IGNORED

Beck

Capsaicin

question for those who really hate beck b/c he's a Scientologist. Are you really embedded to a different religion or not religious at all?

I ask this mainly b/c I don't really see religion as a buying point of an album really. If i were a scientologist, i wouldn't see his albums as any more appealing. If it's good it's good. Who cares, it's not like he's subliminally trying to convert you or something. Some of you act like he killed your parents or some shit.

I hear that, man. The only time a musician's religion affects me one way or another is if it comes off prominantly in their lyrics. With Beck, it doesn't at all. So I don't give a fuck what his religious beliefs are.

IIRC Beck was born into Scientology, so was his wife. That often takes on a different meaning and relationship (i.e. more nuanced and subdued often) for an individual than those who voluntarily joined it. The loudest Scientologists are usually ones who not only joined as adults but took on roles as spokespeople for the organization.

Many pop singers often have unexpected religious or ideological affiliations. Prince was a Jehovah's Witness from 2001 until his death.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I waved at beck once, also shook hands with Iggy Pop. I asked Marylin Manson for directions in Baltimore without realizing it was him.  Never heard of him at the time.

modern guilt is a piece of shit. dangermouse laid a fat fucking egg on this record, no surprise. flat shit-awful production that sounds like it's being sprayed out of a garden hose. no stars.

but yeah... I actually listened to Modern Guilt for the first time since I bought it. It's very very very "Beck" but yeah.... the mixing of those drums is just really shitty. WTF dangermouse. I thought everyone cums over his shit?

for those disappointed with danger mousse's production there's an acoustic version of modern guilt floating around on the web, and it's amazing, i know it's old news but i just stumbled into it... just my kind of beck! =^D

I used to listen to Beck a lot more when I was younger, I haven't kept up with him in years. Probably should check out some of the last few albums sometime this summer. Beck always made good summer music imo.

Archived