IGNORED

Name that spider

Overand

I'm wondering if any of you can help me identify the genus of this little fucker. I found in my room today, he was about 3.5 or 4 inches across and brown colored. Biggest fucking spider I've ever found outside of a glass case.

I apologize for the crap quality, the only camera I had was my laptop's webcam.3828833971_ec68f5b20c_o.jpg

3828833905_147114f928_o.jpg

video of this fucker in action http://www.vimeo.com/6140253

just a normal house spider - is that a pint glass? if so then it's pretty much the same size as the one that attacked me in the middle of the night in my old house. it pounced on my tit!

just a normal house spider - is that a pint glass? if so then it's pretty much the same size as the one that attacked me in the middle of the night in my old house. it pounced on my tit!

It's not a pint glass it's a clear plastic poster tube. I'm hoping you're right about ti being a house spider, apparently they look similar and are found in similar locations to hobo spiders which can fuck you up with a bite.

It's not a pint glass it's a clear plastic poster tube. I'm hoping you're right about ti being a house spider, apparently they look similar and are found in similar locations to hobo spiders which can fuck you up with a bite.

hmm, well i hope not. i think the body/abdomen is too small for it to be a hobo.

posted this not too long ago (woodlouse spider);

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/44311-sketchy-as-fuck-spider-in-my-bathroom/

it's a very common Giant House Spider. same as normal house spiders but bigger. you should encourage these as they prey on Hobo Spiders, which, as you mentioned could give you a reasonably painful bite.

Guest Pennywise

i would of screamed and cried like a little girl. I HATE SPIDERS!!

Guest countchocula

It also looks kind of like a brown recluse whose bite will fuck you up much more than a hobo spider. Do you get recluses in the UK?

yep - giant house spider (tegenaria duellica) to be exact. very normal although they are quite scary looking. not at all dangerous though.

no, we don't get recluse spiders in the UK. officially there are no "dangerous" spiders at all in the UK, but recent reports have questioned that somewhat with sightings of False Widows on the south coast and a few other more exotic species gaining footholds in isolated areas...

Guest Iain C

I've seen these gents in my house and garden from time to time... I'm really not bothered by spiders, I don't mind having them in the house. They eat smaller and more annoying forms of wildlife.

Guest bitroast

yeah, never seen them, don't have thme in australia. kind of reminds me of the huntsman, which i've seen billions of but they cause no trouble. pic

Guest bitroast

was bitten by a white tailed as a kid. i loved spiders though so it was kind of a painful inconvenient privilege.

800px-Whitetailbig.jpg

Guest Calx Sherbet

i think those are pretty fucking huge. i'm glad stuff like that is nowhere near me. a daddy long legs is the biggest bugger i ever see

Guest Iain C

Reading this thread, I'm considering getting a spider as a pet when I move into my new house at the end of the month. We're not allowed cats or dogs, and it'd be nice to have something small and sweet to care for. Has anyone here kept spiders?

Guest countchocula

This is why I love living in Minnesota. There are no poisonous insects or snakes and most of the insects are rather small.

Where in the world do you live?

I live in Vancouver, apparently some of these larger spiders are common in the Pacific Northwest.

edit: I'm guessing it was probably a giant house spider, I guess I should have kept him as a pet in case any hobos were around. I'm not too bothered by spiders but this fucker looked like he'd been lifting weights.

it's a very common Giant House Spider. same as normal house spiders but bigger. you should encourage these as they prey on Hobo Spiders, which, as you mentioned could give you a reasonably painful bite.

yeah, let it run around your house a bit..:lol:

Guest spraaaa

fuckdamn, I just caught a hobo (I think?)

dsc00338hqy.jpg

just looked at this thread a couple hours ago and this guy shows up in my bathroom 5 minutes ago.

just looked at this thread a couple hours ago and this guy shows up in my bathroom 5 minutes ago.

Goddamn, WATMM's spreading spiders.

Archived