IGNORED

the top 10 people you'd like to kick in the crotch

sinicalypse

See, I don't do any of those things, so I'm not a hipster I guess? Sweet!

You attached a derogatory term (bollocks) to the person who thought art to be "transcendental" or "spiritual." Further you attached those rather large subjects to a very specific movement that only really happened for a few years when really they've been around for thousands of years. This to me implies that you don't think much of the idea that art is "transcendental" or "spiritual." So I must conclude that you either don't think much of art or that you don't think art is neither of those.

And as for you. What the funk are you talking about? I applied what subjects to which specific movement? I didn't mention any movements, what are you talking about? Do you actually read what I write, or do you just see certain words and then get a bit angry? I just said that TO ME, if you think art is only about being transcendental or spritual, it's a bit of a bollocky hippy way of looking at things. I didn't say it wasn't art, I didn't say that those things don't make art, I didn't say that it makes anything not art. I honestly don't go in for that kind of thing that much, it just doesn't communicate well with me, but I would never say that it wasn't art, that'd just be stupid. I would never say that anything is not art, I'm not one for imposing my own rules upon something, universal truth doesn't sit well with me. I don't descriminate with art, i consider all forms of what is presented to me as art, art. that's not to say that I like some more than others, I do, but I don't feel that just because I find something is more successful as a piece of work than another work, that i can call the other not art.

That's straight up shit

I dont have to enjoy or believe in what a work is saying (communicating) for me to consider it art (e.g., me calling something that is "spiritual" hippy bollocks), it just is. If i have thought about it, read about it, heard about it, witnessed it, it is a piece of art

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not naming any of the C's as anything but internet personas.......

but as a rule, yes this is what a scenester is like and might I add:

Marijuana and Acid are to Hippies as Cocaine and Meth are to Hipsters

Yay!

1) Mother Theresa

2) Mahatma Gandhi

3) Winston Churchill

4) Martin Luther King Jr.

5) Jesus Christ

6) Anyone who runs an orphanage or animal rescue

7) The Dalai Lama

8) Louis Pasteur

9) Jim Henson

10) Helen Keller Anne Frank

Haha!

Guest Lube Saibot

it's definitely NOT art.

Oh wow. You sound like my parents.

Can I ask what exactly makes it 'not art'? Because it's not painted?

Let me use a simile to exemplify and simplify: if Hirst was a musician instead of a shark embalmer or whatever the fuck he is, one of his most famous pieces (and one of his ostensibly msot critically celebrated) would be a 10 second recording of him saying "i have 1 million pounds worth of rare vintage synths".

edit: your parents sound like clearheaded individuals.

Guest Iain C

I'm too drunk to interpret that so I'm just going to laugh.

Also, not a similie. It's an analogy, and not a very clear one at all.

I still can't think of anyone I'd really kick in the crotch... Other than Patrick Wolf, yeah, I'll go with Patrick Wolf.

Tom Cruise, Katy Perry, Marky-Mark, John Hagee, Fred Phelps, Sarah Palin, Britney Spears's ex-husband, Johnny Knoxville because he likes it, that guy that gave me a funny look at Wendy's because I was in dirty sweatclothes and flip-flops after tearing down a rained-out campsite and That Chick With a Penis and Ridiculous Fashion Taste That Likes The Same Synth and Drumkit in Every Song.

don't sleep on miley cyrus. everytime you walk into a big-box retailer in america you're greeted by her scary fucking mug coming at you like 10 different ways:

miley_cyrus.jpg

i shall flood that out of my synaptical receptors with a MGD and some plasma screen internet wii mario kart with the gamecube controllers love.

if Hirst was a musician instead of a shark embalmer or whatever the fuck he is, one of his most famous pieces (and one of his ostensibly msot critically celebrated) would be a 10 second recording of him saying "i have 1 million pounds worth of rare vintage synths".

so what the FUCK are you doing on this board?

also, i hate hirst, ybas, stuckists AND anti-stuckists (ha). guess that makes me artsier than any of you. and as its so fun bitching about artists, the two people i can think of right now whose wormy genitals i'd gladly crush are dali and his fag fucking mother magritte. FUCKING COCKSUCKERS WHO CANT PAINT FOR SHIT

Guest Iain C

if Hirst was a musician instead of a shark embalmer or whatever the fuck he is, one of his most famous pieces (and one of his ostensibly msot critically celebrated) would be a 10 second recording of him saying "i have 1 million pounds worth of rare vintage synths".

also, i hate hirst, ybas, stuckists AND anti-stuckists (ha). guess that makes me artsier than any of you. and as its so fun bitching about artists, the two people i can think of right now whose wormy genitals i'd gladly crush are dali and his fag fucking mother magritte. FUCKING COCKSUCKERS WHO CANT PAINT FOR SHIT

I like this girl, and that's coming from someone who finds women both physically and conceptually digusting

Guest analogue wings

star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-200505030524033201.jpg

good... GOOOOD...

scenesters/hipsters are the new hippy.

At least the hipsters don't pretend to believe in anything

Smelling bad/not showering, dressing like 80's rejects, listening to horrible trendy music, and being assholes are what they believe in...right?

just as bad as any hippy.....

perhaps worse....

hipsters are a front for yuppies who think they're artistic. i guarantee you that at the core of 95% of them is the vain judgmental status-before-all-else mentality not too unprevalent from, say, wrigleyville chicago or any other stuck up well-to-do area of a major metropolis. the hipsters exist... well i can't tell you. it's beyond my capacities for thought and/or logic.. i think it's a reponse to chicks, so these guys doll up in nuthuggers don't shave for a week like the rebels they are, don some chuck taylors, and then like, i dunno what hipsters do... talk about brighteyes?!@

Guest Lube Saibot

Apparently, involuntary trolling.

Guest Iain C

His name is Lube Sailbot. Say it out loud, break it into syllables.

Why is no one else suspicious?

Because you're too young to remember Mortal Kombat.

And as for you. What the funk are you talking about? I applied what subjects to which specific movement? I didn't mention any movements, what are you talking about? Do you actually read what I write, or do you just see certain words and then get a bit angry? I just said that TO ME, if you think art is only about being transcendental or spritual, it's a bit of a bollocky hippy way of looking at things. I didn't say it wasn't art, I didn't say that those things don't make art, I didn't say that it makes anything not art. I honestly don't go in for that kind of thing that much, it just doesn't communicate well with me, but I would never say that it wasn't art, that'd just be stupid. I would never say that anything is not art, I'm not one for imposing my own rules upon something, universal truth doesn't sit well with me. I don't descriminate with art, i consider all forms of what is presented to me as art, art. that's not to say that I like some more than others, I do, but I don't feel that just because I find something is more successful as a piece of work than another work, that i can call the other not art.

That's straight up shit

I dont have to enjoy or believe in what a work is saying (communicating) for me to consider it art (e.g., me calling something that is "spiritual" hippy bollocks), it just is. If i have thought about it, read about it, heard about it, witnessed it, it is a piece of art

I never got angry, I was just generally curious about what your thoughts were on art. I guess it took some back and forth before I got some actual insight. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :smile:

Guest Iain C

Oh it's Saibot.

Less funny that way.

Back on topic before people notice my embarrassing mistake...

What is it with Australians?

Archived