stereo. I can't be sure.

Actually, first lucid dream I had was triggered by Fleetwood Mac's "You can go your own way"... interesting

I would be afraid that trying to shout in my dream would make me shout irl and wake me up. It's something to think about trying though. And a musical cue in your dream sounds cool! I had a dream in high school that i wrote a story about that wasn't lucid but it was so deep and detailed i remembered everything when I woke up. I expanded on some of the stuff in the story, but for the most part it was the core of the dream. But the thing that struck me so much was that throughout the whole dream i heard an alien version of pink floyd's "breathe" playing throughout a city and building i went through, coming from seemingly non existent speakers. Kind of lie when I see "heaven" depicted in cartoons and movies and there's this ethereal angelic music playing that seems to blend into the background and has no solid source.

I used to have two composition books full of dreams I had from about age 15-20 but i destroyed them last year in an attempt to move forward in life and not "live in the past", but I sorta regret it now as I could've written some good stories from those dreams.

Kind of off topic but I had an extremely vivid dream last night that I was convinced was real, and in it I became enlightened to the fact that the waking state was actually a (malicious) induced dream state... And when I woke up this morning I had feelings of major confusion panic and distrust which took about 30 mins to wear off.

Also off topic I'd like to experience an O.B.E.

Out of body experiences are cool, I've had a few. Mostly on acid though. However, there have been a few near death or very scary situations that have brought them on. I sorta had one a few years ago when I got the news my close friend had died. I was present, but I saw myself and the group of friends I was with from a birds eye view, it was very brief though. It was right in that gut wrenching heart sinking moment, and it lasted maybe 10 seconds tops. I asked later, and one other person said they sorta had the same feeling but not from a birds eye view, more so just "outside the circle" (we all fell into a circle doing giant, sad group hug).

Regardless, most of the one's i've had, either drug induced, or real life experience induced, are much more interesting in hindsight. While it's happening it's kind of hard to expirence it b/c your brain is obviously having some sort of reality distortion, so your normal "experience of life" is quite a bit altered too (at least in my expirence). But then when you come out of it, or think about it later, it seems MUCH MORE vivid and your brain can kind of calculate, or interpret it better than while it is happening.

I wish i could give a better description of my "feelings" when I experienced this on acid, but it's been many years, and I'm sure I could've explained it just fine within the months after tripping. I can recall allof the visual aspects fine though.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I use to do this A LOT years ago . It got really bad because I didn't want to stop doing it , thus keeping me in bed half of the day .

Strange times....strange times

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Masonic Boom

Sorry for being annoying newbie - confused by rules that say SEARCH ARCHIVES FIRST TO SEE IF YOUR TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED then a few lines down it says DO NOT RESURRECT OLD THREADS - so please don't shout at me if I'm doing this wrong.

My friend is taking me to a course in Lucid Dreaming rub by some Buddhist monks. I'm slightly suspicious of this as I'm kinda scared that it will be all teaching meditation techniques but erm. This is the description anyway:

Lucid Dreaming can be of both spiritual and psychological benefit. This weekend will explore the techniques, practice and benefits of lucid dreaming from both the western and the Tibetan Buddhist traditions. In addition to learning how to dream lucidly, there will also be an overview of the history and science of lucid dreaming. The course will also cover shadow integration techniques and offer a detailed exploration of the stages of sleep and sleep disorders.

I wasn't aware of any spiritual benefits but I'm open to interpretations.

Used to be able to do it quite frequently, almost by will, when I was a child but it went away by my early 20s and only ever happens by accident any more, usually when I'm stressed or overtired, so it would be nice to learn how to do it properly again. I suppose it comes down to having to hold a proper job and maintain regular sleeping patterns. Oh, also and the morning routine imposing on your brain before you're able to process and recall the dream events.

Sleep composing is kind of a different tangential topic to lucid dreaming, though, as you don't have to be lucid in order to compose in your sleep. Often I wake up with songs stuck in my head that I heard while asleep, but on waking, I don't recognise them at all. If they last long enough for me to remember them while awake, it often turns out that they are actually quite good - or at least catchy.

The problem is, of course, slipping straight into the studio and recording these ideas right away before the memory fades. Which isn't always possible if you're working a dayjob. Before I had a proper job, I used to keep a 4-track at the end of the bed so that I could wake up and sing the song into it before it faded, just to get the melody down and a bit of the arrangement.

Sleep composing has provided a hell of a lot better results than lucid dreaming... still, I'm interested in what these Buddhists have to say about it all.

Guest Pennywise

sometimes i'm half awake and half asleep. Once in this state, in the morning, i saw a greyish figure move really quick towards me then sort of attack me, i woke up and thought 'that was pretty scary'. true story.

Guest Pennywise

oh, and a once had a nightmare where i was staring out of my window at night for ages, because i thought i could see a figure. I stared at the shape for ages and ages, and suddenly it moved really fast and that was pretty scary too.

does anyone have the problem where all the piano keys are jumbled up? That happens to me every time. Doesn't matter if it's lucid or non-lucid.

Guest Masonic Boom

sometimes i'm half awake and half asleep. Once in this state, in the morning, i saw a greyish figure move really quick towards me then sort of attack me, i woke up and thought 'that was pretty scary'. true story.

Hypnagogic state (I have no idea if I spelled that right or not) can produce these kinds of hallucinations.

Kevin Shields of MBV (one of my favourite musicians) has talked about using hypnagogic states as musical inspiration.

Guest Pennywise

Hypnagogic state (I have no idea if I spelled that right or not) can produce these kinds of hallucinations.

Kevin Shields of MBV (one of my favourite musicians) has talked about using hypnagogic states as musical inspiration.

yeh i looked on wikipedia about it and this link makes sense My link sleep paralysis causes us to see things like this

Guest Masonic Boom

This is probably why I spend so much time sleep composing. Spend all day mucking around recording, and you end up doing it in your sleep.

Though ARGH I just followed a link from that page to SLEEP YOGA and now I'm terrified this is what these Tibetan monks are going to try to make me do this weekend.

I don't want to do yoga in my sleep, I freaking HATE yoga. I just want creative inspiration.

Guest uptowndevil

i don't know if anyone made this observation yet, but i used to lucid dream the most frequently after waking up with a hangover and laying in bed until i fell back asleep.

i did notice that the more i partook in lucid dreaming, the more vivid my non-lucid dreams became. that probably sounds like a good thing, but it proved to have certain consequences. my dreams started approaching a reality-like consciousness with a sort of emotional lag upon waking. i finally decided to stop for a while when my brother died in front of me in a dream and i woke up crying hysterically.

since i've stopped practicing i haven't had any other episodes like that, but i also remember my dreams a lot less often and accurately.. win some, lose some i guess. i'll probably go back to it eventually, towards the end i was able to do things like fly, make anyone appear, crush buildings with my mind, change the landscape, telepathically communicate with animals, etc. it was certainly a lot of fun.

Guest Masonic Boom

Is it actually the hangover that makes you lucid dream, or the waking up and going back to sleep? Because the latter is actually one of the techniques that I know for lucid dreaming - if you think about the dream you were having pre-wake up then you slip back into it again, except conscious of what's going on?

It's one of the side effects of my medication, that when I come off it/go back on it, it produces incredibly vivid dreams. Yet I often find the more vivid, the less likely they are to be lucid, because they are almost too realistic it doesn't cross your mind that you could be dreaming.

There's a website somewhere, where someone noted the effects of various different kinds of cheese on your dreaming if you eat them before you go to bed. Can't remember which one was the best (if it was really stinky blue cheeses or soft cheeses that had the better effect). I need to google that up and then go get some cheese for some proper Yarg dreams.

Guest uptowndevil

Is it actually the hangover that makes you lucid dream, or the waking up and going back to sleep?

i think it was the sort of disconnected state while laying in a semi-conscious sleep that made the transition so easy.

the technique that works for me the best is setting your ipod on some speakers, and have the alarm play a short little ambient song (i like to set it to ilkae, flore or sink lateral), set it about 4 - 5 hours after you go to sleep and when it wakes you up don't move at all and keep your eyes closed and go back into the dream you were just in. you just try to picture it in your head, where you were, just imagine it, don't think about anything else. this technique works best for me, i've had almost 50 lucid dreams since starting may of last year, which is pretty decent.

keeping a dream journal is probably the most important thing though

this is similar to the technique i use with a cd clock radio.

waking yourself multiple times during a nights sleep can induce lucid dreaming and astral projection.

also napping during the late morning and afternoon can be an amazing way to stimulate dream activity,

using the same method described above for waking and falling back to sleep.

one trick for enhancing dream activity and to recall dreams more accurately is to go to bed on an empty stomach.

being in a state of digestion can change the themes of your dreams negatively and can limit your ability to remember them.

(great thread)

considering you basically only remember dreams you wake up in the middle of, napping is probably the best way to do this, imo. i used to have this happen all the time as a kid, which, i think, stemmed from having to learn how to escape nightmares. it always started the same- i'd be dreaming and then lift in to the air and then it would start. after a while i figured out how to shake myself while dreaming, to wake up. i remember that as quite a strange feeling.. like my body was stuck in quicksand and my mind was in another dimension. afterwards, i'd lucid dream randomly, flying around and stuff. the only times it happens now is when i run out of weed and dreams start to appear again.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could say to my dream self to make this not happen, or a way I could kind of program myself to test the waters first, ie jump from like 2 stories instead of 20 first.

I find just jumping in the air and testing the gravity works. i never have full on flying dreams, or if i do it's assisted flight, but i have a lot of low gravity dreams where you can perform all kinds of cool 20ft leaps with somersaults and what not in a kind of slowmo moon style gravity. Some of most terrifying dreams have been lucid. They can be a real double edged sword.

the technique that works for me the best is setting your ipod on some speakers, and have the alarm play a short little ambient song (i like to set it to ilkae, flore or sink lateral), set it about 4 - 5 hours after you go to sleep and when it wakes you up don't move at all and keep your eyes closed and go back into the dream you were just in. you just try to picture it in your head, where you were, just imagine it, don't think about anything else. this technique works best for me, i've had almost 50 lucid dreams since starting may of last year, which is pretty decent.

keeping a dream journal is probably the most important thing though

this is similar to the technique i use with a cd clock radio.

waking yourself multiple times during a nights sleep can induce lucid dreaming and astral projection.

also napping during the late morning and afternoon can be an amazing way to stimulate dream activity,

using the same method described above for waking and falling back to sleep.

one trick for enhancing dream activity and to recall dreams more accurately is to go to bed on an empty stomach.

being in a state of digestion can change the themes of your dreams negatively and can limit your ability to remember them.

(great thread)

astral projection is not real

what people claim to be astral projection is actually just a wake initiated lucid dream

what people claim to be astral projection is actually just a wake initiated lucid dream

oh yeah? every time you feel that chill in your spine and tiny bit of remorse when you've just finished masturbating? that's because i'm watching you via my astral projection.

oh and insert the obligatory sex joke revolving around astral projections or something like that......

yeah that's what people usually think until you get into it and try things like the card trick

Archived